Transfer discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
People having a dig at City, but reality is plenty of clubs are doing something very similar. How many players do Chelsea have out on loan? Big clubs snap up young talent, loan them to clubs who are happy to play them. They have no intention of ever having them play for the first team unless they become superstars, but know they can likely be sold for a tidy profit. City do get help by having their other clubs, but Arzani still had to agree to the deal, and Celtic still had to take him on, which have nothing to do with City ownership. It’s a practice that essentially every big club is capable of doing
This is how Udinese survived for a long time

But now Watford is the top dog in that ownership chain due to PL TV money

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
This is how Udinese survived for a long time

But now Watford is the top dog in that ownership chain due to PL TV money
No, Udinese actually puts those players on the pitch. It's not stockpiling, which is what 99 Problems was talking about. But even in Chelsea's case you could argue the main goal has been to get talented players playing for Chelsea, not a profit motive.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
No, Udinese actually puts those players on the pitch. It's not stockpiling, which is what 99 Problems was talking about. But even in Chelsea's case you could argue the main goal has been to get talented players playing for Chelsea, not a profit motive.
Lol

Udineses better players play for the club, but they're a loan farm themselves, like Chelsea and City, but on a much lower scale

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
Lol

Udineses better players play for the club, but they're a loan farm themselves, like Chelsea and City, but on a much lower scale
Your 'Lol' makes no sense. We're talking about Man City buying people with no intention of playing them for Man City, but instead because they want to keep control of the player. Udinese is not similar.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Your 'Lol' makes no sense. We're talking about Man City buying people with no intention of playing them for Man City, but instead because they want to keep control of the player. Udinese is not similar.
Udinese does this too and farms them off to Granada and previously Watford before they were promoted...

Chelsea is way way way way worse than City in this regard, yet I'm not seeing flogs laying the boots into them

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
Udinese does this too and farms them off to Granada and previously Watford before they were promoted...

Chelsea is way way way way worse than City in this regard, yet I'm not seeing flogs laying the boots into them
Well, you aren't looking hard enough. People have repeatedly criticised Chelsea for doing that. My only point with Udinese and Chelsea is that they do play some of those players. They can argue that they are hoping players develop into first team options (as every team does with their academies). The difference with City's business is that they have zero real intention of playing them. Caceres was a way to get him to Melb City (you could also argue the Lampard purchase was done in a similar way, where Chelsea certainly wouldn't have expected him to turn up back in the same league). Mooy was a way to sell him at a profit. Arzani, as much as we can all dream, is a LONG way off being a potential Man City player.

The point is pretty obvious, and doesn't need to be obfuscated. If people really want to argue that this sort of conduct should be allowed, then they should instead argue for the A-League to allow teams to keep registrations of players while loaning the out elsewhere as they attempt to build careers in other leagues. The argument shouldn't be that multi-club ownership is an advantage, because obviously that benefits the rich. Football is already very beneficial to the rich without advocating for City's situation.

Loaning a player out doesn't mean you have no intention of playing them. Zinchenko was bought on the cheap, loaned out and is now a premier league title winner. Douglas Luiz would have been in the squad if his work permit application wasn't refused

I have high hopes for Arzani. I think he could one day be good enough. Mooy for me was always going to be up against it at City, but I doubt he has too many complaints about the path we offered him.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Now that Emenalo is gone i dont see us doing the footballer farm thing as much.

We'll still loan plenty academy kids(but thats because we have a great academy system) and the occasional wring buy(like Bakayoko). Nothing to get too triggered about though.
Hopefully them Michael Hector type of buys stop from you lot

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
City and Chelsea have been taking the piss for years, but you make up your own rules when you are wealthy enough

City and Chelsea have been taking the piss for years, but you make up your own rules when you are wealthy enough
Why would we need to make up rules when we've done nothing to break the existing rules.

I think it's others making up the rules as they go tbh.

Last edited:

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why would we need to make up rules when we've done nothing to break the existing rules.
You make up rules to get around FFP. I’m not going there with you again Moomba because we’ve done this to death.

Loved the Arsenal chant yesterday btw, about you just buying success.

You make up rules to get around FFP. I’m not going there with you again Moomba because we’ve done this to death.

Loved the Arsenal chant yesterday btw, about you just buying success.
Not going there but mentions it anyway. Rightio.

As I've mentioned before we complied fully with FFP rules right up to around April 2013, the month after we released our final set of accounts for the first FFP reporting period. That was when UEFA rewrote their own guidelines on FFP and made them retrospective.

The main change of those guidelines related to pre July 2010 spending, a year before FFP laws were introduced. Those changes were the difference between passing and failing.

As for the Arsenal chants, haven't heard them. But in general I can't say that chants about how successful we've been in recent years upset me too much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back