Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

To go through 5 recos and 7 odd years of not playing, to never give up, and then get hit with a 6th in his second game back would be shattering.
Yet at 1/4 time he came out and showed a team first focus to actually get around the guys and zero sook.

That is a guy with massive character

I watced him closely in his debut year. He would have polled in the Norm Smith medal that year and was tracking to be a star. It’s beyond unfair and we have seen the same with General...

Another knee injury to alex johnson, feel for the guy given his horrendous history. 5 knee recos already. If another acl, that might be the career done unfortunately. Even if his desire to play is there, it wouldnt be in the best interest of his health. All the best to him but the way he went down didnt look good. As one would expect, the whole Sydney team look very deflated.

Tommo is one of his close mates and hope he gets around him and make sure he is well supported mentally during his recovery.
Yeah even though he is a swan it sucks for Alex. What a strong bloke too the way he took it (to the cameras anyway)

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was having a rubbish day then saw what happened to this poor lad and it put everything into perspective.

Hope the industry looks after this guy, he’s done everything in his power to make it work.
He will retire I'm 99% sure. He had a smile on his face and shook the hands of everyone on the bench, staff and players before heading to the race. For a bloke facing a 6th reco, I reckon just playing another AFL game was his premiership to be honest. Everyone said he could not do it and Kudos to him for working hard enough for it to happen. But I cant see him wanting to do it again

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/players-voice-devon-smith/

Interesting article. Talks about his time at GWS and some thoughts around his decision to leave.

My first two years at the Giants were some of the best years of my life. It’s difficult to explain the situation, but having 20-something 18-year-olds running around in Breakfast Point and living together was a surreal experience. I look back on it as a 24-month camp! On my floor, there was Taylor Adams, Toby Greene, Adam Tomlinson and Tommy Bugg. Every night there was FIFA and we made the most of it. While I'm on the topic, I’d like to thank the Lambert family for what they did for us boys, it was huge. They created a family environment for all of us and often I was there just hanging out with the kids.

Throughout my six years with the Giants, I gave my blood, my sweat, my heart and my soul. The foundation players made a pact that we would stay together to achieve a premiership. Even last year, I still wasn’t sure if I was coming home or staying with the Giants, but I looked around the locker room and the people and the staff had changed. Around 75 percent of those that I wanted to achieve success with were gone. One of the biggest things was when Nathan Wilson left. He was one of my best mates, and once he told me that later in the year it played with my mind to think that if I did hang around, who was going to be left? It was so hard watching that preliminary final loss to Richmond last year. I hadn’t played for four weeks leading up to the game and I had been doing a mountain of work to get up to play, and my knee was at 90 percent and I felt in my head that I was right. Leon and the coaches went with Stevie J, and I remember sitting behind the goals and as Richmond got in front in the third quarter, it was then that I felt in my mind my time at GWS was over.
So, sour grapes or something else? Toby & Tommo were still at the club, plus plenty of originals. Interesting too that he never mentions Jezza - when they seemed to be best mates. Any falling out there at all? I guess we might find out a little more when everyone's retired and Emma Q writes a book about the first decade!

Interesting too that he never mentions Jezza - when they seemed to be best mates. Any falling out there at all?

I think, as fans, we overrate the "best mates" angle. Two of the guys make a reference to it early on and then we assume it never changes even if it's never mentioned again. These are generally 18 year old kids to start with - I can't say I'm even in touch with my best mates from that time. We had a similar thing in the Lions where Redden and Rocky were mentioned as a "bromance" a year or two after drafting, and then everyone assumed they always were and neither of them would ever leave without the other as a result. People and interests change, develop and mature at different rates.

I think, as fans, we overrate the "best mates" angle. Two of the guys make a reference to it early on and then we assume it never changes even if it's never mentioned again. These are generally 18 year old kids to start with - I can't say I'm even in touch with my best mates from that time. We had a similar thing in the Lions where Redden and Rocky were mentioned as a "bromance" a year or two after drafting, and then everyone assumed they always were and neither of them would ever leave without the other as a result. People and interests change, develop and mature at different rates.
I remember a video in 2015 that they shared a fishing boat? Take your point though.
Some obviously do last, like Phil Davis and Dangerfield from their Crows days Interesting to note the press talked up the friendship of Sloane and Dangerfield although Phil was best man at Dangerfields wedding etc.

I do think there's a bit if revisionism in Devons statement. He speaks if a joyous early couple of years, but he's previously said he was injured and went home with no intention of returning in the early years, and was talked out if it by Mel Lambert.
Disappointed in his comments, and I dont think being omitted from the PF team is credible as the sole reason, might have pissed him off though. Players generally dont mention money but I'msure it matters.
Like Steele saying he was happy to be at a real club on moving to the Saints, it would be better unsaid I think.
I dont hold a grudge against either though, they put in a lot of hard work and effort for us, six years in Devon's case and I have nothing but best wishes for them both.

I remember a video in 2015 that they shared a fishing boat? Take your point though.
Some obviously do last, like Phil Davis and Dangerfield from their Crows days Interesting to note the press talked up the friendship of Sloane and Dangerfield although Phil was best man at Dangerfields wedding etc.

I do think there's a bit if revisionism in Devons statement. He speaks if a joyous early couple of years, but he's previously said he was injured and went home with no intention of returning in the early years, and was talked out if it by Mel Lambert.
Disappointed in his comments, and I dont think being omitted from the PF team is credible as the sole reason, might have pissed him off though. Players generally dont mention money but I'msure it matters.
Like Steele saying he was happy to be at a real club on moving to the Saints, it would be better unsaid I think.
I dont hold a grudge against either though, they put in a lot of hard work and effort for us, six years in Devon's case and I have nothing but best wishes for them both.
Ha I didn't know that about what Steele said. I wonder how he feels now given that he's at a club that's going nowhere.

Always just saw Dev and Cameron as good workmates as once it was off season they wouldn't spend anytime together, while other guys at the club would actually holiday together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dev was described in a podcast a couple of weeks ago as someone who "doesn't like community theatre"

ie: prefers the big stage.

probably more apt for Treloar, but I liked the point.

you don't think a guy who is a regular panelist on a tv show about sport should get briefed by the AFL along with about 50 other journos?

hmmmmm.....

interesting.

I'd be interested to know why.
For the same reason I wouldn't offer opinions to the TAB and CUB.

Because even though I enjoy them both, I'm not qualified to do so.

For the same reason I wouldn't offer opinions to the TAB and CUB.

Because even though I enjoy them both, I'm not qualified to do so.

yeah, but he wasn't asked for his opinion.

the AFL got a whole bunch of media types in a room and said "here's what we're doing with rule changes. this is the process. these are some of the options"

that's it. end of story.

as a regular panelist on the offsiders (a sports tv show) Ali was invited to attend.

neither he - nor anybody else in the room - were asked for their input or opinions.

but.... you know..... he's brown - so the racist f**ks went to work on a beat-up click-bait piece of s#*t set of articles that had nothing to do with anything even remotely connected to reality.

but thanks for playing anyway.

and if the TAB or CUB came to you and said "we're putting a focus group together. what do you think of our product. how could we improve it?" you'd just say "sorry, not qualified to answer"

I think not.

I took issue with his "Give me back the VFL at (I don't remember which) Park, that's my footy happy place" or words to that effect, tbh that's what I thought the comment was in relation to

Agree he was invited and did nothing he shouldn't have, but he did promote (simply by the statement) the VFL bias we are fighting every bloody day.

I don't follow social media so purely reacting to the news story I read.

yeah, but he wasn't asked for his opinion.

the AFL got a whole bunch of media types in a room and said "here's what we're doing with rule changes. this is the process. these are some of the options"

that's it. end of story.

as a regular panelist on the offsiders (a sports tv show) Ali was invited to attend.

neither he - nor anybody else in the room - were asked for their input or opinions.

but.... you know..... he's brown - so the racist f**ks went to work on a beat-up click-bait piece of s#*t set of articles that had nothing to do with anything even remotely connected to reality.

but thanks for playing anyway.

and if the TAB or CUB came to you and said "we're putting a focus group together. what do you think of our product. how could we improve it?" you'd just say "sorry, not qualified to answer"

I think not.
I’m not racist. I don’t see color like left-wing types do. Only a racist would bring that up as an argument, but thanks for playing!!

And Roy Masters has also been a regular panelist on that show. And I’d trust his opinion on the rules as much as I would Roger Rogerson at a drug bust. But hey, narrative and racist and yada yada yada, whatever helps you sleep at night, you racist.

I’m not racist. I don’t see color like left-wing types do. Only a racist would bring that up as an argument, but thanks for playing!!

And Roy Masters has also been a regular panelist on that show. And I’d trust his opinion on the rules as much as I would Roger Rogerson at a drug bust. But hey, narrative and racist and yada yada yada, whatever helps you sleep at night, you racist.

Wow. Did you take my response wrongly. None of it was directed at you - but thanks for playing.

And you still don’t get that HE WASN’T ASKED FOR HIS OPINION.

Why was he the ONLY ONE singled out - out of everyone there? The exact same story (Walid Ali attended a briefing where he wasn’t asked anything) could have been written substituting any name of any and everyone who was there. Why was it he and he alone that was singled out? Of course it was about race.

Wow. Did you take my response wrongly. None of it was directed at you - but thanks for playing.

And you still don’t get that HE WASN’T ASKED FOR HIS OPINION.

Why was he the ONLY ONE singled out - out of everyone there? The exact same story (Walid Ali attended a briefing where he wasn’t asked anything) could have been written substituting any name of any and everyone who was there. Why was it he and he alone that was singled out? Of course it was about race.
In hindsight, you’re correct. It wasn’t directed at me and I apologize mate. I misconstrued your post.

Peace?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back