Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
No doubt there will be a lot of debate about the merits of winning against the Suns.

Win - will leapfrog St Kilda and more than likely end up with pick 5 (factoring in the Suns receiving a pick after their first for losing Lynch) and miss out on one of the big 4 draftees; or

Lose - Gold Coast jump the Lions (and St Kilda), which (a) brings the Lions into the mix to receive an end of first round priority pick (based purely on the talk that the Suns will receive one, which given they'd finish above the Lions would then bring us into the mix), and (b) brings us well into contention to receive pick 2 and draft one of Lukosius or Sam Walsh.

Milestones - Stefan Martin will play his 100th club game for the Lions (and brings any offspring into father son / daughter calculations).

Ins - Bewick, Allison, Cox, Lyons, Smith, Frost

Outs - Gardiner (I), Hodge (O), Beams (O), McStay (O), Taylor (O), McInerney (O)

Suns by 1 point.

Last edited:
Ins - Bewick, Allison, Lyons, Smith, Frost

Outs - Gardiner (I), Hodge (O), Beams (O), Taylor (O), McInerney (O)

Suns by 1 point.

Are those changes intended to secure that outcome?

They certainly seem like they are.

Are those changes intended to secure that outcome?

They certainly seem like they are.

No. Gardiner is injured and replaced by Frost. McInerney has just been well and truly average of late and replaced by Smith.

McStay has again been poor of late and IMO we have been too top heavy for most of the season, so Bewick replaces him. Taylor also has been poor and isn't doing anything that Cox couldn't. Allison comes in for Hodge t (a) give us more run off the back flank and (b) to get a couple of games into him.

Beams omission will obviously be contentious, but my reasoning for omitting him is that if he isn't going to be here next year, why play him to the detriment of playing a young player such as Lyons who has earnt his spot. If Beams expressly states publicly that he is honouring his contract, then he plays, but given he is allowing this circus to go on as occurred with Tom Lynch then stuff him, why play him in front of a kid that wants to be at the club.

No. Gardiner is injured and replaced by Frost. McInerney has just been well and truly average of late and replaced by Smith.

McStay has again been poor of late and IMO we have been too top heavy for most of the season, so Bewick replaces him. Taylor also has been poor and isn't doing anything that Cox couldn't. Allison comes in for Hodge t (a) give us more run off the back flank and (b) to get a couple of games into him.

Beams omission will obviously be contentious, but my reasoning for omitting him is that if he isn't going to be here next year, why play him to the detriment of playing a young player such as Lyons who has earnt his spot. If Beams expressly states publicly that he is honouring his contract, then he plays, but given he is allowing this circus to go on as occurred with Tom Lynch then stuff him, why play him in front of a kid that wants to be at the club.

Beams is more likely to be on our list next year than Bewick, and I know which one I'd rather have playing seniors. Smith isn't a like-for-like replacement for Oscar, and taking out both him and McStay and leaving only Hipwood and a couple rucks (neither of whom can play forward effectively) is going way too far the other way. And your theory that making six changes, bringing in players who've all spent significant time in the reserves and will need to adjust to a more intensive pace, while removing 767 games worth of experience and replacing them with 188 games (more than half of which are in Rohan Bewick) will improve performance is, ah, problematic at best.

Lolllll please. Look at how well our boys are finally going. We are a genuine footy side now, why the hell would we blow it up and make a handful of unforced changes to bring in campaigners like Bewick, Smith, Allison etc

Gotta stick with our best side and take form through to next year, where we should be aiming for finals (ambitious yes, and no shame if it doesn’t happen, but I garauntee you this group believes they’re good enough and September will be in their sights next year)

As for this week, who gives a crap about finishing bottom two again? We will demolish the suns. Far more important than draft position

A bit worried that we are getting tired so I would make a couple of changes.

Would consider bringing in Keays or Allison for Gardiner, Robbo takes Dizzys spot in defence, Allison on the wing.

I'd keep Starcevich in because I think he showed glimpses.

Wouldn't mind the idea of resting/sitting out some of the underperforming seniors for the Suns match (Taylor, Rich, etc) and throw a couple of the kids in for the remaining two games of the season. Also rewarding players who have been in good form in the reserves.

That would include keeping Starcevich in, throwing Cox and Bailey back in, giving Dawson a run. Frost in to replace Gardiner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs- Darcy Gardiner(inj), Oscar McInerney(omit), Brandon Starcevich(omit).

Ins- Zac Bailey, Cedric Cox, Jacob Allison.

Get some pace into the side, if there wasn't only 2 games to go I'd be resting McCluggage and Rayner, they looked very tired and worn out yesterday. Injuries can occur with tired players so I wouldn't be disappointed if we rested them for Mitch Hinge and Corey Lyons, not going to happen though IMO.

No doubt there will be a lot of debate about the merits of winning against the Suns.

Win - will leapfrog St Kilda and more than likely end up with pick 5 (factoring in the Suns receiving a pick after their first for losing Lynch) and miss out on one of the big 4 draftees; or

Lose - Gold Coast jump the Lions (and St Kilda), which (a) brings the Lions into the mix to receive an end of first round priority pick (based purely on the talk that the Suns will receive one, which given they'd finish above the Lions would then bring us into the mix), and (b) brings us well into contention to receive pick 2 and draft one of Lukosius or Sam Walsh.

Milestones - Stefan Martin will play his 100th club game for the Lions (and brings any offspring into father son / daughter calculations).

Ins - Bewick, Allison, Cox, Lyons, Smith, Frost

Outs - Gardiner (I), Hodge (O), Beams (O), McStay (O), Taylor (O), McInerney (O)

Suns by 1 point.

Really can't see fagan tanking at the selection table. Stirikes me as a super competitive type (as you need to be when moving in elite circles) and in his press conferences he regularly states we are all about the wins and each week that's what we are playing for.

The winning feeling is a great training drill.

There’s no debate for me - we have to win next week.

While I’m sure the more disappointed supporters will want 5-6 changes, I think we will see a max of 3 with dizzy and starce likely outs. I get everyone is frustrated with rich and Taylor but I don’t see better options in the reserves just yet.

Really can't see fagan tanking at the selection table. Stirikes me as a super competitive type (as you need to be when moving in elite circles) and in his press conferences he regularly states we are all about the wins and each week that's what we are playing for.

The winning feeling is a great training drill.
Agree. Pick the best 22 on information available. And the coach and selection panel have the best information.

Is there anyone here who would genuinely rather lose this game in order to give us a draft pick that is potentially one spot higher? Just curious.

I'm not that emotionally invested in one game of football that won't impact our future at all.

If it was up to me I would rather Walsh or lukosious over a win at Metricon.

Club will push for the win though because that's how the club operates.

Allison for Gardiner. We lack run out of defence.

Bailey or Cox for Starcevich who is long way of being a league footballer at this stage.

Inject some pace and if Rich plays another shocker against a team going as bad as the Suns I would drop him for last game of the year vs Eagles and let him ponder that over summer.

The Suns don't really have a key forward at the moment, so we won't have to replace Dizzy with a tall I wouldn't have thought.

They played Crossley and Leslie who should be shut down by Andrews and Walker. Dizzy would’ve been a good matchup for Young but I think we can cover him anyway.

We definitely don’t need an extra tall defender.

There’s no debate for me - we have to win next week.

While I’m sure the more disappointed supporters will want 5-6 changes, I think we will see a max of 3 with dizzy and starce likely outs. I get everyone is frustrated with rich and Taylor but I don’t see better options in the reserves just yet.
Not about having better options available at the reserves. Its about saying to them that this type of effort isn't acceptable for senior players. Drop them and then maybe they will realise that they have to go when it is their time like the younger boys. Bit of pain next week for much more improved performances int he future.

Seeing a lot of people dropping forwards or defenders but it was the midfield that really let us down. Some of them need to be dropped. Don't really know who were the most underperforming mids but they should be the 1st dropped after Gardiner (inj)

I thought my changes were pushing it but Dylan really writes some ridiculous s**t
Which changes didn’t you agree with; Taylor, Gardiner (same outs), McStay, Beams, Hodge or McInerney?

I’ve commented on why Beams should be omitted, but I want pace and more versatility, hence Allison and Cox coming in who you also said should come in (replacing Hodge), but also Bewick to replace McStay who hasn’t offered much defensive pressure.

I’m guessing you’ve taken issue with Beams and McInerney being omitted. McInerney has been rubbish of late and doesn’t offer a lot more than Smith, who IMO should be given an opportunity.

Which changes didn’t you agree with; Taylor, Gardiner (same outs), McStay, Beams, Hodge or McInerney?

I’ve commented on why Beams should be omitted, but I want pace and more versatility, hence Allison and Cox coming in who you also said should come in (replacing Hodge), but also Bewick to replace McStay who hasn’t offered much defensive pressure.

I’m guessing you’ve taken issue with Beams and McInerney being omitted. McInerney has been rubbish of late and doesn’t offer a lot more than Smith, who IMO should be given an opportunity.
McInerny has been really good actually. Defensive pressure, pressure relieving marks especially this weekend. Needs to kick more goals tho but is a lot better than Smith at this stage. Why should we give Archie an opportunity if he hasn't deserved it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back