Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Gotta tread carefully with Pickett, has 3 kids. Doubt he up roots his family and moves over here. It’s been a struggle for Kelly and I can see it being a struggle for Pickett.
I’d say staying in Perth would be the easier option long term, or come over by himself and killing it for a year and asking for a trade, which I feel Kelly will do.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Tracking Pickett is nothing , GC still need to do a lot of interview with potential draftees . IMO Cody Leggett , McAdams , Zorko clone are better option , but if GC pick Pickett I am ok with it too .

Last edited:

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good to see a bit of creativity on this thread and some great ideas. However, the Mick Barlow campaign has to end. The guy had a bad injury last year and came back slower than a wet week. He has elite instincts for where the ball will fall at stoppages, so he wins a tonne of scrappy possessions at NEAFL level and everybody is calling him the new Gaz.
Matt Shaw was getting 40 touches in the NEAFL last year and getting 7 the following week at AFL level. Where are the offended Shaw fans? At least the guy looked like he came from the Gold Coast!
Barlow is done and it is a real shame too. Yes, I agree he’d have made the AFL team better had he played more regularly this year, but at whose expense? With 4 first year players blooded plus Holman and Young coming into the team, this year’s selection committee has unexpectedly been forced to use 40 players on the list, which will mean these fringe players will have gained tremendous experience at Barlow’s expence.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You need mature players NOW not kids that are 2 or 3 years away from their maximum output like Lukosius.
Mature ages players will get it from state league from lower end and rookie draft somebody like Mitch McGowan , Lobb , Tim Kelly , Flitsch , Zac Langdon , Matt Deboer , Greenwood , Luke Ryan , Billy Hartung , Ben Brown . Who get overlooked in previous draft or delisted by their previous club.

Jack Hayes (Woodville-West Torrens) , Lukosius SANFL teammate.

A late bloomer who has only cracked into the Eagles' senior team in the past two seasons. The 22-year-old half-forward is an exciting talent. At 193cm, he's a great mark, has a penetrating kick and covers the ground well. Currently fourth in the Ken Farmer Medal with 30 goals for the season. Played for the SANFL state team against WA, and is the younger brother of former Brisbane rookie Nick Hayes.

Chris Burgess (West Adelaide)
Recruited to the club as a key defender, but has also impressed when moved up forward. The 22-year-old has sticky hands, he's deceptively quick and at 193cm, he's difficult to out-mark overhead. Plays a little bit like Crows forward Mitch McGovern, with his ability to play at either end of the ground, strong marking ability and turn of foot. Highlighted his immense potential with a five-goal haul against Adelaide's SANFL side on May 26.

Matt Hammelmann

Much like Clayton, Hammelmann was cut by Brisbane at the end of last season and has gone back and done everything possible in the NEAFL. Despite playing in a Redland team that has won just once, he leads the goalkicking table with 55 goals from 15 games. Just 22, Hammelmann is a terrific athlete with excellent speed that is hard to beat on the lead. Has shown he can play both ends of the ground and will surely be on the radar of clubs looking for versatile key position players. He spent three years with the Lions and played 12 games.

Last edited:

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
You need mature players NOW not kids that are 2 or 3 years away from their maximum output like Lukosius.

It really depends where Dew, Evans and the new footy department hierarchy see our list.

Are we still in partial rebuild?

Or are we now in full rebuild and wanting to treat this draft as if it was year 1 all over again, and grab as many highly rated kids as possible in the 1st round, adding them to the multiple round 1 kids we have drafted in the last 2yrs.

I’m hoping we should get the answer at the members night next Wednesday.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It really depends where Dew, Evans and the new footy department hierarchy see our list.

Are we still in partial rebuild?

Or are we now in full rebuild and wanting to treat this draft as if it was year 1 all over again, and grab as many highly rated kids as possible in the 1st round, adding them to the multiple round 1 kids we have drafted in the last 2yrs.

I’m hoping we should get the answer at the members night next Wednesday.

You have have to seriously ask that?

The Suns have recruited 32 players over the past 3 years and several of those players have already been delisted. The rebuild is almost complete, it will just take time for the young list to mature. This trade and draft period is crucial to the future, so we need multiple high first round picks and judicious trading.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good to see a bit of creativity on this thread and some great ideas. However, the Mick Barlow campaign has to end. The guy had a bad injury last year and came back slower than a wet week. He has elite instincts for where the ball will fall at stoppages, so he wins a tonne of scrappy possessions at NEAFL level and everybody is calling him the new Gaz.
Matt Shaw was getting 40 touches in the NEAFL last year and getting 7 the following week at AFL level. Where are the offended Shaw fans? At least the guy looked like he came from the Gold Coast!
Barlow is done and it is a real shame too. Yes, I agree he’d have made the AFL team better had he played more regularly this year, but at whose expense? With 4 first year players blooded plus Holman and Young coming into the team, this year’s selection committee has unexpectedly been forced to use 40 players on the list, which will mean these fringe players will have gained tremendous experience at Barlow’s expence.

Far better to blood kids in regular drubbings than play someone like Barlow with some of the kids. Baldrick lives!

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
How do Suns treat Holman?

Barlow was brought to Suns by Rocket not by Dew. That Barlow does not fit into Dew's plan does not mean he is treated badly. I still remember Barlow's interview before Christmas having only high praise for Dew. I respect people having opinion about should Barlow play or not but to say he is treated badly because he does not play is a stretch.
Someone posted earlier that the Suns have played 40 players this year, surely Barlow is not no 41+ on the Suns list!

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
You have have to seriously ask that?

The Suns have recruited 32 players over the past 3 years and several of those players have already been delisted. The rebuild is almost complete, it will just take time for the young list to mature. This trade and draft period is crucial to the future, so we need multiple high first round picks and judicious trading.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the Suns rebuild is almost complete then we should turn Metricon back into an athletics stadium!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks random Crows fan. Gee, I'm glad there are people like you in the world who are so willing to give their unbiased advice on our team with not even the slightest hint of ulterior motive when you do so.

Seriously, please don't come on to our board and tell us what we need when it so clearly benefits your team to do what you're suggesting. You have your club's best interests at heart and so do we with our own. Let's leave it at that and leave the smoke and mirrors to the trolls.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Hearing we are in discussions with Tigers for a package of 3 fringe players with a late pick , sounding like tigers are going to offload a few.

Thank god - I was thinking we were going to miss out on Lukosios so we could pick up the Crows fringe players for pick 2.

I don't know how we are getting all the list spots unless we either get extra list spots or some very unexpected trades/delistings

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back