Preview The Home Ground Factor in Finals is hugely overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

You have an advantage when traveling over a side that doesn’t travel much, if you do something more often you get better at it no?
Marathons are hard, if I run 10 of them a year and you run 1, I’m tipping I’m going to be better at running marathons don’t you think?
In a short term yes, long term no as it means more injuries from more marathons

You have an advantage when traveling over a side that doesn’t travel much, if you do something more often you get better at it no?
Marathons are hard, if I run 10 of them a year and you run 1, I’m tipping I’m going to be better at running marathons don’t you think?
If theres any advantage gained by flying often - its a hard earned advantage

Good stat 8 each.
Would love to splice that down to who was the better team for the majority of the year / which victorian teams had MCG home ground.

For example we played St Kilda in 97 who werent an MCG tenant.
We played geelong twice for two wins (non tenant) hawthorn twice for two losses (tenant) and sydney twice for one apiece (non tenant)

Blue harvest likes to chuck the non tenants in to bump his stas up a bit.

kranky al why are you in every single thread that has to do with home games, travel etc complaining about how victimized west coast is? It's sort of sad...

Good stat 8 each.
Would love to splice that down to who was the better team for the majority of the year / which victorian teams had MCG home ground.

For example we played St Kilda in 97 who werent an MCG tenant.

West Coast's 3 flags have been against Geelong Geelong Sydney

Non-Melbourne teams

are they counted in the 8/16 split that has been mentioned so often?

We played geelong twice for two wins (non tenant) hawthorn twice for two losses (tenant) and sydney twice for one apiece (non tenant)

Blue harvest likes to chuck the non tenants in to bump his stas up a bit.
So playing a tenant the travel is a huge factor, but playing a non tenant all of a sudden travel doesn't matter? Make up your mind.

Anyway, Geelong is counted as a tenant those years, played 7 or 8 times at the G in the lead up to the GF. Just like you count Essendon and Carlton now as tenants at the G even thought it's not their home ground.

If you take out the non tenant GFs (2016,1997) it comes out at 7/14 Vic tenants v Non Vics in GFs. Perfect 50% split!

So playing a tenant the travel is a huge factor, but playing a non tenant all of a sudden travel doesn't matter? Make up your mind.

Anyway, Geelong is counted as a tenant those years, played 7 or 8 times at the G in the lead up to the GF. Just like you count Essendon and Carlton now as tenants at the G even thought it's not their home ground.

If you take out the non tenant GFs (2016,1997) it comes out at 7/14 Vic tenants v Non Vics in GFs. Perfect 50% split!
Bullshit - geelong had
5 in 1992 4 in 1994

West coast had

3 in 1992 5 in 1994

And as for the travel thing - its not the only factor. Travel, ground familiarity, sleeping in your own bed - theres a whole range if factors - you dint just get to choose one.

The reason i keep mentioning the travel is because victorians constantly discount it when its us travelling every two weeks yet when you travel to perth its a “massive factor”

Thats not just having your cake and eating it - thats wanting to have all the cakes and eating them all as well.

Vic clubs have won 11/50 interstate finals. None of the 11 winning teams finished higher on the ladder than their opponent (only possible in weeks 2 - 3 from 1987 - 1999, and week 3 from 2000 - 2017). That's a 22% win rate for a side ranked lower on the ladder in finals

In every final since 1987, the lower ranked team on the ladder after round 22 has won 32% of finals against higher ranked sides, regardless of teams or venue.

Victorian clubs have played 16 grand finals against non-Victorian teams. From those 16, 6 have been won by a lower ranked Victorian side, 5 have been won by a lower ranked non-Victorian side, and 5 were won by the highest ranked side. That's 38%, 31% and 31% respectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming 3,4,7,8 im really not feeling an advantage at all. History tells us that we lose most interstate finals.
You lose because you don't have the massive advantage that your own ground gives you over other teams.

I guess that solves it then. All other grounds have home ground advantages but the MCG tenants because you've experienced it.
Wrong. Solves nothing.
Waverley Park had no home ground advantage either. Docklands I doubt has any distinct advantage either. The home ground advantage you get when finishing top two that some clubs cannot, will never be solved. Just a reality as quite a few clubs are not allowed to have their own home grounds too.

Damn that one game is really swaying me
It does raise a valid point to me though. It's probably fair to say that WC blazed a trail for interstate clubs and made it a bit easier for those that came later. The Swans relocation was in stages and very different

Bullshit - geelong had
5 in 1992 4 in 1994

West coast had

3 in 1992 5 in 1994

And as for the travel thing - its not the only factor. Travel, ground familiarity, sleeping in your own bed - theres a whole range if factors - you dint just get to choose one.

The reason i keep mentioning the travel is because victorians constantly discount it when its us travelling every two weeks yet when you travel to perth its a “massive factor”

Thats not just having your cake and eating it - thats wanting to have all the cakes and eating them all as well.
Just checked, in 1992 Geelong had 8 games at the G before the GF, in 1994 it was 6. I'm counting week 1-3 finals.
That counts as a tenant, they were very familiar with the ground.
Just checked 2007, Geelong had 2 at the G during the season and 2 finals before the GF.

If you don't want to count Geelong as a G tenant then subtract those 3 games and it comes in at 6/11 Vic tenants v Interstate GFs, still as close to 50% as you can get.

genuine question (which i've asked before but nobody responded). what made WCE the "higher-ranked team" prior to the GF in 2015? had freo won the prelim they would have both finished top and won all their finals which would presumably make them the undisputed #1 team before GF day. so, given the hawks beat the #1-ranked team until that point, why were the eagles the higher-ranked team going into the big dance? was it because they won their QF, or was it because they finished higher after H&A?

Apart from GF day where privileged clubs like Richmond get to host regardless of where they finished

Your club knew the rules when it applied for the licence. Take it up with the Crows

——-

The premise of my statement being that GF day is the showpiece event of the season.

My teams sitting first right now, should we be allowed the deck the ground in black and gold on GF Day if we are good enough to get there? Hell no.

Should Port for example be able to treat any potential home final as a genuine home game though and sing that song? Of course they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back