Adrian Dodoro

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheedy held the reigns firmly until he left, plus it's not Dodos fault we lost top liners like Ryder, Carlisle and Hibberd. Under performed in a few drafts, but he's drafted a bundle of AA quality players recently, he can't make them deliver though.
Melksham has been good this year too.

It’s a bit misleading looking at the last 14 years without context. You need to consider the unique challenges he faced.

Dodoro’s effort since 2000 was to rebuild a list post Sheedy. That era was to bear fruit in that period from around 2011 onwards however we all know what happened in 2012 and the subsequent distractions throughout 2012-6, turmoil and in part breaking away of that group towards 2015-6.

Whilst sort of pointless, add back Ryder, Hibberd, Carslile to that side.

Then you need to consider Dodoro had to work with many lost draft picks due to penalties. He lost the clubs first and second round picks in 2013 and the first rounder in 2014.. This as a result took away his ability to trade players in and out of the club.. So with the loss of three experienced and valuable players, the loss of crucial picks and ability to trade, he has really been fighting with an arm behind his back.... despite the limitations he’s made the most of his selections.

2013 - Merritt (26), Fantasia (55), Ambrose (rookie draft). Brilliant haul with limited low picks
2014 - Langford, Laverde, Mc Kernan (rookie) and Mc Kenna (rookie). A great haul. Laverde will be a very good player once / if can get past injuries.
2015 - Parish, Francis, Redman, Tippa (rookie). All of these are on track for good - great careers.
2016 - Mc Grath, Ridley, Draper (rookie). Draper young tuck developing well, Ridley very talented but physically raw still.

Then he’s trading well which goes without saying....

He has done a very good job in a general sense since 2013 if you Look at it. Any list manage makes the odd blue but Dodoro has done very well.

All in all you can see why he’s highly respected. Under the circumstances he’s doing a great job. This current Essendon list is without doubt the most promising since that 2000 period.

Everything points to a strong era as long as current development continues to plan (1) and another strong midfielder is traded in over the next two years (2) as key milestones.
You got an end of 1st round back in 14 so the many lost draft picks ended up at 2. If that is his get out of jail free card then he is a very lucky man.

How many years has this list been the most promising? Finishing 11th is a big fail.

You got an end of 1st round back in 14 so the many lost draft picks ended up at 2. If that is his get out of jail free card then he is a very lucky man.

How many years has this list been the most promising? Finishing 11th is a big fail.

Agreed.

Relevance is off the charts though. I don't even know list managers from other teams. Dodo gets a thread about him at least 4 times a year. People just can't stop talking about him!

Agreed.

Relevance is off the charts though. I don't even know list managers from other teams. Dodo gets a thread about him at least 4 times a year. People just can't stop talking about him!
Most are amazed he still has a job. So long in the role with nothing to show for it. It’s a talking point.

Most are amazed he still has a job. So long in the role with nothing to show for it. It’s a talking point.

I'm amazed to two get linked this strongly. Possibly an indication of how many BigFooty posters play FIFA and think AFL works just like a video game simulation.

The annual trade talk season where the usual flogs talk about Dodoro.

Yawn

Year after year after year

It's exactly the same

If a player wants to leave Essendon - he gets a deal done, despite everybody saying he won't.

If we get a player to come to Essendon - he gets a deal done, despite everybody saying he won't.

It'll be the same this year. Just like Stringer last year. There'll be a billion words written about how something isn't going to happen, and then it'll happen just like it was always going to.

Interesting thread.
Looked a bit full of himself back in 2014 at the draft table when Langford and Laverde fell into his lap. Looks like the 17 other clubs knew what they were doing.
Not many good rookies or late picks getting nailed recently.
Also think the 2015 draft is looking really poor given the selections available. Parish has underwhelmed despite showing promise and although Francis played a great game on the weekend overall is still looking shaky for a top ten pick. Then two failed picks in the second round, it really should have been a draft to set them up, it hasn't.
I also think McGrath is a very ordinary number 1 pick, a 178cm small defender, there's not the upside you'd like for a number 1 pick and will never reach A grade status. Should have selected McCluggage.

Dodoro as a recruiter peaked from 07-10 drafts but has been ordinary since with a few hits in between, Z.Merrett and Fantasia being the exceptions.

The drug scandal forced players out but with the picks they got back in Dodoro has failed to capitalize on and it's going to hurt Essendon now and into the future.

Interesting thread.
Looked a bit full of himself back in 2014 at the draft table when Langford and Laverde fell into his lap. Looks like the 17 other clubs knew what they were doing.
Also think the 2015 draft is looking really poor given the selections available. Parish has underwhelmed despite showing promise and although Francis played a great game on the weekend overall is still looking shaky for a top ten pick. Then two failed picks in the second round, it really should have been a draft to set them up, it hasn't.
I also think McGrath is a very ordinary number 1 pick, a 178cm small defender, there's not the upside you'd like for a number 1 pick and will never reach A grade status. Should have selected McCluggage.

Dodoro as a recruiter peaked from 07-10 drafts but has been ordinary since with a few hits in between, Z.Merrett and Fantasia being the exceptions.

The drug scandal forced players out but with the picks they got back in Dodoro has failed to capitalize on and it's going to hurt Essendon now and into the future.
lol

Interesting thread.

Wow.... so lets get this straight.

A 3rd year midfielder (that your beloved pies went HARD at last year) that has played over 50 games already means they are underwhelming.
A third year 194cm tall defender who suffered heavy mental health issues last year looks shaky
McGrath is a waste of pick 1 despite winning the rising star
Langford has been lauded for his form from plenty of external clinics but he should have known better than to pick him.
Dodoro turned losing Crameri into Zach Merrett and Gumbleton into Orazio Fantasia but didnt capitalise on players lost during the saga...
Dodoro has failed as a recruiter despite luring Stringer, Cooney (albeit late in his career), Smith (whom most people denounced the price he laid), Saad, picked McKenna fore free out of Ireland and McNeice as a cat b rookie,

And we have a stable of young talent blooded this year but ASAGA has doomed us.

Reducto ad Absurdum

Dodoro isnt perfect, he has a part to play on our finals win drought, and he has had to shake a well earnt tag of being hard to deal with which he did last year but give it a spell.

Definately has runs on the board but has burnt a lot of bridges in the past.

Biggest issue is that he doesn’t trade in good faith, always has to have a “win” or no deal. Can tell you he has pissed off a lot of good people over the years.

Before you jump in and say “but that’s his job” think about Stephen Wells and Graham Wright. Both highly respected with the way they go about negotiating....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest issue is that he doesn’t trade in good faith, always has to have a “win” or no deal. Can tell you he has pissed off a lot of good people over the years.

Before you jump in and say “but that’s his job” think about Stephen Wells and Graham Wright. Both highly respected with the way they go about negotiating....

Dosen't trade in good faith? all of Ryder,Hibberd,Melksham went for unders and got to their perferd club.

Clubs were using the saga to try and get Essendons best players with low ball offers so you can understand Dodoro being stubborn.

Last edited:

Garbage. Absolute myth.

He's been in charge of this stuff since Sheedy left, always gets deals done, and has a very good relationship with others in the league.

Since Sheedy left the following players have wanted out and he's got a trade deal for all of them - often with little coming back our way:

Andrew Lovett
Josh Jenkins
Angus Monfries
Stewart Crameri
Scott Gumbleton
Paddy Ryder
Jake Melksham
Jon Giles
Jake Carlisle
Michael Hibberd

The following wanted in and he got them done:

Brent Prismall
Mark Williams
Paul Chapman
Adam Cooney
James Stewart
Jake Stringer
Adam Saad
Devon Smith

You can debate his player selection, but to say he is bad at doing a deal - let along calling it "his biggest issue" (!) - is absolute horseshit. He always gets a deal done and gets players to their #1 destination.

There is one deal that didn't get done - Josh Caddy. Gold Coast are appalling at trading - we offered them Cale Hooker plus our first round pick. They refused to discuss all trade week, then one hour before the deadline got on the phone and demanded Michael Hurley in a straight swap. Dodoro rightly told them to get stuffed.

"Dodoro is hard to deal with" is lazy, ignorant wank copy, trotted out by anti-Essendon idiots. When it comes to trading he has more runs on the board than anybody.

Like i said above, his reputation as being hard to deal with is well earned over the early part of his career. I have no doubts part of that was cause he worked with Sheeds for so long who always thought a bit differently to others and overvalued 'his guys'.

But the last few years i reckon he has tried to shake that off.
Hibberd and Melksham found their way to melbourne pretty quick.
He didnt mick around with GWS or GCS last year for Smith and Saad and offered a fair offer for Stringer considering how hard the dogs trashed his value.

Even with Carlisle everyone said he played hardball but before the Hawks got involved the saints were offering like pick 26. He was entitled to tell them where to shove that offer.

The Ryder one dragged on but remember the bombers enquired about friggin Andrew Moore and Port said no.
Pick 17 and 37, which took forever to talk port around to, looks a bargain for Port now.

He has burnt a few bridges for sure (think Scott West for example) but he has gone a way to amending that in the last few years.

Wow.... so lets get this straight.

OK, I sensed we saw things a little differently from the outset.

A 3rd year midfielder (that your beloved pies went HARD at last year) that has played over 50 games already means they are underwhelming.

It is a fact Parish has played 50 games and is into his third year but he was dropped this year and his development has been disappointing. It's not certain he will be the player you hoped, thus I said it's looking shaky.

A third year 194cm tall defender who suffered heavy mental health issues last year looks shaky

I watched the game on Friday night. Thought Francis was fantastic.
But one good game with 3 years on an AFL list is shaky for a top ten pick. I think last Friday night has gone some way into vindicating the selection, whether it will be vindicated remains to be seen. Still looks shaky for mine.

McGrath is a waste of pick 1 despite winning the rising star

I never said a wasted pick, he'll still be a good player. Just he won't be the gun you'd like for the number 1 pick and I'm certain the lack of upside compared to others means he won't be the best player in his draft. That is my personal opinion, you may see it differently, pretty sure I'll be right with my assessment of McGrath now though.

Langford has been lauded for his form from plenty of external clinics but he should have known better than to pick him.

Langford has been ok, a C grader. Laverde looks a bust. Nothing after that. A shocking return!

Dodoro turned losing Crameri into Zach Merrett and Gumbleton into Orazio Fantasia but didnt capitalise on players lost during the saga...

You got a great return for Crameri although Merrett is not in the elite category of midfielders for mine. An outside accumulator and soft.

What were Dodoro's fails though? Ryder you he went and got Langford and Cooney, a big fail.
Carlisle he went and got Parish and a second I believe that didn't come on, was it Morgan? Could turn out good but your window was now.

Hibberd and Melksham he seemingly didn't bring in a return from those trades either. You neglect to mention those failures on Dodoro's resume.

Dodoro has failed as a recruiter despite luring Stringer, Cooney (albeit late in his career), Smith (whom most people denounced the price he laid), Saad, picked McKenna fore free out of Ireland and McNeice as a cat b rookie,

A lot of these players were established although McKenna looks a good player. I think Stringer was a bad choice to be honest and don't think you even needed him with McKernan, Brown and Stewart playing similar roles up forward. Cooney, lol.

And we have a stable of young talent blooded this year but ASAGA has doomed us.

It's ASADA and yes it's really gutted your list. Think you would have been right up there if not for the drugs scandal, as I said, Dodoro peaked from 07-10. The competition has been weak with Dogs and Richmond flagging, with the list Essendon were building they should have been competing at the very least. It's absolutely gutted Essendon.

Reducto ad Absurdum

I think I'm being fairer than you in my postings.

Dodoro isnt perfect, he has a part to play on our finals win drought, and he has had to shake a well earnt tag of being hard to deal with which he did last year but give it a spell.

Yes, but you seem to think he's been perfect in your response? If he is imperfect then you tell me where has he failed? As I said, one of the best recruiters from 07-10 but since then ordinary. No finals win since 2004 is a very damming fact.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

Kyle Langford has been excellent since coming back into the side this season and has tons of scope for improvement .

How is Redman a fail? Looked an excellent player until injury this year .

No success with late draft selections? Gleeson, Fantasia, McKenna, Ambrose, Tippungwuti and Guelfi seems like a better than average haul compared to other clubs .

Don't have to be McGrath fan but I think many people underrate him as they haven't seen his athleticism (kid has serious wheels) and clean hands in tight.

We traded out of the 2017 draft so it's hard to judge that but Dodoro's 2016 haul of McGrath, Ridley and Begley have all shown excellent signs at AFL level whilst Draper hasn't put a foot wrong for a developing ruckman in the VFL.

Dodoro also traded in Stringer, Saad and Smith whilst maintaining a presence in the first and second rounds of this year's draft.

OK, I sensed we saw things a little differently from the outset.

It is a fact Parish has played 50 games and is into his third year but he was dropped this year and his development has been disappointing. It's not certain he will be the player you hoped, thus I said it's looking shaky.

I watched the game on Friday night. Thought Francis was fantastic.
But one good game with 3 years on an AFL list is shaky for a top ten pick. I think last night has gone some way into vindicating the selection, whether it will be vindicated remains to be seen. Still looks shaky for mine.

I never said a wasted pick, he'll still be a good player. Just he won't be the gun you'd like for the number 1 pick and I'm certain the lack of upside compared to others means he won't be the best player in his draft. That is my personal opinion, you may see it differently, pretty sure I'll be right with my assessment of McGrath now though.

Langford has been ok, a C grader. Laverde looks a bust. Nothing after that. A shocking return!

You got a great return for Crameri although Merrett is not in the elite category of midfielders for mine. An outside accumulator and soft.

What were Dodoro's fails though? Ryder you he went and got Langford and Cooney, a big fail.
Carlisle he went and got Parish and a second I believe that didn't come on, was it Morgan? Could turn out good but your window was now.

Hibberd and Melksham he seemingly didn't bring in a return from those trades either. You neglect to mention those failures on Dodoro's resume.

A lot of these players were established although McKenna looks a good player. I think Stringer was a bad choice to be honest and don't think you even needed him with McKernan, Brown and Stewart playing similar roles up forward. Cooney, lol.

It's ASADA and yes it's really gutted your list. Think you would have been right up there if not for the drugs scandal, as I said, Dodoro peaked from 07-10. The competition has been weak with Dogs and Richmond flagging, with the list Essendon were building they should have been competing at the very least. It's absolutely gutted Essendon.

I think I'm being fairer than you in my postings.

Yes, but you seem to think he's been perfect in your response? If he is imperfect then you tell me where has he failed? As I said, one of the best recruiters from 07-10 but since then ordinary. No finals win since 2004 is a very damming fact.
It might be an essendon thing, but ASAGA is the term we give to the ASADA saga. It wasnt mistake.

Revisionist history is easy, but in reality i am well aware of Dodoros faults
The reputation he earnt at the start of his career cost us the chance to recruit experienced players from other clubs right from about 2004-10 as clubs and agents persuaded players move to essendon would be too hard.

He has an affinity for picking players and convincing the coach to convert him to a position of need. Further, Laycock Gumbleton, Kepler Bradley, James Davies, Shane Harvey were first round busts. Recruiting players like Prismall, Coles, Giles and Mal Michael blew up in his face as well.

I have no problem with you disagreeing with the possible upside of essendon players.
What is ridiculous in my mind is that you point to a third year midfielder who has played more games than mosr would at his age and been dropped ONCE on his career (as an aside how many times are most 3rd year players dropped in their first few years?) and use that as an example Dodoros faults.

That picking a player widely lauded as a top 10 player in his draft who had subsequent mental health issues and plays KPD, a position that historically takes time to learn in, is somehow a bad reflection on dDodoro due to him not playing a lot.

I can point to heaps more examples, but what frustrates me is that you reduce these young guys to a byline to prove a point that has little to do with Dodoro and more to do with coaching and conditioning.

And one last thing, a fact check if you will.
The picks we got for Hibberd and Melksham we used on Redman and Josh Begley. Begley was in our r1 team until he did his knee and Redman had 27 touched off half back in his first game of the year before hurting his elbow. Hardly a poor return.

And you seem to conveniently gloss over Fantasia even when i mentioned him in terms of making the most of picks for players, but happy to reduce an AA midfielder in Merrett to an soft outside player.

Like i said Reducto ad absurdum.

Last edited:
Love his work. Like last year nailed trade week.all that was missing was a inside mid of any sort..
First pick oh a half forward
Next pick a half back flanker.
Last pick aaaaa half forward flanker.
Rookie draft yup you got it a outside mid.

Parish.francis. yuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back