Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No no I was there, Titans fans were there in good numbers.
It was a great afternoon.
2018 Highest Attendance: 18,005 (Titans v Broncos)
2018 Lowest Attendance: 10,074 (Titans v Roosters)
2018 Same Weekend Ledger: 1-1
2018 Suns Crowd Average: 13,029 (65,145 in 5 games)
2018 Titans Crowd Average: 12,717 (89,020 in 7 games)

Titans are closing in on the Suns in terms of crowd average.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
18102 best crowd for the season. Thanks tigers fans.
11,283 at the Titans v Penrith game at Robina today. 2018 update for Mr Bods:

2018 Highest Attendance: 18,102 (Suns v Tigers)
2018 Head to Head Ledger: 1-0 (in the Suns' favour)
2018 Suns Crowd Average: 13,874 (83,247 in 6 games)
2018 Titans Crowd Average: 12,537 (100,303 in 8 games)

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
11,283 at the Titans v Penrith game at Robina today. 2018 update for Mr Bods:

2018 Highest Attendance: 18,102 (Suns v Tigers)
2018 Suns Crowd Average: 13,874 (83,247 in 6 games)
2018 Titans Crowd Average: 12,537 (100,303 in 8 games)

Thanks
Despite all the hate I still think those numbers are good for both clubs considering it’s been another horrible year for both

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks
Despite all the hate I still think those numbers are good for both clubs considering it’s been another horrible year for both

Spot on Bods I get the shits when those south of the Murray sink the boot in with saying we are bandwagoners etc .

Every club in every sporting code in the world enjoy greater support and crowd numbers etc when they are winning. Fact: it’s more fun to watch a win and the quality of the product is better so of course a well performing team will attract more people.

Both titans and Suns ( and Brisbane Lions) crowds have held up remarkably well considering the onfield performance over several years and the fact that a lot of people used up their “go to live sport” budget on the comm games events. Plenty of people I know spent $1000+ on comm games Tickets. Not once have I seen this talked about in the media that are too busy saying the the GC is soulless etc, which I take offence to.

There’s no doubt the travelling away supporters are a big factor here but that’s part of the reason why the GC got a team in the first place and the vic clubs last time I looked benefit from the away team being local.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
well we'll finish with a bit of an underwhelming home attendance.
A good finish next week be important for people considering signing up again.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 11.21.06 AM.png

I'm going around again, for the 11th year....

No point hanging around for the bad of the last decade if you can’t be there for the payoff when the good finally comes along.

I’ll be there again too.

You know, those ones like the Lions @ the Gabba and Freo in Perth...

So those numbers include the 33k from Perth and the “sold out” game in China?

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Suppose the 3,700 in the Cairns typhoon was more than you could hope for.
Cazalys is a great little park to watch the footy at - saw Suns vs Bulldogs in their premiership year
I sure as hell wouldn't have gone in that rain.

For old times sake in that bulldogs game
- We lost 107 to 59
- Matt Shaw had 25 possessions
- Aaron Hall 0 goals 3 behinds
- Tom Nichols, Jarrod Garlett, Ryan Davis, Mitch Hallahan, Jarrad Grant all played for us :drunk:

Cairns - 3722
Perth - 33388
Gabba - 6060
China - 10689
Cats - 17490
Saints - 10181
Pies - 13637
Bombers - 13061
Carlton - 10776
Tigers - 18102
Lions - 11907

Total - 149013. Checks out I guess.

7 home games - 13593
11 “home” games - 13547

Bizarre that the numbers run that close with such wide variances.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Large crowd at Robina last night (26,681) for Johnathan Thurston's last game. The boost from last night has seen the Titans overtake the Suns in crowd average for 2018:

2018 Highest Attendance: 26,681 (Titans v Cowboys)
2018 Suns Crowd Average: 13,593 (95,154 in 7 games)
2018 Titans Crowd Average: 14,125 (141,250 in 10 games)

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm an AFL/NRL fan and don't give a fig about the Suns vs Titans rivalry.

As a Queenslander I couldn't be more happy to see that so many fans turned up to see Johnathan Thurston play in his final game ever. It is a real credit to the Gold Coast that fans who support other teams all made to Robina to see out a true champion of Australian sport.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Titans building a Leagues Club at Oxenford, terrible location but nonetheless they will have beautiful Poker Machines.
Sooner we bite the bullet and become the Gold Coast Sharks and have the beautiful Poker Machines of Southport Sharks the better.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Titans building a Leagues Club at Oxenford, terrible location but nonetheless they will have beautiful Poker Machines.
Sooner we bite the bullet and become the Gold Coast Sharks and have the beautiful Poker Machines of Southport Sharks the better.
I have to disagree with you on the pokies, Bods. They are miserable, addictive machines of poverty and despair. In a time when Victorian clubs are one by one weaning themselves off the awful things, there is just no way we should be going down that path. Rugby League clubs have been addicted to them since the beginning and the Titans are very late to the party considering the Broncos have been raking in pokies cash for 30 years.

The Suns need to find ways of generating money that is inclusive and beneficial to the community. They need to find ways to get people to come to the Metricon precinct and every year improve the facilities. I watched a video of the season launch for the San Francisco 49ers and their new stadium is state of the art. They have the best restaurants in the city selling food in concession stands. They seek to make a day at the football an unforgettable event and they continually improve the way they go about doing it, engaging with their fans and aiming to provide precisely what members demand.

North Melbourne got rid of their pokies and the AFL have increased their funding to make up for it, although they have sold 4 home games a year to Tasmania to pay for the party. Adelaide, Sydney, West Coast, Fremantle, GWS and the Suns are the other teams with no gaming revenue. Geelong have reduced their reliance on pokies and have none at their stadium.

The AFL makes enough money from broadcasting that it could force all clubs to get rid of gaming and compensate them for the same amount. The Suns do more than enough to promote the AFL code in Queensland to deserve the extra funding. However, if Southport Sharks recommit their funding after 2020, then I guess we are benefitting from their pokies anyway.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Suns need to find ways of generating money that is inclusive and beneficial to the community.
Totally agree. I feel the club has been very mindful of not exploring options which could have a negative impact on the community. A lot of people feel a reliance on poker machine revenue is really just preying on those who have gambling addictions and accepting 'dirty money'. I'd like to think we're above that and can find other ways to create revenue streams, whether it be through hosting cricket matches or music concerts etc. We're in a unique position because we can use our management rights over Metricon Stadium to increase our annual return. It's a significant equalisation tool for us given we're based in a small market and struggle to attract major sponsorship (we're reliant on national businesses for our major sponsorship and no national businesses are interested in us right now).

The Titans went down a similar route before with the Titanium Bar in Surfers Paradise (which contained poker machines) and it didn't end well so I'm a little surprised they're investigating this option again.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Pokies are not the path to riches they once were. Still can be lucrative but not guaranteed in fact the sharks lost money in the last financial year and their income from pokies whilst still a big number has been on a downward trend for a couple of years.

Personally I’d rather the number of pokies in the community was reduced.

Back