mayhem20202

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2007
Sale, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United
Kicked two, and had direct assists in four others. Most effective game. Imagine this guy and Joey D together next season

Afl app has him with 3, I thought it was 2 also, but now I’m confused. He’s definitely our most influential forward at this point. Kicks goals and brings others into the game, very unselfish and team oriented

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No lasting concerns, no major issue, sounds like there is something there though. At least he didn't break his hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-08-07/skins-injury-update-rd-21

Stringer lashed out at the players’ bench in frustration during the third term of the loss last weekend after suffering a lower leg injury, but Crow confirmed there were no lasting concerns for the versatile Bomber.

“Jake took that knock to the shin in the area where he’s previously broken his leg. Fortunately, there’s no major issue there,” he said.

“He also trained today and we expect him to be available.”

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
A thing that stood out for me was a moment in the last qtr when he was probably infringed against in a marking contest and went to instinctively object to the ump. He seemed to catch himself though immediately and won the contest at ground level near the boundary. I’ve seen him give up on that sort of contest in the past. His team instinct is growing I reckon.

He’s also working hard in the F50 with his leading patterns etc which creates space for his teammates. In the past he’d almost demand they kick the ball on his head or over the back, he’s finally moving more. Still a lazy * when the ball is on the way out though!!

Oh, and sometimes, occasionally, he manages to break even in the ruck ;)

I've said it multiple times, and I'll probably say it a dozen more times over his career with us, but I still can't believe we have him.
And for what we gave up for him, he practically fell off the back of a truck.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Ironically Stringer as the 2nd ruck is actually a legitimate strategy against the Tigers since they play Griggs in there.
Last time we played them he was a big influence in the middle with lots of contested possessions and clearances (albeit not the best kicking on the day). This time he will probably be a permanent forward other than short stints in the ruck I guess.

If we are to win this match we need a big impact from the package. He's been a beauty for us this year though. I also think he's the kind of guy that could possibly unsettle the Tigers backline far more than say Brown or Hooker.

His two main successes have been his team orientation which is top class and his ability to stop the opposition marking high balls in the forward 50 - His stats massively under-rate his performance.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
His two main successes have been his team orientation which is top class and his ability to stop the opposition marking high balls in the forward 50 - His stats massively under-rate his performance.
Couldn’t agree more. The so called experts constantly under rated his year too.

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
Must win clash against the reining premier if we’re any chance at September, two of the biggest clubs in the league on a Friday night. Stringer was born for these type of games.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Cleary he isn't a ruck, or a relief ruck but i'm only just starting to understand the brilliance of playing him there.

Earlier in the season, when we played him at the stoppage he would always get caught in traffic or get caught by his man, As a midfielder, you have the game within the game, you have your opposite midfielder watching you, trying to curtail you as well as getting the ball.

I reckon when he's in the ruck, he's able to find a bit more space when the ball his the deck, the other mids are pre occupied with their own men, the other ruckman has just contested the hitout and more often then not is a bit taller and less mobile anyway - so jake sometime gets the little bit more time before anyone comes to get him when he gets he ball

just my theory anyway

Cleary he isn't a ruck, or a relief ruck but i'm only just starting to understand the brilliance of playing him there.

Earlier in the season, when we played him at the stoppage he would always get caught in traffic or get caught by his man, As a midfielder, you have the game within the game, you have your opposite midfielder watching you, trying to curtail you as well as getting the ball.

I reckon when he's in the ruck, he's able to find a bit more space when the ball his the deck, the other mids are pre occupied with their own men, the other ruckman has just contested the hitout and more often then not is a bit taller and less mobile anyway - so jake sometime gets the little bit more time before anyone comes to get him when he gets he ball

just my theory anyway
Seems like a pretty reasonable theory.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

just my theory anyway

That is an interesting theory because many times he doesn't seem to be going for the ball.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bob Murphy on SEN the other day saying Jake should essentially try and mirror Josh Caddy's game as a blueprint for himself going forward. Obviously, this means having a key forward to work off in the way it works very well for Caddy and Riewoldt.

He's had a mixed bag of roles at Essendon so far and never had a settled forward line to work within (when he wasn't in the midfield!). The hypothetical forward line for Essendon is fantastic on paper, but as the great Brian Clough once said:

'We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass'

We should rightfully expect a big year from a guy this talented in 2019, now he's settled at the club.

Averages more score involvements than Caddy and plays higher up the ground.

I actually really like the fact that we’ve explored more of what he potentially could be rather than the easy way out which would be park him at full forward and watch the magic happen

Back