Hawthorn vs Geelong MCG- Saturday July 20th 2019 - Edited Page 18 current discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Yep that stat is wrong - heard it on SEN this morning but just checked the afl site and it’s 63% only better than Jermaine Jones, Cockatoo and McCarthy
It was his kick rating or something along those lines which was actually -14%. So basically 14% worse than what is expected for an average player

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Want Geelong to come out and make a real statement tomorrow. 3 games out from the finals and need to hit some form.

Hawthorn are not that good a team, have had some great luck and overachieved this season while we have had some rotten luck and underachieved slightly.

Want Geelong to make a big physical statement tomorrow and blow hawthorn away by 6 + goals.

You don't over or under achieve. You either achieve or you fail.

Yes, Geelong are looming as a failure this season.

I agree to be honest but if we can snare two home finals we can go deep

Our list has depth
Wouldn't wanna play Geelong again. Only managed to pinch the game in Perth due to having no bench for half the game. WCE has gone downhill since then too. Will do nothing in the finals.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
You don't over or under achieve. You either achieve or you fail.

Yes, Geelong are looming as a failure this season.

It isn't so much about over/under achieving rather than did the club meet its expectations for the season or not. You can achieve even if you dont win the flag.

Collingwood - Not many rated them as contenders. Have had a good season and might make second/third week of the finals (depends who comes back in)
Brisbane - Last years wooden spooners. Got some good young talent and had some decent wins. Bright future ahead
Hawthorn - Side many tipped to be 12-16 finish. Sitting 5th and ok chance to make finals.
Geelong - Prelim final side and added one of the best players of all time. To sit 9th is definitely not meeting its pre-season expectations...... for now.

3 wins in a row would likely see then 3-6th and from there they can shake things up.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
And vice versa. Clubs on the fringe of the 8

Could probably say the same of your blokes I guess yeah - strange season. Even, but low standard, nice time for Richmond to be at their peak.

It was his kick rating or something along those lines which was actually -14%. So basically 14% worse than what is expected for an average player

Kicking definitely needs work, I think he's still coming to grips with the speed of AFL. Seems mainly a product of feeling perceived pressure more than he should be, rushes his kicks unnecessarily at times. He hits the contest at speed, often spinning out of tackles, and can just throw it on the boot occasionally when he actually has time.

He's amazing by hand, very creative.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong - Prelim final side and added one of the best players of all time. To sit 9th is definitely not meeting its pre-season expectations...... for now.

3 wins in a row would likely see then 3-6th and from there they can shake things up.

Not really wrong, but mitigated somewhat by the youth that have been given huge roles all season, and have shown a bit. Today's team average age ~6 months younger than the Hawks. Arguments could be made whether that should be the case, but with the retirements and injuries in the backline I see it as a bit of a transition year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Wouldn't wanna play Geelong again. Only managed to pinch the game in Perth due to having no bench for half the game. WCE has gone downhill since then too. Will do nothing in the finals.
west coast would gut you like a fish at home in Finals 1. but you dont have to worry because youll probably end up playing a lower ranked team (5-8) like yourselves* at their home ground

*assumes Geelong are in the 8 at the moment

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
Cats have more talent across the park and looked decent in bursts last week
Their midfield is always a worry for us

We’ve been up and down, probably need to replicate lasts weeks form to have a chance of a win and that’s been an issue all season for us

If it’s wet it will just be who wants it a bit more

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
Not really wrong, but mitigated somewhat by the youth that have been given huge roles all season, and have shown a bit. Today's team average age ~6 months younger than the Hawks. Arguments could be made whether that should be the case, but with the retirements and injuries in the backline I see it as a bit of a transition year.
You guys have played quite a few young players this season no doubt about it but a 6 months average age differential across the board really is nothing

One of the more overrated stats unless your talking 3-4 years per player

Not sure why some Hawk posters are negative about this game. Hawks season been far more reliable than Geelongs who are up and down like a yo yo

We have also been up and down - some of which have been spectacularly bad (both Brisbane games, most of the north game, first 3 qs of Richmond game)

west coast would gut you like a fish at home in Finals 1. but you dont have to worry because youll probably end up playing a lower ranked team (5-8) like yourselves* at their home ground

*assumes Geelong are in the 8 at the moment
One of the dumber posts I've read on here. Your fear is palpable though knowing you got out of jail last week and it would never happen a second time.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Want Geelong to come out and make a real statement tomorrow. 3 games out from the finals and need to hit some form.

Hawthorn are not that good a team, have had some great luck and overachieved this season while we have had some rotten luck and underachieved slightly.

Want Geelong to make a big physical statement tomorrow and blow hawthorn away by 6 + goals.

I disagree. I think Hawthorn are a very good team, however a handful of guns aside, I don't think a lot of the rest are much chop.

Clarko!

Last edited:

Fabes

All Australian
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
McEvoy along with Mitchell destroyed Geelong earlier in the year so McEvoy out is big for Geelong and don't forget Stanley's career best form of the last 6 or so weeks. Let's hope having last week off hasn't killed Stanley's momentum. Let's see if Hawkins picks up his form again after a quiet one last week, he too has been in career best form for a couple of months before last week.

Sicily out is huge too, the kid's an absolute gun.

Another epic on the cards.
Been really impressed with Stanley over the last month and a bit. Oft maligned but good to see him playing some great football. Just hope he doesn't play too well today ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back