Opinion 2019 lineup

I like to muse after every game, what our 2019 lineup might look like.

Forward line is still a massive query. A fit backline and midfield are starting to take shape and better balance themselves though.

FB: Morris Cordy Wood
HB: Williams Adams JJ
C: Hunter Macrae Richards
HF: Dickson Schache Mclean
FF: English
R: Trengove Bonti Libba
IC: Crozier, West, Dunkley, Lipinski

Suckling, Picken, naughton, wallis, Dal, Dale, Lynch, gowers, Greene, Boyd.

Some points:

- I don’t see how Morris, cordy, adams, Wood and naughton all fit into the same team.

- Team has looked very different with Trengove in the ruck. Which leaves Boyd and English to fight for the forward/ruck role.

- we really need to land a goal-kicking small forward. I don’t like dal, dale, Daniel etc for that role. I do like Shai Bolton.

- Greene, gowers, Dickson (inj), Picken (inj) and lloyd if he comes can all fight for 2 mid size forward spots.

- add more class at 6 with rozee or rankine

If we can flip at least one of Dal and Wallis for some more speed and class, we’re rounding things out nicely.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Forward line is still a massive query. A fit backline and midfield are starting to take shape and better balance themselves though.

Some points:

- I don’t see how Morris, cordy, adams, Wood and naughton all fit into the same team.

- Team has looked very different with Trengove in the ruck. Which leaves Boyd and English to fight for the forward/ruck role.

- we really need to land a goal-kicking small forward. I don’t like dal, dale, Daniel etc for that role. I do like Shai Bolton.

- Greene, gowers, Dickson (inj), Picken (inj) and lloyd if he comes can all fight for 2 mid size forward spots.

If we can flip at least one of Dal and Wallis for some more speed and class, we’re rounding things out nicely.

I’d trade Adams and put Naughton in

We have too many KPBS now and he is injured far too much.

FoochPackage

All Australian
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jeez tough choice to leave naughton out?? Kid is an absolute jet. I have grave fears for Easton wood. Only time will tell if I'm on the money.

So torn with what to do with pick 6. A king or classy ball user. Get it right and we have a chance to shoot straight back up the ladder.

Fronk I'd move Williams to the bench, ignore his first half of the year (no 1 metres gained player in the comp) - he's a mid and is part of our second rotation.
Crozier to the HB line.

Morris next year will be a bonus, not a week in week out proposition. The Adams question will be around his body as much as selection.

Gowers I'd have in the starting 18, preferably forward. Has a little bit of strut and some mongrel, I like that.

Jeez tough choice to leave naughton out?? Kid is an absolute jet. I have grave fears for Easton wood. Only time will tell if I'm on the money.

So torn with what to do with pick 6. A king or classy ball user. Get it right and we have a chance to shoot straight back up the ladder.
I'm also worried about Wood. His best is incredible but as a small intercept player Crozier is playing incredibly well right now, and as we saw earlier this year Wood can't really play anywhere else.

FoochPackage

All Australian
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm also worried about Wood. His best is incredible but as a small intercept player Crozier is playing incredibly well right now, and as we saw earlier this year Wood can't really play anywhere else.
That's my concern. One dimensional. Havent seen his best for near on 2 years. Big pre season coming up for Easton. Hope he proves me wrong!

Agree there’s some fragility in the back 6, with Morris, Adams and wood. Even without those 3 we’re in decent shape though.

I don’t subscribe to Williams moving into the middle though. I don’t think he has the tank and also think it takes away one of his best strengths in his contested marking.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City

Some points:

The question that comes to mind is where is Caleb Daniel and why is he somehow not in our best 22?

Played a sort of back pocket sweeper role today and I liked it a lot.

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Morris - Adams - Wood
JJ - Naughton - Crozier
Hunter - Liber - Macrae
Wallis - Schache - McLean
Gowers - Boyd - Dickson
Trengove - Dunkley - Bonti

Daniel - Williams - Cordy - Richards

I’d have Picken and Dahl in there, but don’t know if they’ll be at the club. Suckling is the one I struggle to find a spot for with Williams kicking on.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
People underselling Lynch (or I could be over rating him). He should get a fair chunk of 2019 to show what he can do off our back flank. These last two weeks he has been played forward which doesn't suit him IMO. He oozes flash and run, much like Richards.

Oct 2, 2010
Gate 7, Bay Q26, Row W, S1
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Some points:

No Daniel Fronk - do you expect him to be traded or an oversight?

I'm with Fooch on Easton Wood. Great bloke and at his best was AA-quality ... 2015. However his production dropped 10% in 2016 and a further 10% in 2017. I'd hate to think what it did in 2018 ... I haven't crunched the numbers yet. Add the fact that he can't get continuity and I think his career is in jeopardy. Being captain may mean he holds his spot a little longer (but it really shouldn't be a major factor). In fact I'd make Bont skipper straight off.

As Fooch says, I hope Wood proves me wrong and turns it around. But that's what he has to do to warrant a place in my first 18: turn it around.

I think Naughton is our outstanding recruit of 2018 and he will only get better. I'd put him in the side and let Moz take the smaller forwards.

I'm not convinced about Lynch yet but happy to wait and see.

On the other hand I'm bullish about Greene and I think he has a huge upside. Big call but I'm speculating he could be a 30-40 goal forward in a couple of years, especially if we get some skilful ball users drilling it inside 50. At this stage I'd have Gowers ahead of him but only just and that could change as early as April next year.

Boyd is a puzzle but I'll back him in for now.

Anyway, here's my 22 for Rd 1 next year.

FB: Morris Cordy Naughton
HB: Crozier Adams JJ
HF: Dickson Schache McLean
FF: English, Boyd, Gowers
R: Trengove, Bont (c), Libba
IC: Williams, Daniel, Dunkley, Suckling

I'm assuming one if not both of Wallis/Dahl are gone. Not counting on West or pick 5 being a walk up start but one can always hope. I'm waiting to see with Picken. If he's fit and ready he walks into the side.

With routine injuries (not 2018 levels) there should still be plenty of opportunities for players like Lipinski, Lynch, Dale, Wood, Greene, Young, etc.

Agree there’s some fragility in the back 6, with Morris, Adams and wood. Even without those 3 we’re in decent shape though.

I don’t subscribe to Williams moving into the middle though. I don’t think he has the tank and also think it takes away one of his best strengths in his contested marking.
We'll agree to disagree on Williams, I thought he really showed something in the middle and used his neat sidestep too to kick goals from congestion when resting forward.

Take out Morris Adams and Wood and we'd feasibly have a back 6 of:

[Rotation] Cordy Suckling
JJ Naughton Crozier

Richards can go back or go to a wing which I'd like to see, he's an attacking weapon and his defensive work is solid.
We seem to be rotation a distributer back there too (even Hunter's gone back, Daniel) and the club seem to rate Roarke Smith back there although I have my doubts.

In an extra year or two I'd imagine Khamis goes through there - basically a taller version of Wood who can play an intercept role against guys bigger than himself.
Bailey Dale played some pre-season gametime in the back half too although he just need to get his body right first.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Back 6: Naughton, Suckling, Crazier, Adams, Richards, Cordy.

Mid 6: Williams, McLean, Macrae, Hunter, Johannisen, ZAC CLARKE :eek:.

Forward 6: Bontempelli, Greene, Schache, Trengove, Dale, Gowers.

Int: WILL HAYES :eek:, Dunkley, Lipinski, Lynch.

Get what you can for the others. Keep Young despite the whispers.

Southern 8

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe with another pre season training forward Wood can become the forward Bevo was in visioning. I'm not sure if a few (granted)very ordinary games forward is enough to completely give up on idea. He might be back this week or next maybe try him forward again it's worth the risk for the return if even doubtful will work. Our backline is stacked with talent and our forward line could use a boost. Naughton could be a future swingman but for now think he plays better settled down back. Not sure what to do with Woody ATM that's why forward is still worth a go.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB: Wood Naughton Cordy
HB: Crozier Adams JJ
HF: McLean English Dunkley
FF: Lipinski Schache Gowers
R: Trengove Libba Bont
Int: Williams Suckling Daniel Wallis
Em: Boyd Dahl Jong Morris

Dale, Picken, Young, Greene, Lynch, Dickson, Biggs, West, Pick 6, Khamis, Dawson, Chatfield

Need more zip.

As much as I’m against losing their experience, and Wallis has been really solid, it’s obvious why the club would let Wallis and Dahl go if they bring value in return. Particularly with West and possibly another highly rated mid coming in.

Rough, Campbell, Roberts, Webb, Honeychurch, Collins, Porter are all expendable, subject to what else we do. Wouldn’t want all of them gone in one off-season, though, particularly with our injury history.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OK, I'm going to try a 2020 team assuming by then we have lost/traded/retired/cooked several players: Suckling, Moz, Adams, Wood, Picken, Dickson and traded a mystery player end 2019, and got Ben King this year

FB: Crozier Naughton Cordy
HB: Williams King JJ
C: Hunter Macrae Kelly
HF: McLean Schache Greene
FF: Lipinski Boyd Gowers
R: English Libba Bont
Int: Richards West Daniel Dunkley

Dale, Lynch, Khamis, Dawson, Chatfield

EDIT, Thanks Fronk. Too many Croziers, in goes Williams and West

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to try a 2020 team assuming by then we have lost/traded/retired/cooked several players: Suckling, Moz, Adams, Wood, Picken, Dickson and traded a mystery player end 2019, and got Ben King this year

FB: Crozier Naughton Cordy
HB: Crozier King JJ
C: Hunter Macrae Kelly
HF: McLean Schache Greene
FF: Lipinski Boyd Gowers
R: English Libba Bont
Int: Richards Williams Daniel Dunkley

Dale, Lynch, West, Khamis, Dawson, Chatfield

This is the right timeframe to be looking at I reckon DR (ie without Picken, Dickson, suckling, Morris, wood etc).

Backline (albeit you’ve cloned crozier) and midfield are sharp.

I still worry about that forward line. I’d love to land a goal kicking small this off-season.

Kelly is the ultimate goal.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is the right timeframe to be looking at I reckon DR (ie without Picken, Dickson, suckling, Morris, wood etc).

Backline (albeit you’ve cloned crozier) and midfield are sharp.

I still worry about that forward line. I’d love to land a goal kicking small this off-season.

Kelly is the ultimate goal.

Thanks Fronk. Too many Croziers, in goes Williams and West.

Agree that forward line is dodgy. May need more than a good small to fix it.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2019 team

Wood Cordy Crozier
Jj. Ben King Naughton
McRae. Libba. Richards
Gowers. Boyd. Hunter
Bolton. Schache. Dunkley
English. Bont McLean

Int from - Greene West Bolton Lynch Williams Trengrove Lipinski Daniel Picken Khamis

In - Ben King, West, Khamis, Bolton
Retired - Smith
Trade/delist -Collins Campbell Adams Walis Dahl Honey Biggs Jong

Last edited:
Back