Under Age AFL U15s and U16s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whats everyone thoughts on the PSA competition, is it a stronger competition then club? I have Noticed a lot of the PSA kids don’t play club once they get to year 10.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Whats everyone thoughts on the PSA competition, is it a stronger competition then club? I have Noticed a lot of the PSA kids don’t play club once they get to year 10.
THey have to play their sport on Saturdays from year 10 onwards so although club is played on a Sunday, sometimes it too much. PSA sport is compulsory. They are not allowed to play Colts (but that’s a wafl rule- you won’t be selected to play colts if you have played another game that week).
Due to the large amount of talent taken out of club footy many believe the PSA standard is better. Even the PSA standard of younger years (when they are still mostly playing club as well) is considered stronger.
At the very least, the fact that PsA drains so many kids and often top class kids away from club weakens club considerably. Also, the top kids in years 10/11 who aren’t PSA aren’t really playing local footy consistently as they are often playing Colts. So again, club footy is fairly weak come Year 11 and beyond.

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
THey have to play their sport on Saturdays from year 10 onwards so although club is played on a Sunday, sometimes it too much. PSA sport is compulsory. They are not allowed to play Colts (but that’s a wafl rule- you won’t be selected to play colts if you have played another game that week).
Due to the large amount of talent taken out of club footy many believe the PSA standard is better. Even the PSA standard of younger years (when they are still mostly playing club as well) is considered stronger.
At the very least, the fact that PsA drains so many kids and often top class kids away from club weakens club considerably. Also, the top kids in years 10/11 who aren’t PSA aren’t really playing local footy consistently as they are often playing Colts. So again, club footy is fairly weak come Year 11 and beyond.

Thanks for your input mate, I have noticed a higher percentage of the PSA kids seem to get drafter.

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
The WAFL colts competition isn't as strong as it can and perhaps should be. At the end of the day the PSA schools want their students to represent their school, WAFL colts doesn't matter to them.

Brett1974

Rookie
May 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for your input mate, I have noticed a higher percentage of the PSA kids seem to get drafter.
I think the PSA is better than community and WAFL here in WA. The PSA schools have different resourcing available and certainly want to support the development of their elite players. Many PSA schools have positive partnerships with their WAFL club and understand that the elite players need to straddle both programs. These elite kids are still named in Colts' squads and play when not playing for PSA.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
A lot stronger. My boys played in both and PSA is significantly higher standard. A lad debuted in Colts last week qho scratches to get a game of thirds at his PSA school.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Problem with the PSA competition is that unless your parents can invest the significant amount of money into your schooling, you'll never have an opportunity to play. This would limit a large number of top athletes....

Look at some of the annual school fees which doesnt include all the extra's....

Hale: $25700
Trinity $15,000
Aquinas $16500

How the hell do parents afford to pay these fee's annually?

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Problem with the PSA competition is that unless your parents can invest the significant amount of money into your schooling, you'll never have an opportunity to play. This would limit a large number of top athletes....

Trinity $15,000
Aquinas $16500

With great difficulty

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont think its worth it. You would be better off investing this money into the childs University studies.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Trinity $15,000
Aquinas $16500

Sporting scholarships are not permitted under the PSA rules. BUT quite a few promising footballers arrive in Year 11 on an "academic" scholarship. Lucky to string two sentences together... So one way or another the PSA get most of them!

McCraeBF

All Australian
Dec 23, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
5 of the Victorian U15 side were on The Footy Show tonight.

s**t Justin Davies is a big boy.

Plays against my Son in the ruck...6,4 and solid good runner as well...
Salmon is a key forward gun player,6,2 already

Best out off all that age would be Josh Sinn 6,1 and growing long kicking left footer can kick it 60 meters at ease..he will be better that Kelly watched both closely.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Any PSA boys to look out for at this years development carnival?
for certain zones (probably Claremont, subi, east freo) they would have a whole heap of PSA kids. if you look at sswa 12s over 2015-2016, they are the kids who are in the 14;s and 15s development squads now.

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Best out off all that age would be Josh Sinn 6,1 and growing long kicking left footer can kick it 60 meters at ease..he will be better that Kelly watched both closely.
Are these boys all from APS schools?

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont think its worth it. You would be better off investing this money into the childs University studies.
Each to their own. It was good for me, although I didn't have much choice as there weren't any high schools in the country where I grew up and had to board. My three boys are all different and are all realising their potential and feel strong ties to their school.

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Each to their own. It was good for me, although I didn't have much choice as there weren't any high schools in the country where I grew up and had to board. My three boys are all different and are all realising their potential and feel strong ties to their school.

If

If I Was in a position to send my boys to a PSA school I would be.

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
4A2DF7C3-FC10-4253-95FC-14D13B32BB27.jpeg

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, really well developed early, but I like that he is competing against kids his size and being challenged rather than rolling around in his age group just dominating. It will help him when kids his age catch up.

That kid has bigger arms than most fully grown men let alone a 13 year old kid. No wonder he is playing beyond his years. Still not convinced kids like him will keep growing. As I’ve said before I wonder how tall his old man is.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
interesting to note that Gov stirling school won the eagles cup on the weekend. PSA schools don't enter this comp. GS beat Emmanuel and a few weeks ago I heard that Aquinas (Year 9's I think) played Emmanuel as a one off and Aquinas accounted for Emmanuel easily in the end. And not even sure if Aquinas year 9's are the best of the PSA schools. These other schools have football specific programs etc but still fall a little short of PSA schools. I guess playing footy each week against other PSA schools in a proper competition is very beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back