Preview The Home Ground Factor in Finals is hugely overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcg has just as big of a hga as our grounds if you meet an interstate team - saying there is NO hga is deceptive.

Mate, I goto the MCG a lot. Compared to going to grounds with home ground advantage there is no experience of any distinct advantage. Even as far back as when I first started going to footy when most clubs had their own ground and only Demons and Tigers played at MCG. If you played a game at MCG or Waverley Park you could tell it was as close to neutral as you could find but goto Moorabin, Geelong, our own ground at Princes Park, Western Oval, Windy Hill, Perth, Adealide etc etc, the massive home ground advantage were clear. Now we removed most of those home ground advantages it comes back to far less with Geelong, Perth based clubs and Adelaide based with the big advantages that other clubs used to enjoy. Those clubs with distinct home ground advantage are the loudest about the talk of it WHEN they do not enjoy the protection of having it.

Carlton fans do not agree with this.

We're 6-0 v I/S teams in VIC finals and 0-7 v I/S teams in away finals.
Plus we won our 1945 grand final on our own home ground.
Probably the only finals series that gave us a home ground advantage that some spoilt with regularly now. MCG was unavailable that year due to war.

You said it is a myth. Plenty of us that go, can tell you it is not even if you reject it. That's fine.
I actually go. 16 games all up last year. Including two interstate finals we lost. It's nitrekevant though.
Urban myths are characterised by firm beliefs, that frequently arouse anger when challenged and aren't supported by facts. Seem familiar?

Geelong vs Freo EF was 45k the year before at the MCG, not unrealistic to expect 50k+ for a QF. It was purely and simply pandering to Collingwood.

Hawthorn vs Sydney is arguably a lower drawing fixture than Collingwood vs Port and Richmond vs Carlton, why wasn't that played at Etihad?
In 2012 there were only 2 games on in Melbourne, that's why they got 45k, a lot of neutral MCC/AFL members go to a couple of finals but are unlikely to go to 4 if there are 4 on. It was also the AFL Series Ticket game for week 1 which gets a whole pile of extras in.
In 2013 with 4 finals in Melbourne the demand would have been much lower, the estimated attendance for Cats v Freo at Etihad was only mid 30s. If there were only 2 games on then yes they may have got 50k at the G.

As for Hawks v Sydney, it was anticipated as the 2nd or 3rd highest crowd so it got the G.
Anyway, my original reply was in regard to a poster who claimed it was played at Geelong to manipulate the result.

100% I knew before opening that the first reply would be either from a West Coast or Adelaide fan saying it does matter. kranky al from West Coast didn't disappoint with the first two replies.
11/50.

The op is statistically so incorrect that it defies belief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it’s pretty difficult to knock off a top team on their home ground.

Home ground advantage doesn’t apply for every single game of the year and then just magically disappear on grand final day
And yet finals are very different, so why would it not?

We’ve gone around in circles about this previously kranky but let’s look at this season as an example. Richmond could likely play fellow mcg Tennant hawthorn in their first final and then Collingwood in the prelim. So for those 2 finals Richmond’s advantage for finishing top is nothing, naught, zero. The eagles however will have a serious home ground advantage in both their finals with fellow Tennant Freo out of the finals.
Do we complain? No, it’s all swings and roundabouts.
What? You're still playing on your home ground though, as opposed to having to go elsewhere and play so I'd say it's an advantage still. What you've actually done is highlight the benefit of being an MCG tenant - ie Hawthorn would be playing as the "away" team on their home ground, something non-Vic teams would almost never get.

I didn't actually post any stats, and neither has anyone else that I've seen.
Victorian teams have won 11/50 away finals.

Carlton 6-0 hosting 0-7 interstate.

Theres two stats posted so far

Edit: 3

<<<Anyway, we are 9-4 in finals at Subiaco and 2-0 at the WACA. And 1-0 at Adelaide Oval, our home away from home.

Everywhere else our record is 10-1-22. >>>

Victorian teams have won 11/50 away finals.

Carlton 6-0 hosting 0-7 interstate.

Theres two stats posted so far
They're not really conclusive though, b ut I do take your point. If a Vic team is travelling interstate it us because the interstate team has earned the right to host.

I was talking statistically. You were using the 11/50. I am using the 8/16.
Well out of the 16 ditch the ones vs non tenants.

Gawd you vics make me laugh - you sit there out of one side of your mouth making out theres no travelling burden - but the moment your mob fly to perth suddenly its huge and noone expects you to win the next week because travelling to perth takes it out of you.

Hypocrites.

They're not really conclusive though, b ut I do take your point. If a Vic team is travelling interstate it us because the interstate team has earned the right to host.
11/50 is a pretty damning stat.

Its enough to be statistically significant. I will bet any money it continues that way too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back