List Mgmt. Tim Kelly remains a Cat for 2019

How long will Tim Kelly last at Geelong?

• He will return to WA in the 2018 trade period

• He will play at Geelong in 2019 but return to WA at end 2019

• He will sign a long term deal at Geelong

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair trade for Kelly in my opinion would be pick 10-15, he has a year in the system already, is a ready made player and has huge impact, you try and get a teenager who does that straight away, it just wont happen.

Do you think it’s possible to us to actually get that type of pick though??
I think he’s worth that yes but can’t see us getting it

Gaff is better than Kelly mate
West Coast lose big time in that sinario
And Kelly is better than Billings, so we'd lose big time if that is who was involved in a trade for Kelly

Kelly's ball winning ability is elite but heard today on SEN that kicking efficiency since round 8 is 14%?

There has been plenty of players over time that have had outstanding first or second seasons and then have a massive fall from grace. If you think he will go home regardless after 2 years may as well offload him now and upgrade for a Gaff etc???

Do you think it’s possible to us to actually get that type of pick though??
I think he’s worth that yes but can’t see us getting it

We wont get that from West Coast unless they offer Gaff Compo which i doubt they will, Freo could be an option but they have pick 6 which is a bit high for us, maybe Kelly and our Pick 10 (or whatever it is) for Freo's pick 6 and a player like Darcy?

We wont get that from West Coast unless they offer Gaff Compo which i doubt they will, Freo could be an option but they have pick 6 which is a bit high for us, maybe Kelly and our Pick 10 (or whatever it is) for Freo's pick 6 and a player?

One of the most realistic posts on this board.
I know people have spoken about Darcy but I know little about him

Expect Weagles and Freo will offer massive money to Kelly that we can’t match and therefore will low ball offers to us end 2019 (no top 10 , pick there after and a non top 10 player). IMO have to offer great money to Kelly now and if won’t take it then push for a trade this year (ie. Walters/Gaff level player/top 10 and a 20 something future pick) - bargaining power much higher now.

Would love to see him play one more season for us but think we will be scr*wed if we leave the bargaining till end of next year.

Myself personally I would do

Kelly to West Coast
Billings to Geelong
West Coast’s first rounder to the Saints
I am glad you are not Stephen Wells.... or are you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wont get that from West Coast unless they offer Gaff Compo which i doubt they will, Freo could be an option but they have pick 6 which is a bit high for us, maybe Kelly and our Pick 10 (or whatever it is) for Freo's pick 6 and a player like Darcy?
Doubtful that we'd be looking at trading our 1st round pick this year though - we are in a situation where we need to use 2 first round picks between this year & next year, so if we were in a situation to get a second first round pick this year it would give us flexibility to trade a first round pick next year if needed.

That flexibility might be worth more to the club long term than a single higher pick this year

Doubtful that we'd be looking at trading our 1st round pick this year though - we are in a situation where we need to use 2 first round picks between this year & next year, so if we were in a situation to get a second first round pick this year it would give us flexibility to trade a first round pick next year if needed.

That flexibility might be worth more to the club long term than a single higher pick this year

What do you mean? We would be trading our first rounder for a higher first rounder, why wouldn't we want to do that? You cant just pull 1st rounders out of thin air when they dont exist, WC and Freo dont have any other first rounders so having a second isn't going to happen.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...8/news-story/91877c901b4d2d5f982b574ef939f984
Bit of a article on Kelly, don't think it's much but thought I'd share it
KELLY DID LEAVE, WHAT WOULD THE CATS GET IN RETURN?

By Sam Landsberger

GEELONG can expect to receive a draft pick in the 12-20 range for Tim Kelly if the homesick midfielder requests a trade back to Perth.

Kelly, 24, was overlooked in five drafts but has been one of the finds of the season after the Cats pounced at pick No.24 last year.

Rival recruiters said a “mid-to-late first-round selection” in this year’s draft would be adequate compensation for the explosive midfielder.

One renowned recruiter said an early second-round selection should be enough for Kelly.

That is unlikely to appease Geelong, which could also ask for a player given Kelly would leave a vacancy in the starting midfield.

Kelly keeps nudging his value north and is on track for a high finish in the club’s best-and-fairest.

The Cats have wanted Kelly to sign a long-term extension for several months but the ball magnet has decided to park contract talks until the end of the season.

West Coast currently holds pick 20 and could receive a second top-20 selection if free agent Andrew Gaff returns to Melbourne.

That would help arm the Eagles with the salary cap space to throw Kelly a generous offer.

Fremantle holds pick No.6 but traded away its next few picks last year as it struck trades for Nathan Wilson (GWS) and Brandon Matera (Gold Coast).

The Eagles are Kelly’s likely destination if he does depart Geelong.

Kelly and his partner, Caitlin Miller, have found life in regional Victoria difficult at times with three children under the age of three.

They miss their support network of family and friends, although are still open to remaining in Geelong.

Kelly’s contract at Kardinia Park runs until the end of 2019, but it is becoming far more common for players to be traded under contract.

No.1 pick Tom Boyd was traded from GWS to the Western Bulldogs after just one AFL season.

While clubs have marvelled at Kelly’s ability to win the ball, his kicking does raise questions.

Since Round 8 Kelly has recorded a positive kick rating only once with Champion Data.

Kelly’s kick rating the past three weeks has read -15.9 per cent, -30.8 per cent and -15.6 per cent.

But that didn’t stop Kelly polling maximum coach’s votes against Richmond with 36 disposals last Friday night.

The right-footer recently collected 17 disposals in the final quarter against the Western Bulldogs.

template

AFL SCOREBOARD
10/8 Fri 7:50PM
ESS
$1.22
STK
$5.00
11/8 Sat 1:45PM
HAW
$2.35
GEE
$1.68
11/8 Sat 2:10PM
GCS
$19.00
RIC
$1.03
11/8 Sat 4:35PM
POR
$1.48
WCE
$2.85
11/8 Sat 7:25PM
COL
$1.30
BRI
$3.80
11/8 Sat 7:25PM
GWS
$1.48
ADE
$2.80
12/8 Sun 1:10PM
NM
$1.33
WBD
$3.55
12/8 Sun 3:20PM
MEL
$1.42
SYD
$3.10
12/8 Sun 4:40PM
FRE
$1.28
CAR
$4.20
AFL NEWS
AFL Daily: Live rolling footy news from around Australia, August 10, 2018
Updated 23 mins ago
EDITOR ON DUTY:
an hour ago
Subscriber only
WELCOME to our footy blog, AFL Daily!

Every weekday we will be bringing you all the breaking footy news from across Australia as it happens.

We will be providing rolling news as it happens and giving you all the latest insights from our experts around the country.

Whoever you support, there is only one place to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Watch every match of every round of the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. SIGN UP NOW >

Key Events
IF KELLY DID LEAVE, WHAT WOULD THE CATS GET IN RETURN?

By Sam Landsberger

GEELONG can expect to receive a draft pick in the 12-20 range for Tim Kelly if the homesick midfielder requests a trade back to Perth.

Kelly, 24, was overlooked in five drafts but has been one of the finds of the season after the Cats pounced at pick No.24 last year.

Rival recruiters said a “mid-to-late first-round selection” in this year’s draft would be adequate compensation for the explosive midfielder.

One renowned recruiter said an early second-round selection should be enough for Kelly.

That is unlikely to appease Geelong, which could also ask for a player given Kelly would leave a vacancy in the starting midfield.

Kelly keeps nudging his value north and is on track for a high finish in the club’s best-and-fairest.

The Cats have wanted Kelly to sign a long-term extension for several months but the ball magnet has decided to park contract talks until the end of the season.

West Coast currently holds pick 20 and could receive a second top-20 selection if free agent Andrew Gaff returns to Melbourne.

That would help arm the Eagles with the salary cap space to throw Kelly a generous offer.

Fremantle holds pick No.6 but traded away its next few picks last year as it struck trades for Nathan Wilson (GWS) and Brandon Matera (Gold Coast).

The Eagles are Kelly’s likely destination if he does depart Geelong.

Kelly and his partner, Caitlin Miller, have found life in regional Victoria difficult at times with three children under the age of three.

They miss their support network of family and friends, although are still open to remaining in Geelong.

Kelly’s contract at Kardinia Park runs until the end of 2019, but it is becoming far more common for players to be traded under contract.

No.1 pick Tom Boyd was traded from GWS to the Western Bulldogs after just one AFL season.

While clubs have marvelled at Kelly’s ability to win the ball, his kicking does raise questions.

Since Round 8 Kelly has recorded a positive kick rating only once with Champion Data.

Kelly’s kick rating the past three weeks has read -15.9 per cent, -30.8 per cent and -15.6 per cent.

But that didn’t stop Kelly polling maximum coach’s votes against Richmond with 36 disposals last Friday night.

The right-footer recently collected 17 disposals in the final quarter against the Western Bulldogs.

LessMore
DID CATS DROP A BIG KELLY HINT?

By Jay Clark

GEELONG coach Chris Scott might have dropped a vital clue about Tim Kelly’s future in his press conference.

West Coast is circling the first-year midfield revelation as a potential replacement option if free agent Andrew Gaff leaves the Eagles at season’s end.

Kelly’s value is rising by the week, after another best-on-ground performance against red-hot reigning premier Richmond on Friday night.

But clearly Scott thinks the 24-year-old ball-winner is staying in blue and white for a long while yet.

It has flown under the radar, but the Cats’ coach dropped this hint about the 183cm West Australian match winner in his post-match press conference last week, after another 36 touches against the star-studded Tigers.

“With the company that was surrounding him tonight from both teams, for him to really stand out (is excellent),” Scott said.

“I think my analysis is right on that. I think he was clearly the player that stood above the others in and around the contest.

“It’s a pretty good effort.

“He has got a lot of good footy ahead of him for the Cats.”

A lot of footy ahead of him? At the Cats?

That's brilliant news for Geelong, if the coach is on the money.

Kelly is headed for a top-five finish in Geelong’s best and fairest, averaging 23 possessions across 19 games in his stunning debut season.

He was the bargain pick of the last year’s draft, with the Cats taking the playmaker with the 24th selection overall.

"One renowned recruiter said an early second-round selection should be enough for Kelly. ....." ..working for who I wonder..

Why on earth would Geelong trade him for that when several rival recruiters .. said a “mid-to-late first-round selection”

"One renowned recruiter said an early second-round selection should be enough for Kelly. ....." ..working for who I wonder..

Why on earth would Geelong trade him for that when several rival recruiters .. said a “mid-to-late first-round selection”
Yeah it was a serious WTF moment when I read that in the article

Would love to hear your opinion of a fair trade for Kelly

When we traded Christensen to Brisbane we got pick 21, with Caddy to Richmond it was pick 24 (plus a swap of later picks) - both were better players & showed more than Billings, so if a trade was done purely for Billings I'd be looking at a later 2nd round pick.

As for Kelly - he's worth a top 15 pick on his own and if WCE or Freo are interested in him this year then the onus is on then to acquire the suitable draft picks.

Freo currently have pick 6, and while some (Freo supporters mainly) would argue that that pick is overs for Kelly, we need to remind them that last year they received pick 2 for Lachie Weller, who in his 22 games last year averaged 20.1 disposals, 4 marks, 0.2 goals, 0.2 goal assists, 2.4 tackles & 0.9 clearances. They were well & truely overcompensated for the loss of Weller last year and can pay up with pick 6 for Kelly this year.

If they want something extra thrown in, there's a suggestion that Freo might be interested in Black (they have previously enquired about him when at North and he could be a long-term replacement for Johnson who is retiring) - he can be the steak knives in the deal.

If WCE get a compo for Gaff, that would be enough for the Cats I would have thought. Assuming all things being equal now, that compo would be pick 18....could be better if WCE fall down the ladder between now and then but lets with 18 for now.

Really opens up options for the Cats.

- They can take 2 picks inside the 1st round and clear that trade rule in one swoop
- Offer Carlton picks 10, 18 and a player (GHS etc) for pick 1 and grab Sam Walsh
- Trade pick 10 and 18 to Brisbane for pick 3 and 57 to grab Walsh (if he slips as the Crows will probably try and trade with Carlton or GC to get Lukosius) but if Walsh goes, I'd grab Max/Ben King or Bailey Smith and use 57 for F/S points.

Just to name a few.

But it is an interesting draft this year though and pick 10/18 could in reality be higher on draft night. Someone could bid for Blakey and force Sydney to pony up. Same for Tarryn Thomas and force North to move. Isaac Quaynor could be another with an early bid and force the Pies to match.

There are quite a few scenarios that work in Geelongs favour here and someone could slip to pick 10 that may have gone higher.

I'd love TK to stay but it will be what it will be at the end of the day and Geelong need to work a deal that will best benefit the club.

EDIT: PLAYERS to Carlton...plural. I forgot how to math!

Last edited:
If WCE get a compo for Gaff, that would be enough for the Cats I would have thought. Assuming all things being equal now, that compo would be pick 18....could be better if WCE fall down the ladder between now and then but lets with 18 for now.

Really opens up options for the Cats.

- They can take 2 picks inside the 1st round and clear that trade rule in one swoop
- Offer Carlton picks 10, 18 and a player (GHS etc) for pick 1 and grab Sam Walsh
- Trade pick 10 and 18 to Brisbane for pick 3 and 57 to grab Walsh (if he slips as the Crows will probably try and trade with Carlton or GC to get Lukosius) but if Walsh goes, I'd grab Max/Ben King or Bailey Smith and use 57 for F/S points.

Just to name a few.

But it is an interesting draft this year though and pick 10/18 could in reality be higher on draft night. Someone could bid for Blakey and force Sydney to pony up. Same for Tarryn Thomas and force North to move. Isaac Quaynor could be another with an early bid and force the Pies to match.

There are quite a few scenarios that work in Geelongs favour here and someone could slip to pick 10 that may have gone higher.

I'd love TK to stay but it will be what it will be at the end of the day and Geelong need to work a deal that will best benefit the club.
Can you imagine a number 1 draft pick under our system....mouth watering

It’ll be wasted at Carlton with their putrid player development , just have to look at how all of their number 1 draft picks have failed.

Geelong Boy 20 years old, Ruckmen 2.01 m and 111kgs averaging 30 hitouts a game in his 4 games so far this year.
Fyfe is a tool - he commented previously about how it would be great to have Kelly, yet they wouldn't give up Darcy...

What is his thinking? That we'd just give Kelly to them for ... nothing?

It has to be a fair exchange.

Ok so lets get peoples opinion on this potential trade.

Geelong Trade Kelly To Fremantle + Pick 10-12
Fremantle Trade Pick 6 to Geelong + Sean Darcy

Would you do it?

I wouldn't thats so under Kelly's value.

He's contracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back