Multiplat Doom: Eternal

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
This IMO is the best pure shooter of the generation. The setting is uneasy. Demons squealing, the pulsating soundtrack. Awesome guns that * s**t up. A superb pacing that forces you to play fast. All the mechanics just click.

Apparently this will include dialogue trees and let you resolve conflicts via negotiation. I made these things up.

The only thing we've been told is 'hell on Earth' and you can see a shattered city in the background.

Bring this on.

HAHAHA well if this can top Doom 2016 then that pretty much makes it the best FPS ever.

From QuakeCon 2018. Gameplay footage starts at 4:30, and again at 12:20 and 17:56.

New things in Doom Eternal:

- You now have 3 different modes of attack at your disposal - your primary weapon, as well as a retractable blade on your left arm for melee attacks, and some kind of predator-style cannon on your left shoulder which has different modes of fire like flame-thrower, plasma, etc.

- It looks like there's a demon destruction system, so that when you're attacking demons, there's actually visible damage being done to them as you destroy them, like chunks of flesh coming off them and holes appearing in them, etc.

- All new guns, although each one of them is basically an equivalent to a gun from DOOM 2016. They are different superficially but function much the same.

- A new movement system; the super shotgun now has a grappling hook attached to it, so you can hook onto enemies and pull them towards you (like scorpion in Mortal Kombat) or hook onto enemies and pull yourself towards them, so you can use this to traverse over chasms etc. You can also climb walls, for the first time in a Doom game.

- A new melee weapon; a sword that we a get a preview of @ 24:19

Last edited:
Looks fine on the Switch!
Run it at 60fps and they can't optimise it in other aspects.

Oh well I just sold my Switch anyway :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't generally care about framerate on games all that much, but for Doom you simply cannot run at anything other than 60fps!

I can see this helmet asphyxiating people. Other than that, game looks fast and brutal.

Screenshot_3.png

I couldn't be more over first person shooters but this looks great

I would like to know why the release date got pushed back from Dec 2019 to March 2020. Maybe there is some kind of massive overhaul or redesign.

That said, this game looks more dynamic than Doom 2016 with the addition of the shoulder cannon, grappling hook and ability to climb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back