List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
Id consider trading adams back to WA if the price was right. He wouldnt mind, so it could be a win-win. Might in fact be better for his injuries if he wasnt playing on the hard surface regularly, heavy bloke.

Young is similar in terms of strengths and weaknesses, would go straight into the same role.

Would pay for the majority of West's points, you would think.
If he wants to go I would, otherwise I would keep him if he wants to stay. Big unit, strong, great hands and a lovely long kick. We saw v North and Geelong when he came back into the side he immediately made a huge difference to our defence (him and our 250 game champ). I think Young is still too raw and not strong enough to play his role to be honest.

ErnieSigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Id consider trading adams back to WA if the price was right. He wouldnt mind, so it could be a win-win. Might in fact be better for his injuries if he wasnt playing on the hard surface regularly, heavy bloke.

Young is similar in terms of strengths and weaknesses, would go straight into the same role.

Would pay for the majority of West's points, you would think.
All great in theory but how we going to get a fair price (in our terms)for Adams? The player can’t be traded against his will. If he did want to go, he might not care about helping us out and there are Only 2 suitors in Wa, not sure either need him.
It’s mostly slanting to the players in trades

If he wants to go I would, otherwise I would keep him if he wants to stay. Big unit, strong, great hands and a lovely long kick. We saw v North and Geelong when he came back into the side he immediately made a huge difference to our defence (him and our 250 game champ). I think Young is still too raw and not strong enough to play his role to be honest.
Young is a few years away. Great intercept player but his one on one stuff is lagging due mostly to age/size. He's still such a pup.

I find it hard to rate them. Currently have Rozee after Ben but before Max, mainly because of the knee.
Interesting a few experts still have Max going higher than Ben.
It's a hard one because apparently he seriously damaged two other ligaments along with his ACL which is cause for serious alarm.

Interesting a few experts still have Max going higher than Ben.
It's a hard one because apparently he seriously damaged two other ligaments along with his ACL which is cause for serious alarm.
Yeah it scares me. I also like Ben’s versatility so even without the knee I might have him higher. I have trouble rating talls though.

So can we summarise the recent discussion (for those of us who know nothing about the potential draftees) that any pick in our range (i.e. up to and including pick 7) gets us a "potentially" really, really good player?
Draft experts seem to thing this year's top 20-25 players are as good as any draft has been, then it becomes a regular draft in terms of talent after that.

We luck out by getting a pick before the West bid, effectively getting two first round picks this year to go with our two first round picks (plus Schache, plus Crozier a former pick 20) last year.

If there is one thing to be gained from this train-wreck of a season is that we've bought in a 3rd of a starting AFL side in terms of first round picks in just a couple of years, noting English should play more football in 2019.
English, Naughton, Richards, Crozier (older), Schache, Pick6 2018, West, and two handy FS options next year (with two more who might be ok).

Queensland must seem like the end of the Earth to young newly drafted players. Here they were looking forward to being part of the excitement and buzz of the AFL community and they get sent off to Brisbane or Gold Coast. Nice climate but no one knows them from Adam, Metricon is 3/4 empty, the schoolkids are into the Broncos and play rugby league or soccer, and all the ACTION seems to be taking place down south. Even Sydney is more attractive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So can we summarise the recent discussion (for those of us who know nothing about the potential draftees) that any pick in our range (i.e. up to and including pick 7) gets us a "potentially" really, really good player?

I think no matter what, the projected top 6 or 7 seems to be quite clear talent wise. I haven't looked too much into the likely top 10/15/20 or whatever, but from little bits I've seen I'd actually be worried if we don't have a top 6 pick. My guess talent wise:

1- Luko
2 - Walsh
3 - Smith
4 - Rankine
5 - M King
6 - B King

More than likely we end up with a King, but if rumours are true & Gold Coast take both with their compo pick, the prospect of any of those slipping is amazing.

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah it scares me. I also like Ben’s versatility so even without the knee I might have him higher. I have trouble rating talls though.
I agree I'd probably lean towards Ben too even without the knee, but definitely would now. Personally would much rather Smith or Rozee or one of the other top five guys slipping than either of the twins though tbh. Then again I was dead set against Naughton last year and that's looking like a very dumb opinion atm.

Southern 8

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree I'd probably lean towards Ben too even without the knee, but definitely would now. Personally would much rather Smith or Rozee or one of the other top five guys slipping than either of the twins though tbh. Then again I was dead set against Naughton last year and that's looking like a very dumb opinion atm.
I'm with you but just got this nagging feeling the King's are going to be special. I know a lot of risk with high KP picks but reckon these two could change that worries about Max knee though. Once they put a bit more weight on. Interesting now Ben has gone forward after Max injury he now says that's his preferred position. Kicked 7 on Will Kelly who was in good form.

I wasn't overly keen on the Schache trade, sometimes being wrong brings such joy.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All great in theory but how we going to get a fair price (in our terms)for Adams? The player can’t be traded against his will. If he did want to go, he might not care about helping us out and there are Only 2 suitors in Wa, not sure either need him.
It’s mostly slanting to the players in trades

Adams is on the record as saying he wouldnt mind going back to WA because of reasons, but that he is also happy to stay. so in terms of player openness to trade possibilities, he is the perfect candidate. He also has some currency, and is someone whose role we could cover with existing and up and coming players - Wood has demonstrated that he pretty much only can play that role. Young is the understudy that we probably dont want to loose due to lack of opportunities.

So yeah, im not saying push him out the door, but entertain offers in a year where we will need points? no brainer IMO

Freos 2nd would get the job done for me. Part of a deal for (mostly harmless) Gaff is also not out of the realms of possibility,.

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
Adams is on the record as saying he wouldnt mind going back to WA because of reasons, but that he is also happy to stay. so in terms of player openness to trade possibilities, he is the perfect candidate. He also has some currency, and is someone whose role we could cover with existing and up and coming players - Wood has demonstrated that he pretty much only can play that role. Young is the understudy that we probably dont want to loose due to lack of opportunities.

So yeah, im not saying push him out the door, but entertain offers in a year where we will need points? no brainer IMO

Freos 2nd would get the job done for me. Part of a deal for (mostly harmless) Gaff is also not out of the realms of possibility,.
I would rather go into deficit than lose Adams. Adams is best 22 when fit. He should be able to get over those injuries eventually, surely, hopefully, please.

ErnieSigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Think you are dreaming a bit there.
The ‘on the record’ was 2 years back. Since then We extended him to the end of 2020 last year,he was happy and no mention of a return.
To think we could get a low second round for him is very optimistic. Look at the facts, he is forever injured, though he looks strong/his one on one skills are questionable and we got way less for Hamling who was better performed.

Last edited:

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm with you but just got this nagging feeling the King's are going to be special. I know a lot of risk with high KP picks but reckon these two could change that worries about Max knee though. Once they put a bit more weight on. Interesting now Ben has gone forward after Max injury he now says that's his preferred position. Kicked 7 on Will Kelly who was in good form.
Yeah I probably overstated it a bit. I wouldn't be gutted or anything if we got one of them, in fact I think in particular Ben would be a really good pick up. I know Bevo would love his versatility and with his height he's got the potential to be that guy to lock down on the big dominant key forwards. A role we still don't really have anyone to play despite our key defensive stocks.

FUTURES SQUADS
This Sunday some of the best up and coming talent in the TAC Cup will take to the field in two futures’ games at IKON Park.

Sunday 12th August @ IKON Park

9.30am Vic Country v Queensland

12pm Vic Metro v NSW/ACT

See the squads below:

VIC METRO

NO. SURNAME FIRSTNAME HT WT REGION
2 Mellis Mitch 174 64 Eastern Ranges
3 Black Chayce 175 71 Eastern Ranges
4 Rocci Lucas 175 71 Western Jets
5 D’Intinosante Joshua 176 71 Northern Knights
6 Johnson Lachie 175 79 Calder Cannons
7 Minton-Connell Harrison 177 73 Calder Cannons
8 Ramsay Sam 178 69 Calder Cannons
9 Stapleton Lachlan 179 67 Eastern Ranges
10 Kyriazis Steven 181 71 Western Jets
11 Carafa Adam 181 76 Northern Knights
12 Mott Daniel 182 73 Calder Cannons
13 Potter Lachlan 184 70 Northern Knights
14 Cassar Darcy 184 75 Western Jets
15 Honey Josh 185 79 Western Jets
16 Ralphsmith Hugo 186 70 Sandringham Dragons
17 Bergman Miles 186 75 Sandringham Dragons
18 Sturgess Ryan 188 78 Northern Knights
19 Zalac Mihaele 190 80 Eastern Ranges
20 McCormack Billy 196 78 Eastern Ranges
21 Newman Brodie 191 88 Calder Cannons
22 May Josh 196 83 Oakleigh Chargers
23 Howard Nathan 198 84 Northern Knights
24 Emerson Jeka 198 87 Western Jets
25 Bryan Nick 199 80 Oakleigh Chargers
VIC COUNTRY

NO. SURNAME FIRSTNAME HT WT REGION
1 Brown Kobe 170 67 Bendigo Pioneers
2 Chalcraft Jye 176 74 Murray Bushrangers
3 Rayner Keidan 172 59 Geelong Falcons
4 Barker Jarryd 183 81 Dandenong Stingrays
5 Perez Flynn 183 71 Bendigo Pioneers
6 Baldi Riley 178 75 Gippsland Power
7 Martin Mitch 182 69 GWV Rebels
8 Williams Lachlan 182 74 Dandenong Stingrays
9 Phillips Fraser 184 66 Gippsland Power
10 Connolly Leo 180 70 Gippsland Power
11 Smith Lachlan 180 72 Geelong Falcons
12 Wareham Isaac 185 76 GWV Rebels
13 Grant Izaac 181 71 GWV Rebels
14 Hourigan Tye 188 79 Gippsland Power
15 Van der Plight Jake 188 77 Gippsland Power
16 Clark Jesse 187 76 Geelong Falcons
17 Ironside Riley 177 76 Bendigo Pioneers
18 Toussaint Marcus 198 84 Gippsland Power
19 Boyer Jimmy 182 70 Murray Bushrangers
20 Schischka James 190 79 Bendigo Pioneers
21 Chirgwin Darcey 190 78 Geelong Falcons / Sandy Dragons
22 De Koning Sam 194 78 Dandenong Stingrays
23 Skinner Zac 199 85 Gippsland Power
24 Nyuon Bigoa 195 84 Dandenong Stingrays
25 Smith Josh 194 100 Gippsland Power
26 Gundry Aaron 198

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What’s Rozee’s kicking like in contested space?? From what I’ve read of him he sounds similar to Curtis Taylor who should be available 6 or so picks later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back