Team Mgmt. Best 22 - 2019 edition

Potentially a lot to look forward to in the 2019 season and a lot of deserving players will be fighting to make it into our hypothetical best 22 (especially in defence).

Assuming Goddard is longer on our list and ignoring any rumoured trade targets...

Gleeson Hurley Francis
Mckenna Ambrose Saad
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Smith Daniher McDonald-Tipungwuti
Fantasia Hooker Stringer

Bellchambers Myers Zerrett

Parish Langford Begley Laverne

Unlucky: Guelfi, Baguley, Stewart, Mutch, Ridley, Redman, Brown, McKernan, Dea, Clarke McNeice

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Legend Lucas

Debutant
Sep 14, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Your team is close Hooker to CHB and Mckernan to full forward and Redman into the team as well instead of Begley. Would also like to see Ridley star playing senior footy.
These depth players we keep playing with no upside need to start making way and being just back up like Dea,Brown,Baguely and even Myers

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Desperately need a high class mid - Beams would be great, Wallis pretty decent also. Lets hope we can get one of them.
Plenty of talent in this 22;-

Francis Hurley McGrath
McKenna Hooker Saad
Zakka Beams/Wallis Parish
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Stringer McKernan Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Z.Merrett

Langford Redman Gleeson Begley

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Gleeson Hooker Saad
McKenna Hurley Francis
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Walla Stringer Stewart
T-Bell Zerrett Myers
Langford Parish Redman Guelfi

Emg: Laverde Brown McNeice McKernan

This side obviously changes depending trade week but this is how id pick it right now.
Gleeson is back in defence, his ability to swith on talls and smalls is vital. Francis, Hooker and Hurley provide the muscle, Saad and McKenna the sizzle.

The midfield, if we dont reinforce it over trade week, almost picks itself. Would love to see Andy push further up the ground and use his power running.

Forward is potentially uncontentious except for the inclusion of Stewart. But Stewart looked fantastic with two other talls besides him and he will in stringer and Daniher, so he can resume his lead up, 3rd tall role. The rest of the forwards are obvious.

Its the bench that had me working hard. The mix i have is a balanced mix yhat covers all sorts of positions and roles. Langford picks himself on current form and despite some peoples view so does Parish. The final two spots came down to a choice of McNeice, Begley, Redman, Guelfi, Laverde, Dea and Baguley.

Unfortunately, i do not think that we can carry Laverde, Begley (who will also still be getting back from his ACL), Langford and Myers in the same team with the former two still working on their midfield craft- the forward line is stacked already. Guelfis flexibility gives him the tick wi th his ability to play in all three zones of the ground. McNeice can count himself very stiff, but I believe Redman will beat him lut by round and he provides some run and ball use from defence and even the wing.

Finally, i was a dea and Baguley dlubter to start the year nut they have been fantastic. However i feel Dea misses with our full compliment and Bags will be 33 from memory and our forward line can function without him, although if our pressure drops i50 he will be th e first name coming back in.

Potentially a lot to look forward to in the 2019 season and a lot of deserving players will be fighting to make it into our hypothetical best 22 (especially in defence).

Assuming Goddard is longer on our list and ignoring any rumoured trade targets...

Gleeson Hurley Francis
Mckenna Ambrose Saad
Smith Daniher McDonald-Tipungwuti
Fantasia Hooker Stringer

Bellchambers Myers Zerrett

Parish Langford Begley Guelfi

Unlucky: Baguley, Stewart, Mutch, Ridley, Redman, Brown, McKernan, Dea, Clarke McNeice

Thoughts?
You left out Shiel.

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
B: Gleason - Hooker - Francis
HB: Saad - Hurley - McKenna
C: McGrath - Heppell - Zaharakis
HF: Smith - Daniher - Stringer
F: Fantasia - McKernan - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers - Langford - Merrett
I/C: Parish - Myers - Laverde - Redman

EMG: Guelfi - Begley - Ridley - Clarke

B: Gleeson - Hooker - Francis
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
F: Fantasia - Stewart - McDonald-Tipungwuti
I/C: Parish - Myers - Begley - Redman

Tried to find a place for Ridley, but couldn't.

B Gleeson - Hooker - Francis
HB Saad - Hurley - McKenna
C Merrett - Heppell - McGrath
HF Fantasia - Stringer - Parish
F Baguley - Daniher - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R Bellchambers - Smith - Langford
Int. Myers - Redman - Zaharakis - Guelfi

Redman a straight swap for Goddard for mine. If Goddard decides to play on than it will be interesting to see if the coaches hold Redman out for Goddard.

If we happen to recruit a man named Dylan Shiel swap him in for Guelfi... Also that Guelfi spot is wide open. Could really go to anyone who has a big preseason.

Could also have McKernan/Stewart/Brown in for Guelfi if we want a taller forward line.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Gleeson Hooker Saad
McKenna Hurley Francis
Smith Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Tippa McKernan Baguley
T-Bell Zerrett Myers
Langford Parish Redman McGrath

Emg: Guelfi, Brown, Begley, Ambrose

Backline: 2 smalls, 1 medium and 3 talls. The versatility of Gleeson, Francis and Hurley will make this work and excel against nearly all opponents. If we are genuinely facing 3 lightning quick small forwards we may have issues but I think with the talent out there I'd back it in. On occasions there may not be a real matchup for Hooker so will occasionally swing forward. I haven't included Goddard.
Challengers for a spot: Ambrose, Brown, Ridley

Midfield: All the names you'd expect and the guys we are playing now + possibly Redman if he swings through there. Stringer will spend some time in there and some time up forward. Recruits may bolster this area. We actually have a reasonable amount of big bodies in there now considering where we started the year, Langford will only continue to improve.
Challengers for a spot: Mutch, Clarke, Mynott (+ Begley, Laverde if you count them as mids)

Forward: I've gone with the Daniher/McKernan strategy. I like it because it gives us 2 guys that can give us chopouts in the ruck expecting McKernan to be the main one. McKernan as that contested marking type will complement Daniher well who want to be leading up the ground to do his best work bombing long goals. Other guys pick themselves besides Baguley who has done enough to start there. I have a lot of faith in Begley but since he's coming back from a knee I think it will take him some time to regain his spot. I legit think this forward line would be epic at full strength. On the other hand I think it falls away quickly after we get injuries, every player named is so much better than their replacements except Baguley/McKernan.
Challengers for a spot: Begley, Guelfi, Laverde, Brown, Stewart

Despite what people may say, our list looks pretty solid for me with decent depth in most positions. Sure we'd love some more top end talent but who wouldn't. Another gun mid would be the key one. Small/medium forward depth seems like a bit of a weakness for us to shore up over the next year or 2 + some depth in the ruck department perhaps.

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
Gleeson Hooker Saad
McKenna Hurley Francis
Smith Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Tippa McKernan Baguley
T-Bell Zerrett Myers
Langford Parish Redman McGrath

Emg: Guelfi, Brown, Begley, Ambrose

Backline: 2 smalls, 1 medium and 3 talls. The versatility of Gleeson, Francis and Hurley will make this work and excel against nearly all opponents. If we are genuinely facing 3 lightning quick small forwards we may have issues but I think with the talent out there I'd back it in. On occasions there may not be a real matchup for Hooker so will occasionally swing forward. I haven't included Goddard.
Challengers for a spot: Ambrose, Brown, Ridley

Midfield: All the names you'd expect and the guys we are playing now + possibly Redman if he swings through there. Stringer will spend some time in there and some time up forward. Recruits may bolster this area. We actually have a reasonable amount of big bodies in there now considering where we started the year, Langford will only continue to improve.
Challengers for a spot: Mutch, Clarke, Mynott (+ Begley, Laverde if you count them as mids)

Forward: I've gone with the Daniher/McKernan strategy. I like it because it gives us 2 guys that can give us chopouts in the ruck expecting McKernan to be the main one. McKernan as that contested marking type will complement Daniher well who want to be leading up the ground to do his best work bombing long goals. Other guys pick themselves besides Baguley who has done enough to start there. I have a lot of faith in Begley but since he's coming back from a knee I think it will take him some time to regain his spot. I legit think this forward line would be epic at full strength. On the other hand I think it falls away quickly after we get injuries, every player named is so much better than their replacements except Baguley/McKernan.
Challengers for a spot: Begley, Guelfi, Laverde, Brown, Stewart

Despite what people may say, our list looks pretty solid for me with decent depth in most positions. Sure we'd love some more top end talent but who wouldn't. Another gun mid would be the key one. Small/medium forward depth seems like a bit of a weakness for us to shore up over the next year or 2 + some depth in the ruck department perhaps.
I think this is about bang on

Yes Ambrose has struggled through injury but even then I don't believe he's even close to justifying a spot in the best 22 (as per OP). Hooker will need to stay down back.

Should offer Mitch Brown a part-time coaching role to teach Daniher, Hooker and McKernan how to ******* kick properly.

I'll go through line by line with the 2018 team:

Defence Best
FB: Gleeson, Hurley, Saad
HB: McGrath, Francis, McKenna

Bench:

Francis' emergence means that there's again no need for Hooker to play in defence and can shift forward as a tall. Gleeson should hopefully go back to his late 2017 form. I think having McGrath, Saad and McKenna running from the same backline is workable from a defensive point of view but gives a very handy speed advantage, plus they're all great users of the ball. Very athletic defensive line.

Challenging: Ridley is probably closest in contention to displacing somebody from the side.

Depth: Ambrose, Brown

And then some: BZT showing great signs but ultimately needs another season in the VFL. No need to rush him into a senior spot.

Midfield Best

C: Smith, Langford, Zaharakis
Foll: Bellchambers, Heppell, Z. Merrett

Bench: Myers, Parish, Guelfi

Heppell and Zach need no explanation, neither does Smith to be honest. Parish and Langford have both taken their games to another level this year and Bellchambers is really our only rucking option. Zaharakis does his best work when the team around him is firing, so would expect him to maintain his form into next season. I think this group is our best selection of midfielders at the moment. Some will lament the size of Parish, Zaha and Zerrett but all three pull their weight at the stoppages and I think they all use the ball quite well. I hope Langford can learn to use his body a bit more for next year. Myers on the bench; I think he'll start to be pushed out of the team this year. Guelfi's effort has been great, even if his skills have let him down at times, so I'd love to see him start where he left off next year.

Challenging: Laverde could very well force himself in the best team between now and round 1, but for now he's on the outer. Redman was very unlucky to sustain the injury when he did, and he'll be right in the conversation as well from pre-season.

Depth: Colyer, Leuenberger

And then some: Many will have Clarke and Mutch challenging for spots earlier, I'd like to see them improve their disposal a bit before than happens so I don't think they'll be pushing for spots early. Trent Mynott has good potential, but he's well off the mark at the moment

Forward Best
HF: Fantasia, Daniher, Begley
FF: Tippa, Hooker, Stringer

Bench: Baguley

Daniher hopefully walks straight back in and let's hope Fantasia stays fit for the whole season. Hooker helps the team more by providing a dangerous target close to goal than any other tall, so I'd like to see him forward now that we need him less down back. Begley was best 22 at the start of the year, I'm very optimistically hoping that he's going to be able to complete the full pre-season and get back to where he was. Baguley, like Myers, will probably find it hard to keep his spot in the team as the year goes on but for now he is where he is.

Challenging: Hopefully Stewarts' time in the VFL has made him a better all-round forward, but he's going to find it hard to push back into the team, unless we decide to change the dynamic a bit and move Hooker back.

Depth:
McKernan, Brown

And then some:
Houlihan still a long way from debut, I feel.

Retired/Delisted
Goddard
J Merrett
Green
Hartley
Dea

Free Agency:
Depth of ready-made midfielders, especially inside midfielders, is pretty thin so hopefully we can snare somebody through free agency. A medium forward as depth, seeing as Laverde is now being prepped as a mid, probably also wouldn't go astray.

Draft:
Another midfielder draft for us please.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
B: Gleeson - Hurley - Francis
HB: Saad - Hooker - McKenna
C: McGrath - Smith - Parish
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Tipungwuti
F: Baguley - McKernan - Stringer
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Merrett
I: Zaharakis - Langford

That’ll do structurally. Last two spots on form: Begley - Clarke - Colyer - Goddard - Green - Guelfi - Laverde - Mutch - Myers.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
FB: Francis - Hooker - Redman
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
C: Merrett - Smith - Parish
HF: Tipp - Daniher - Fantasia
FF: Stringer - McKernan - Begley
FOLL: Bellchambers - Heppell - Myers

INT: Gleeson - Zaharakis - Langford - McGrath

A little bit big for my liking. Would like to play Guelfi too.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
B: Gleason - Hooker - Francis
HB: Saad - Hurley - McKenna
F: Fantasia - McKernan - McDonald-Tipungwuti
I/C: Parish - Myers - Laverde - Redman

EMG: Guelfi - Begley - Ridley - Clarke
X2

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
FB: Saad - Hooker - Gleeson
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Francis
C: Zaharakis - Heppell - McGrath
HF: Smith - Daniher - Fantasia
FF: Walla - Mckernan - Stringer
IC: Redman - Parish - Myers - Guelfi

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
B: McKenna Hurley Gleeson
HB: Saad Hooker Francis
C: Gaff Shiel Zaharakis
HF: Smith Daniher Fantasia
F: McDonald-Tipungwuti Lynch Stringer
Foll: Bellchambers Heppell Merrett
Int: Langford McGrath Redman Parish

B: McKenna Hurley Gleeson
HB: Saad Hooker Francis
C: Gaff Shiel Zaharakis
HF: Smith Daniher Fantasia
F: McDonald-Tipungwuti Lynch Stringer
Foll: Bellchambers Heppell Merrett
Int: Langford McGrath Redman Parish
That forward line is something else.

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think its time for a Modern Essendon.

FB: Saad - Ambrose - Francis
HB: McKenna - Hooker - Ridley
C: Parish - Heppell - McGrath
HF: Langford - Laverde - Fantasia
FF: Walla - Daniher - Stringer
R: Bellchambers - Smith - Merrett ** Shiel comes in and we shuffle a few around
IC: Redman - Zaharakis - Begley - Guelfi

Hurley makes way for Francis and Ridley who are better kicks and can mark. Might lose out on the competitive aspect but Ambrose and Hooker make up for it and I reckon we can get some serious drive from the back half. I'm using him as trade bait to get Dylan Shiel

I've got Laverde forward doing a Caddy and having a breakout year. More of hope than anything else.

Myers misses out though we still need a bigger body in there. Depth. I'm hoping Langford, Laverde and Stringer rotate through.

Would like to fit in McKernan to give Bellchambers a rest but I reckon we do a Richmond and ruck with a medium.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
FB: Saad - Hooker - Gleeson
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Francis
C: Zaharakis - Heppell - McGrath
HF: Smith - Daniher - Fantasia
FF: Walla - Mckernan - Stringer
IC: Redman - Parish - Myers - Guelfi
Pretty much this for me except I'd switch Saad with Francis.
Also Guelfi and Myers are under the microscope for me , close to going with Begley and one of Mutch or Ridley.
Otherwise spot on for mine.

Back