Rumour New rules for 2019 ticked off by AFL Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

***thread changed to Rumour as I cant find anything in print on this.. but i swear i heard it..***

It was reported this morning that the AFL Clubs have signed off on 2 rules which are looking like being introduce for the 2019 season.

the 6 6 6 set up for centre bounces and the extended goal square.

what are everyones thoughts on the new rules assuming they get introduced next year and will it help or hinder us?

The only advantage I think we have is Jayden Short will be putting the ball onto the wing from the kickouts which could create good counter attacks.

And IF we get Lynch and we have a forward line containing Riewoldt, Lynch, Riloli, Castagna, Butler, Caddy that are all in 1 v 1 contests and we can somehow get some quick clearances into forward 50 from the Centre bounces it will cause some serious issues for the opposition.

but having said all of that I think they are ******* stupid for changing the rules at all.
666 beside being an evil number shouldn't have that much effect on our game, just keep Dusty Cotchin and Prestia in the middle or as you said isolate Dusty up forward, get the clearance and try get the 1 on 1.

The goal sqauare sounds and looks dumb, but we'll use it to our advantage, the sooner we get it into our forward 50 and create chaos the better. Hope it's not true though, don't know what these idiots think is wrong with the game, it will also create a lot more blowouts.

Last edited:

***thread changed to Rumour as I cant find anything in print on this.. but i swear i heard it..***

It was reported this morning that the AFL Clubs have signed off on 2 rules which are looking like being introduce for the 2019 season.

what are everyones thoughts on the new rules assuming they get introduced next year and will it help or hinder us?

The only advantage I think we have is Jayden Short will be putting the ball onto the wing from the kickouts which could create good counter attacks.

And IF we get Lynch and we have a forward line containing Riewoldt, Lynch, Riloli, Castagna, Butler, Caddy that are all in 1 v 1 contests and we can somehow get some quick clearances into forward 50 from the Centre bounces it will cause some serious issues for the opposition.

but having said all of that I think they are ******* stupid for changing the rules at all.
In all honesty i am over it, only 1 side of the debate is being listened to.

6-6-6 won't change much. Complaining about it is short sighted also as the centre square came in around 45 years ago so there is precedent for change.

The double goal square is going to have a big effect though. Will really reward attacking teams and fast break footy. Potentially will also encourage teams to keep more players rather than press up to counter, which the AFL will be happy with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6-6-6 won't change much. Complaining about it is short sighted also as the centre square came in around 45 years ago so there is precedent for change.

The double goal square is going to have a big effect though. Will really reward attacking teams and fast break footy. Potentially will also encourage teams to keep more players rather than press up to counter, which the AFL will be happy with

I think it will disadvantage attacking teams and make all teams less attacking. Each behind is a turnover, which will now be bigger.
So their will more of a focus to not get behinds.

Missed goal kicks and kicking too deep to packs and teams give up a huge advantage to the other side.
So that may reduce long kicks for exciting big marks in the goals square, which is probably the opposite of what they want.

It may also reduce exciting long shots at goal, and increase more sideways movement to try to set up a better shot on goal which will take more time.
Therefore less direct play coming out of the centre, more coming in from the boundaries, gives teams time to get back to defend the 50, more congested foward lines, again which is probably the opposite of what they want.

Got a feeling they sit there presenting data and only looking at the possible benefits, without anyone picking the new rule ideas apart, and bringing up easily apparent possible risks.

At the very least it will mean more rules to adjudicate, interpret, and get wrong, when they don't do a great job on the most basic existing rules.

Last edited:
I think it will disadvantage attacking teams and make all teams less attacking. Each behind is a turnover, which will now be bigger.

Missed goal kicks and kicking too deep to packs and teams give up a huge advantage to the other side.
So that may reduce long kicks for exciting big marks in the goals square, which is probably the opposite of what they want.

It may also reduce exciting long shots at goal, and increase more sideways movement to try to set up a better shot on goal which will take more time.
Therefore less direct play coming out of the centre, more coming in from the boundaries, gives teams time to get back to defend the 50, more congested foward lines, again which is probably the opposite of what they want.

Got a feeling they sit there presenting data and only looking at the possible benefits, without anyone picking the new rule ideas apart, and bringing up easily apparent possible risks.
Data is everything, ask the current education gurus.

Sorry but "you heard it somewhere"?

Not sure if that's enough, just sayin.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

666 won't make much difference as that's virtually how teams set up now anyway.

18m square leads to the opportunity for some interesting strategies in moving the ball out of defense. People focus on long kicking to the middle. Obviously good tactic. But easy to deal with - same logic as now.

What I'm interested in is the opportunity to play a different way of moving the ball. Currently you have no space to have players behind the kicker. So you cannot run in a wave from behind the square. What the 18m allows is that you set up for a deep kick, and have 5 players behind the kicker. Time comes you have the wave running from behind and targets deep. The defense has to meet a double threat. And the wave is coming at speed. Handball, handball, you're 30+m out. Then Vlas kicks it to the open space of your set up outlet. Slingshot goal.

The 18 square might, might, lead to a very open setup because the defense has to cover so much ground to deal with all the options. It might be easy to stop. But I can easily imagine teams running plays that look more like gridiron than what we have now, at the restart.

You go play your Yank version of our game in your own parallel universe with the AFL committee flakes. I'll be here supporting Aussie Rules the way it's always been played. Beautiful and unique, indigenous to us and perfectly ok how it is (maybe tidy up some dodgy interpretations of a couple of rules). Richmond are killing it, why you'd want to change anything right now is beyond me.

Yeah I'm just about ready to write a scathing open letter to the AFL and Richmond football club...and hope that someone happens to spread the crap out of it. These clowns are paid great money to be custodians of the game. The AFL are just the league....not the sport of Australian Rules Football. The arrogance and lack of respect to loyal fans of the game is out of control. We don't want trivial, meaningless "entertainment" or we would flick on the streaming services or go play with out microdicks. We want the game we know and love to remain the game we know and love.

#leaveoutyourmicrodick

666 at centre bounces will worry us I think. We don't clear well and if we continue to get smacked in the middle it is going to put or back 6 under loads of pressure....having said that you could (?) potentially have a loose player start just outside the 50 and drop straight into the hole once the ball is in play.

Not about “state of the game” these changes,it’s about stopping the Richmond juggernaut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back