Hawthorn vs Geelong MCG- Saturday July 20th 2019 - Edited Page 18 current discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Both teams are going to be fielding a vastly different line-up compared to Round 2.

Hawthorn

IN: Frawley, Miles, Worpel, Ceglar, Morrison, Whitecross

OUT: McEvoy, Sicily, Howe, Duryea, O’Brien, Rioli (retired)

Geelong

IN: Duncan, Henderson, S.Selwood, Jones, Abbott

OUT: Cockatoo, O’Connor, Gregson, Parsons, Z.Guthrie

I’d the say the Hawks are significantly weaker now with some key outs. McEvoy was arguably the difference in Round 2. Without him Geelong has the edge going into this game. In the midfield Geelong have more depth.

Gunston and Breust are both in good form at the right time. If Tom Stewart was to miss, not sure Geelong have a suitable match-up for Gunston.

Hawkins is in career best form. I think Frawley is certain to go to him, Brand on Abbott and Stratton on Menzel.

Hawthorn has the firepower and goal kicking spread to kick a winning score but Geelong has the edge in the midfield. All indications are pointing towards another close game.
Would certainly feel more confident if Sicily and BigBoy were playing.

Hawks are definitely missing more quality.

Sicily and McEvoy are far bigger outs than the combination of Bews, Ratagoulea, Taylor, Cockatoo and McCarthy.

i wonder, hope, that Geelong making so many changes will have some unsettling effect. But that seems to have been Scott's method this year.

Suddenly the youth and inexperience in the Hawks team stands out to me.

Not sure why some Hawk posters are negative about this game. Hawks season been far more reliable than Geelongs who are up and down like a yo yo
We’ve been pretty inconsistent at times (Brisbane twice for example, although, that’s actually consistent...), and missing BB, Sicily, Cyril () has me a bit worried. I’ll be happy if we win, but wouldn’t be surprised at all if we lost. Add to that the history between the two teams, I’m pretty nervous.

Doubt it mate. Scott completely forgot his fully stacked and healthy midfield came up against our 2 guns in cotchin and martin and due to having 4 mids out injured, you had dangerfield on a 17 gamer in Higgens and Selwood matched up on 3 gamer Baker and they still could not get the job done.

Hawks by 48
48!!!! I’ll take that any day. But that won’t happen. It’ll be a kick in it.

Surely Geelong in a canter. The only people that rate Hawthorn are delusional Hawk supporters still clinging to glories past.
FMD...delusional??.....apart from last year, where has Richmond been for the last 35 odd years? And what are past glories all about if you can’t celebrate them.

More embarrassing than abusing/swearing at a coach at an under 9s football game?
Get it right, it was a halfwit umpire rep, who was about to let the kids kick to the wrong end of the ground.

Hawkins has been in great form but I feel like Frawley will go ok against him.

If we can slow the ball movement inside 50 for the Cats and curtail the damage of Menzel and Danger (when forward) then I think we keep them to a score we beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks are definitely missing more quality.

Sicily and McEvoy are far bigger outs than the combination of Bews, Ratagoulea, Taylor, Cockatoo and McCarthy.

McEvoy along with Mitchell destroyed Geelong earlier in the year so McEvoy out is big for Geelong and don't forget Stanley's career best form of the last 6 or so weeks. Let's hope having last week off hasn't killed Stanley's momentum. Let's see if Hawkins picks up his form again after a quiet one last week, he too has been in career best form for a couple of months before last week.

Sicily out is huge too, the kid's an absolute gun.

Another epic on the cards.

Virtually every single time these two sides play each other, there is a period in the game when the umps, doesn’t seem to matter who, absolutely bend over backwards, turn themselves inside out and fall all over themselves attempting to get the cats over the line or get them back into the game. Just as a few examples, see the last 2 minutes of the 3rd quarter of the 08 GF, the last 5 mins of the 3rd quarter of the 13 PF, and in the abovementioned game, virtually the entire last quarter. I wonder when it will be this week...

Translation for those not affected by the Hawthorn victim complex - you disagree with a bunch of umpiring decisions, probably yell at your TV like a complete nuffy.

Want Geelong to come out and make a real statement tomorrow. 3 games out from the finals and need to hit some form.

Hawthorn are not that good a team, have had some great luck and overachieved this season while we have had some rotten luck and underachieved slightly.

Want Geelong to make a big physical statement tomorrow and blow hawthorn away by 6 + goals.

Want Geelong to come out and make a real statement tomorrow. 3 games out from the finals and need to hit some form.

Hawthorn are not that good a team, have had some great luck and overachieved this season while we have had some rotten luck and underachieved slightly.

Want Geelong to make a big physical statement tomorrow and blow hawthorn away by 6 + goals.

Would you like to expand on that

You have over achieved given the youngsters you have debuted this season. Still a 50 50 game

Translation for those not affected by the Hawthorn victim complex - you disagree with a bunch of umpiring decisions, probably yell at your TV like a complete nuffy.
Translation: project your club and it’s deluded fans’ extreme jealousy via a mindless, vacuous three-word slogan...

The only one big-noting himself was Clarkson. It's kids playing footy for ****s sake. I'm surprised he didn't pack his laptop and organise a meeting with the ceo about it.
Wat?

He’s at his kids game, he’s see that there all set up to kick the wrong way, and when he goes out to try and get the kids to kick the right way, some little upstarts umpire rep tells him he can’t be on the ground so Clarkson scoffs at him and tells him to “* off”....as he should have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back