What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? Part 2

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Does anyone else think the channel 9 footy show logo looks like a man about to throw the ball a la rugby league?

It's based off this famous photo of Jack Dyer

250px-Jack_Dyer.jpg

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
A team being so mediocre it takes them a decade to reach the finals again isn't news.

I wouldn't be proud of it taking front and centre during the 6pm.

No need to worry about this, it's going to take you much longer than a decade to make the finals again and by then I don't think anyone will care enough to put it front and centre on the 6pm news. Chin up.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That Richmond's dominance was only revealed during the finals last year means that other teams haven't had a full two seasons to deconstruct their game plan.

And...

No strong team except Geelong has tried to deconstruct their game plan this year, so far. Why?

And...

Next year may be the first time we see a number of teams of quality employ tactics to bring down the Tigers.

In short, there hasn't been a targeted attempt this year by all other teams to deconstruct the Tigers. I would have liked to have seen more tactical experiments.

weetert

All Australian
Jul 4, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
That Adelaide's forward line isn't to blame as much as the midfield for the GF loss. People love paying out Tex, JJ etc. for the loss, but the midfield's use of the ball was embarrassing. Almost every f50 entry was kicked onto the head of the tall forwards allowing rance etc to pick the ball off with ease. The only reason more heat isn't applied to the mids is because... "muh disposals."

That Richmond's dominance was only revealed during the finals last year means that other teams haven't had a full two seasons to deconstruct their game plan.

And...

No strong team except Geelong has tried to deconstruct their game plan this year, so far. Why?

And...

Next year may be the first time we see a number of teams of quality employ tactics to bring down the Tigers.

In short, there hasn't been a targeted attempt this year by all other teams to deconstruct the Tigers. I would have liked to have seen more tactical experiments.

Yeah I am sure only 1 team has tried to work out how to beat the tigers. :rolleyes:

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

And...

And...

Haha what? A full time AFL coaching staff needs 2 years to deconstruct a teams game plan?
And noone apart from Geelong has tried to deconstruct it, so in effect no one has given themselves the best chance of winning a game of footy?
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, I think that's just plain wrong.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haha what? A full time AFL coaching staff needs 2 years to deconstruct a teams game plan?
And noone apart from Geelong has tried to deconstruct it, so in effect no one has given themselves the best chance of winning a game of footy?
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, I think that's just plain wrong.

I think most teams have backed themselves to beat the Tigers, and fallen short.

If we face the same Richmond next year, I think we will see teams adapting their game more to unsettle the Tigers than this year.

Often it take a preseason for all the teams to follow the leader and unsettle them.

Last edited:

weetert

All Australian
Jul 4, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

And...

They've lost four games. Do you think that in those games, the winning side didn't employ tactics to bring them down? Or was it merely the effect of taking richmond away from their cheat ground?

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They've lost four games. Do you think that in those games, the winning side didn't employ tactics to bring them down? Or was it merely the effect of taking richmond away from their cheat ground?

Do i have do chose one of those options?
No?
thanks

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I love Free Agency.
And its a myth that bottom clubs cant rebuild with FA.
Richmond was awful in 2010-2013 when FA and the 2 new teams came in and we still managed to attract oppo players and obviously rise up the ladder.

weetert

All Australian
Jul 4, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I love Free Agency.
Richmond was awful in 2010-2013 when FA and the 2 new teams came in and we still managed to attract oppo players and obviously rise up the ladder.

Err.. Would've Gold Coast been able to attract those free agents? or St. Kilda? (if they were in the same position)

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Err.. Would've Gold Coast been able to attract those free agents? or St. Kilda? (if they were in the same position)
It wasnt like we attracted stars through FA. Thats another myth about FA.
We got Chris Knights (injury plauged but was apparently massive in turing around our culture and setting standards with Ivan Maric) & we got Troy Chaplin..not a star but a solid player that helped develop Rance.

weetert

All Australian
Jul 4, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It wasnt like we attracted stars through FA. Thats another myth about FA.
We got Chris Knights (injury plauged but was apparently massive in turing around our culture and setting standards with Ivan Maric) & we got Troy Chaplin..not a star but a solid player that helped develop Rance.

Fair. The point I was making was that FA will also favour big clubs with big supporter bases. If a player could choose between NORF and richmond (say both clubs are struggling and the contract offer is similar), the player would choose Richmond more often than not.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
If anything, Josh Jenkins is underrated. The crap he cops for the 'Joe the Goose' goals from the square aren't the sign of a lazy or fortunate player. They are the result of the work rate and athleticism of a 200cm bloke who has enough gas in the tank to work and up back better than his opponent. As the '2nd' tall forward is one of the better and more reliable ones in the league.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I love Free Agency.
The concern isn't that bottom clubs cannot attract free agents, but that small clubs cannot attract them.
How many quality free agents is GC going to get. They have to go to the draft, get someone good, who then leaves via FA for Hawks or Pies. Rinse, repeat.
Free agency is a meal, prepared by small clubs, and dined on by big ones.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love Free Agency. And its a myth that bottom clubs cant rebuild with FA. Richmond was awful in 2010-2013 when FA and the 2 new teams came in and we still managed to attract oppo players and obviously rise up the ladder.

Obvious refutation is you are not a "bottom" club, even when you weren't in finals, by virtue of the big 4 nature of your club in melbourne. So even during your lower periods your membership numbers doubled straggler teams, meaning you could pump funds into the footy department to be attractive to oppo players.

Pumpernickel

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2015
Ready to be grilled and smacked with beetroot dip.
AFL Club
Geelong
The All Australian Team is the stupidest, named and most media driven, hyped up,make believe concept backed by the AFL.
Its a gap filling, opinion based fictional team that gets supporters and media experts knickers in a knot. The players themselves named in squad and team will roll out the media and mention word like an honor and privilege to be named. Apart from the players named and their managers who would receive a nice boost of $$$, i couldn't give a fat rats tossbag who is in the team. Same goes for the Coleman medal, lets celebrate who has kicked the most goals for the year when all we hear most players and people involved is how its not about who kicks the goals its about the processes involved in scoring and how we go about it.
We all love this game but we fall for this media driven crap and drivel every year.

Jupiter

Rookie
Aug 23, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
5 year rebuilds are footy's version of fools gold

creates a culture of complacency failure and excuses. Nothing dumber than a club announcing one to the whole world.
Amazes me clubs, punters and the media that get sucked in with this questionable logic

Back