Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

A few in here not rating McCluggage very highly, most probably don't watch too much of the Lions.

I'm confident that McCluggage is going to be top 5 mid in the competition in 3-4 years, he is elite with ball in hand and weaves in and around congestion with ease, if you watch him closely his contested game is under rated as well. Very comparable in potential upside to Pendlebury IMO.
... In 3-4 years

Patrick Dangerfield will be 31
Josh Kelly will be 26
Nathan Fyfe will be 29
Dustin Martin will be 30
Patrick Cripps will be 26
Tom Mitchell will be 28
Jackson Macrae will be 27
Marcus Bontempelli will be 25
Clayton Oliver will be 24

Then you have Treloar, Crouch, Merrett, De Goey, Conigilio, Wines, Henney all in their prime too.

McCluggage has looked OK for a pick 2, but he really hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be ranked top 5 out of all these dominant mids.

1. Taranto
2. English
3. Mcluggage
4. McGrath
5. Setterfield
6. Ainsworth
7. Stewart
8. Brodie
9. Berry
10. Witherdan
11. Fisher
12. Morrison
12. Marshall
13. Brown
14. Hayward
15. Graham
16. Bowes
17. Ratugolea
18. Simpkin
19. Perryman
20. Florent

Didn't include rookies
This is how I'd go

... In 3-4 years

Patrick Dangerfield will be 31
Josh Kelly will be 26
Nathan Fyfe will be 29
Dustin Martin will be 30
Patrick Cripps will be 26
Tom Mitchell will be 28
Jackson Macrae will be 27
Marcus Bontempelli will be 25
Clayton Oliver will be 24

Then you have Treloar, Crouch, Merrett, De Goey, Conigilio, Wines, Henney all in their prime too.

McCluggage has looked OK for a pick 2, but he really hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be ranked top 5 out of all these dominant mids.
Some great names there Prochard.

Hugh McCluggage is an exceptional prospect IMO, I'm confident in my prediction, bookmark it for 2022.

McCluggage probably has the higher ceiling and i believe will be the better player.

But i am stoked with McGrath though. He has slotted into our halfback line and played with crazy composure for 30+gamer.
I think we will see another level from McGrath once he is able to move more into the midfield full time.

No mistakes here though - Brisbane nailed this draft!

I love that we got Simpkin. He is a one of a kind player (Not one of a kind to say he's better). Just one of a kind in the way he plays.

1. Taranto
2. McCluggage
3. Hayward
4. Mcgrath
5. Parfitt
6. Marshall
7. Witherden
8. Florent
9. Simpkin
10. Powell-Pepper
11. Berry
12. Petrevski-Seton
13. English
14. Fisher
15. Stewart

Port, Lions, Swans, Geelong did very very well in this draft with the picks they had.

1. Taranto
2. McCluggage
3. Hayward
4. Mcgrath
5. Parfitt
6. Marshall
7. Witherden
8. Florent
9. Simpkin
10. Powell-Pepper
11. Berry
12. Petrevski-Seton
13. English
14. Fisher
15. Stewart

Port, Lions, Swans, Geelong did very very well in this draft with the picks they had.
Harry Morrison has gone alright for pick 74.

Gold Coast had a shocker considering the picks they had.

4 top 10 picks in this draft but I wouldn't have any of them in my top 20 currently. Scrimshaw at pick 7 in particular has been a massive let down.

4 top 10 picks in this draft but I wouldn't have any of them in my top 20 currently. Scrimshaw at pick 7 in particular has been a massive let down.
Will Brodie ranks 6th in centre clearances per game in the competition + top 5 in basically all this years 'inside midfielder' rising star stats (ie. contested possessions, clearances, I50's). Shame he hurt his hamstring last game, wont get a rising star nod but had a 5 week patch of 23 disposal + 4.5 clearance avg.

Ben Ainsworth went at over a goal a game in his first season in the lowest scoring team and he's getting a little more midfield time this year but has had injury trouble.

Jack Bowes developing nicely from that half-back type role but he'll move to the midfield soon enough. has been visibly improving with each game this season

Scrimshaw was always going to take a few seasons of development. Most are happy with his progress and was very close to breaking into the team before a fractured cheekbone

I'd still take Brodie/Ainsworth in the top 10, Brodie in particular, and we didn't really have a choice on Bowes if we wanted him as that's where the bid fell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Brodie ranks 6th in centre clearances per game in the competition + top 5 in basically all this years 'inside midfielder' rising star stats (ie. contested possessions, clearances, I50's). Shame he hurt his hamstring last game, wont get a rising star nod but had a 5 week patch of 23 disposal + 4.5 clearance avg.

Ben Ainsworth went at over a goal a game in his first season in the lowest scoring team and he's getting a little more midfield time this year but has had injury trouble.

Jack Bowes developing nicely from that half-back type role but he'll move to the midfield soon enough. has been visibly improving with each game this season

Scrimshaw was always going to take a few seasons of development. Most are happy with his progress and was very close to breaking into the team before a fractured cheekbone

I'd still take Brodie/Ainsworth in the top 10, Brodie in particular, and we didn't really have a choice on Bowes if we wanted him as that's where the bid fell

1. Taranto
2. English
3. Mcluggage
4. McGrath
5. Setterfield
6. Ainsworth
7. Stewart
8. Brodie
9. Berry
10. Witherdan
11. Fisher
12. Morrison
12. Marshall
13. Brown
14. Hayward
15. Graham
16. Bowes
17. Ratugolea
18. Simpkin
19. Perryman
20. Florent

Didn't include rookies
This is how I'd go
Can you honestly say English is number 2?

all 4 players wer

All picks were highly rated by all clubs and all at varying stages of development. Scrim is averaging 22poss with 90% DE in 10 full games after fractured cheek, concussion, club flu, death of close family member and pre season foot op, Hes is hardly a let down, building size is difficult when still growing now 194cm & just 19...pick 7 for a reason. Some kids are grown men at 15 others much later...wait and see!

all 4 players wer

All picks were highly rated by all clubs and all at varying stages of development. Scrim is averaging 22poss with 90% DE in 10 full games after fractured cheek, concussion, club flu, death of close family member and pre season foot op, Hes is hardly a let down, building size is difficult when still growing now 194cm & just 19...pick 7 for a reason. Some kids are grown men at 15 others much later...wait and see!
I think it's fair to say none of them have lived up to expectations so far. Brodie, Ainsworth and Bowes have all shown glimpses at the top level and should all be good players in the future but they haven't yet justified being a top 10 pick in a strong draft like this. Many others have outperformed them. If the draft were redone I think all 4 of them would have slipped considerably.

I think it's fair to say none of them have lived up to expectations so far. Brodie, Ainsworth and Bowes have all shown glimpses at the top level and should all be good players in the future but they haven't yet justified being a top 10 pick in a strong draft like this. Many others have outperformed them. If the draft were redone I think all 4 of them would have slipped considerably.
Sorry I dont agree...1. McGrath, excellent. 2. Taranto, excellent, 3. McClugage, OK 4. Ainsworth OK, 5 Setterfield Knee but will be a star 6. Petrevski Seton OK. 7 Scrimshaw, interupted but has shown great signs...first tall picked, always take longer. 8 Logue, Ankle but OK beforehand, his body was developed earlier than most talls. 9. Brodie, is an inside mid and not really a forward or back so he has to break into GC mid, has developed well and must be rated OK at this stage. 10 Bowes, seen by the club as a real leader and great for local PR, valuable kid has had tagging and several roles, must be rated better than OK....Given the options the Suns had they got the best available. IMO McGrath and Taranto were ready to play, there is upside with body development for 3-10. Setters, Brodie and Scrim have huge upside...Setters is a machine, Brodie compares to Sydneys Kennedy, Scrim to Pendlebury. Take any champ, Pendlebury, Dusty, Mitchell, Bont they all took several years to develop. Werent guns in yr 1 or 2. O'Meara now starting to shine in Yr 3 is a good example. time will tell...

Sorry I dont agree...1. McGrath, excellent. 2. Taranto, excellent, 3. McClugage, OK 4. Ainsworth OK, 5 Setterfield Knee but will be a star 6. Petrevski Seton OK. 7 Scrimshaw, interupted but has shown great signs...first tall picked, always take longer. 8 Logue, Ankle but OK beforehand, his body was developed earlier than most talls. 9. Brodie, is an inside mid and not really a forward or back so he has to break into GC mid, has developed well and must be rated OK at this stage. 10 Bowes, seen by the club as a real leader and great for local PR, valuable kid has had tagging and several roles, must be rated better than OK....Given the options the Suns had they got the best available. IMO McGrath and Taranto were ready to play, there is upside with body development for 3-10. Setters, Brodie and Scrim have huge upside...Setters is a machine, Brodie compares to Sydneys Kennedy, Scrim to Pendlebury. Take any champ, Pendlebury, Dusty, Mitchell, Bont they all took several years to develop. Werent guns in yr 1 or 2. O'Meara now starting to shine in Yr 3 is a good example. time will tell...
Sorry meant to say, it depends on what your expectations are and what the needs of the team are at draft time.

Who would you have them ahead of in my top 15 I listed?

As I said I think they will be good players, but there are many in this draft that will be better.

Also, what is with your point about Taranto and Mcgrath being excellent but Mccluggage only being "OK"? There is a poll comparing these 3 very players on the polls board and Mccluggage is well and truly ahead with more votes than the other two combined. Everyone has their opinion but I'm interested to see why you think that way about Mccluggage.

For what it's worth I rate Taranto as #1 but all 3 are all going to be very good players.

Last edited:
Who would you have them ahead of in my top 15 I listed?

As I said I think they will be good players, but there are many in this draft that will be better.

Also, what is with your point about Taranto and Mcgrath being excellent but Mccluggage only being "OK"? There is a poll comparing these 3 very players on the polls board and Mccluggage is well and truly ahead of both. Everyone has their opinion but I'm interested to see why you think that way about Mccluggage.
Really good point and we could debate this one for ever...but I think these kinds of lists are always an opinion at a moment in time. You'd say this time last year McGrath was clearly no 1 as he won the rising star...this year hes been very good but remember hes played more mid and stepped up in his roles. Much easier to get noticed when you run off half back.

Ainsworth last year would also have been similar. He hit the ground running off half forward kicking some incredible goals next to Lynch and Wright in good form. Now he doest have that.

Bowes has been given more tagging and defensive roles and again doesnt get noticed for his work. He will move up into the midfield maybe next year and we will see a different story.

Brodie IMO is the type of player you can build a team around. Tough inside mid. Hes just had to build his running power and ball use...

McCluggage, McGrath and Ainsworth wont get any bigger so the value of a Taranto and Brodie IMO longer term better suits the hardness of AFL requirements. Not saying others wont be good players but Brodes has shown he can develop quickly...

All players fully developed, Id rather have him and Taranto in the mid come GF day, than anyone in your top 10, Setters will get there too.. McCluggage is all class but in time, as a mid, IMO the bigger bodies of Taranto, Setters, Brodie and Scrim will push the smaller mids aside so they need to have more strings to their bow...Ainsworth has that...hes a lethal forward.

IMO if you look at Mark Murphy, his body is taking a battering against Dangerfield, Dusty, Kennedy etc.

Buckenara described Scrim as the most talented player in that draft and given he was drafted skinny, then had injury setbacks its a longer pathway to get your GPS numbers and body up to standard. Each club drafts based on what they need.

Petr-Seton had played regular WAFL and the Blues needed a mid but AFL is a different story, another level physically so hes probably taken too much too early but arguably has more class than anyone. Even Sam PP was no surprise. AFL academy captain at 17/18yo, he had hammy or maybe calf, issues I believe, in his draft year so it pushed him back a little.

English also a good example, was drafted with the full understanding it would take time to build his body. Had his body been fully developed like McGrath, Taranto and Sam PP on draft day, he would most likely have gone pick 1. Talent and height like that dont come around every day. This time next year he might be 1 on your list.

You left out Adelaides Jordan Gallucci. He can play and like Ainsworth, playing half forward is arguably the games hardest position and trying to break into Adelaides mature side isnt easy. Gucc can do it all but brings another thing...leadership. Co Vic Metro Captain with McGrath, he is up there.

..IMO I still reckon the clubs including GC got it pretty well right depending on what their options were and what they needed at the time...After 3-4 years in the system, all bodies developed, with the exception of English and maybe Marshall (most underdeveloped at the draft) I wouldnt be surprised if your ranking was similar as the draft order. Interesting subject right?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back