THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? šŸ˜¢

Remove this Banner Ad

This appointment was peak Koch we are a club that creates successful people and elevates careers because people come for us for the best so then he was busy applying that we could do that everywhere business.. football.. entertainment. Turns out we are far from it.

This appointment was peak Koch we are a club that creates successful people and elevates careers because people come for us for the best so then he was busy applying that we could do that everywhere business.. football.. entertainment. Turns out we are far from it.

You know, right now I'd settle for either of those things. We've had neither for the majority of the season.

On elected boards I think a certain percentage stand for re-election every year, for much the reason you outline. Isn't our board though largely controlled by the SANFL and AFL? They wouldn't welcome footy types coming in with their ignorance and obsession with kicking goals.
In a club article about the Thiele re-election it mentioned that he and Fiacchi are the two member elects. The other seven (including the Chairman) aren't, I guess. So is there any kind of mandatory turnover policy there for those board positions? If now how do we expect the board to ever be challenged or held accountable?

The re-signing of Hinkley demonstrates to me that the board is comfortable with the status quo and it's not like there's any new blood to challenge that.

In a club article about the Thiele re-election it mentioned that he and Fiacchi are the two member elects. The other seven (including the Chairman) aren't, I guess. So is there any kind of mandatory turnover policy there for those board positions? If now how do we expect the board to ever be challenged or held accountable?

The re-signing of Hinkley demonstrates to me that the board is comfortable with the status quo and it's not like there's any new blood to challenge that.
The token appointment of a "millenial disrupter" makes me worried that the board has lost perspective and think by appointing some random young person, their grip on reality will be magically restored.

Do any business-knowing-guys what a good board turnover is? Aside from Ransom everyone on our board has been around since 2011 or 2012. That seems a bit slow. I would have thought an increased turnover would bring a broader perspective and challenging ideas to the board.

It's a fine balance thing. Boards need fresh ideas but also stability. When times are tough financially, stability is the best option, so I can understand why we've kept the board together over this period.

Bringing in Holly Ransom was a way of injecting some fresh perspective into the board but my gut feel (ie I have no knowledge of her input at the club) is this has not really been a successful appointment.

Check the constitution for the bolded bit. Some boards have them, others don't.

My guess is that the AFL wants stability on boards so there is no mandatory tenure set.
Change at board level would be at their discretion. (which is how we got Koch)

Bringing in Holly Ransom was a way of injecting some fresh perspective into the board but my gut feel (ie I have no knowledge of her input at the club) is this has not really been a successful appointment.

She's like a cryptocurrency.

No-one's entirely sure what she does, how she works, whether she'll one day be worth $10,000,000 or $0.01, but boy oh boy, everyone's talking about her and merely having her around seems to make zeitgeist-prone males feel much better about themselves.

It's a fine balance thing. Boards need fresh ideas but also stability. When times are tough financially, stability is the best option, so I can understand why we've kept the board together over this period.
Stability is one thing but 1 change in 6-7 years seems like stable to the point of moribund.

One person - a person who is many years junior to her peers in this case - is not going to do much, hey. I still don't like that the only real 'board' thread we have is one that exist through the lens of our most junior board member.

My guess is that the AFL wants stability on boards so there is no mandatory tenure set.
From what I can gather it's a minimum 3 year term for the board members appointed by the AFL. It mentions a directors position becoming vacant if the term expires but there's nothing about a maximum or standard term length.

I still don't like that the only real 'board' thread we have is one that exist through the lens of our most junior board member.

We have a fairly vicious David Koch thread, don't forget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of a boards analysis and governance should be to review the board composition to assess if it needs improvement, additions or refresh.

I tend to see her as a token appointment. I've heard from people I know that have had a bit to do with her that she's highly intelligent. She certainly lacks experience in football and business in general. I suspect her role on the board would be to bring a completely different set of eyes and to challenge the status quo wherever appropriate. Who really knows if she's been a positive or negative or just a nothingness.

I tend to see her as a token appointment. I've heard from people I know that have had a bit to do with her that she's highly intelligent. She certainly lacks experience in football and business in general. I suspect her role on the board would be to bring a completely different set of eyes and to challenge the status quo wherever appropriate. Who really knows if she's been a positive or negative or just a nothingness.

Careful, I made a comment about 'token females' in another thread and a couple of people jumped down my throat. If you look at the Boards of most AFL Clubs they have a couple of female Directors. Nothing against females in authority, I have worked with some pretty able ones, but I have to wonder if there isn't a broader AFL agenda at play here.

I am not sure how much David Koch, Cos Cardone, Jamie Restas, Amanda Vanstone and Holly Ransom actually know about running football clubs. All were appointed in the period 2011-12 presumably with AFL/ SANFL collusion and non of them appear to have had any experience in Australian Rules football or with the PAFC prior to that time. Their CV's are impressive but I am not sure they have a wealth of footy knowledge about them.

More detail can be found here-

http://footyindustry.com/files/2017 Annual Reports/2017 Port Adelaide Annual Report.pdf

Doubtless REH can recite the entire document backward but is interesting and gratifying to know that the Board Meetings are well attended. The report does mention that Directors have an involvement in various committees such as the Football Strategic Committee, Finance & Auditing, Marketing etc but it does not specify which of these each Directors sits on. It would be interesting to know.

Last edited:
Careful, I made a comment about 'token females' in another thread and a couple of people jumped down my throat. If you look at the Boards of most AFL Clubs they have a couple of female Directors. Nothing against females in authority, I have worked with some pretty able ones, but I have to wonder if there isn't a broader AFL agenda at play here.

I am not sure how much David Koch, Cos Cardone, Jamie Restas, Amanda Vanstone and Holly Ransom actually know about running football clubs. All were appointed in the period 2011-12 presumably with AFL/ SANFL collusion and non of them appear to have had any experience in Australian Rules football or with the PAFC prior to that time. Their CV's are impressive but I am not sure they have a wealth of footy knowledge about them.

http://footyindustry.com/files/2017 Annual Reports/2017 Port Adelaide Annual Report.pdf
Holly was not ā€˜appointed in the period 2011-2012ā€™. In fact she is the only current director who wasnā€™t.

Holly was not ā€˜appointed in the period 2011-2012ā€™. In fact she is the only current director who wasnā€™t.

Sorry, Ms Ransom was appointed in 2016. The Annual Report mentions that she is an 'Emergent Director'. Could that mean she is some sort of trainee? Surely not.

I get the impression TeeKray was using the word 'token' in reference to her status as the only millennial on the board and her personal brand of being a, uh, 'disrupter', not because she is a woman.

Sorry, Ms Ransom was appointed in 2016. The Annual Report mentions that she is an 'Emergent Director'. Could that mean she is some sort of trainee? Surely not.
It says she is the Chief Executive Officer of Emergent, some corporate consultancy business.

Doubtless REH can recite the entire document backward but is interesting and gratifying to know that the Board Meetings are well attended. The report does mention that Directors have an involvement in various committees such as the Football Strategic Committee, Finance & Auditing, Marketing etc but it does not specify which of these each Directors sits on. It would be interesting to know.

I should clarify that when I said token appointment I was more talking her age than her gender.

Nobody who has had a personal audience with the Dalai Lama in an official capacity could be described as a trainee. However, her being a director of an AFL club with designs on China could be described as a ā€˜traineeā€™ decision by whoever championed her onto the board.

I get the impression TeeKray was using the word 'token' in reference to her status as the only millennial on the board and her personal brand of being a, uh, 'disrupter', not because she is a woman.

It says she is the Chief Executive Officer of Emergent, some corporate consultancy business.

You are right again, I looked at it a couple of times and there are a couple of commas in the wrong spot. It should read Chief Executive Officer Emergent, Director PAFC.

Agree 100% Cya holly or should I say don't let the door hit your backside!

We need someone footy qualified and representative of diff culture. jassmin Abdel-Magied might be a good pick, not sure if you've mentioned her name yet? time for a BIG SHAKEUP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back