Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the same thing when I read that. When I think of Carey’s best it’s something like outmarking two players at true CHF and then roosting a goal from the square.

I would put him right alongside the rocca brothers as the best I've seen at kicking long goals. The thing that made Carey stand out though, was how easy he made it look.

The only thing that has (unfortunately) stopped Buddy from being the GOAT is his inability to take contested marks. If he could've done that he'd be the best ever without a doubt. But coulda shoulda etc. but still one of the best to ever play the game. He is also a lot more flashier than the other great forwards of the past due to his freakish athletic ability. This being all my opinion of course as the topic is completely subjective anyway.

On the flip side, Franklin is one of the few players that will benefit from currency rather than hindsight because the other players of his generation are so vastly inferior.

In Carey's era there were, at any given time, more than half a dozen other forwards who would be the second best in the competition nowadays (behind Buddy obviously). Heck, Carey's own team had a Coleman medalist in it playing second fiddle to Carey.
Ablett Sr played alongside an 80 goal forward in Brownless. Sumich, Modra, Kernahan, Lloyd, Salmon at times, Minton-Connell for a short time, Lockett and Loewe, Dunstall, Jakovich briefly, Roger Merrett, Richo.

From time to time during Buddy's career players have risen - Roughead and Kennedy are the obvious ones, the Riewoldts, Pavlich and Brown but the second tier of forwards behind the number one has largely been very inferior.

That of course doesn't make buddy a better or worse player, but it does accentuate his standing in the game.
Good post, but.....

Minton-Connell - say what?

The only thing that has (unfortunately) stopped Buddy from being the GOAT is his inability to take contested marks. If he could've done that he'd be the best ever without a doubt. But coulda shoulda etc. but still one of the best to ever play the game. He is also a lot more flashier than the other great forwards of the past due to his freakish athletic ability. This being all my opinion of course as the topic is completely subjective anyway.

How about no.

I'd think, even with the way team defence has lowered scores in the past decade, Jakovich would have no chance containing a player like Buddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the flip side, Franklin is one of the few players that will benefit from currency rather than hindsight because the other players of his generation are so vastly inferior.

In Carey's era there were, at any given time, more than half a dozen other forwards who would be the second best in the competition nowadays (behind Buddy obviously). Heck, Carey's own team had a Coleman medalist in it playing second fiddle to Carey.
Ablett Sr played alongside an 80 goal forward in Brownless. Sumich, Modra, Kernahan, Lloyd, Salmon at times, Minton-Connell for a short time, Lockett and Loewe, Dunstall, Jakovich briefly, Roger Merrett, Richo.

From time to time during Buddy's career players have risen - Roughead and Kennedy are the obvious ones, the Riewoldts, Pavlich and Brown but the second tier of forwards behind the number one has largely been very inferior.

That of course doesn't make buddy a better or worse player, but it does accentuate his standing in the game.

Maybe, just maybe, it's because games are played differently these days?

The entire 'Buddy can't mark' thing is a load of s**t.

To start with, he can. He's not the greatest mark but he takes his share nonetheless. Isn't a high flying or pack mark but is no slouch one on one or contested with his opponent.

Furthermore, the most important thing for a footballer is what you do with the ball, not how you get it. He kicks goals and uses the ball beautifully when passing off to team mates.

He's not even the best forward playing the game today. I rate kennedy and Jack reiwoldt above him.

That's good. But you're wrong.

They have had better patches of form at times. Even the odd season. Buddy is the better player comfortably over careers.

How close could Carey possibly be to his peers when he is regarded as one of the 3 best players of all time?

What you are suggesting does not make sense.

TO be honest I am not even sure Carey can be classed as a forward. If he was then he would not be considered one of the best of all time as he kicked a lot fewer goals than his peers.

And Carey had tricks up his sleeve that Buddy doesn’t have.

As you noted, different types of forwards, but that doesn’t mean you can’t rate them against one another.
Didn't say you shouldn't rate them against each other. Everyone has the right to have an opinion and it's the reason this forum exists.

I had the pleasure of watching Carey play and he was definitely THE dominant contested marking half-forward. So if it's all about winning games then Carey's your guy.

Players like Buddy and even Ablett Sr on the other hand are just out and out freaks. Their careers are just a highlight reel of amazing moments. "How the hell did he do that???". Carey was never that for me even though he was a brilliant all round footballer.

Back