Roy Morgan Research Poll 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

This was basically Cameron Schwab’s argument in that 1993 - year that delivered podcast last week

If Essendon were operating out of the MCG and won a flag they would comfortably outdraw every Vic club including Richmond and Collingwood.

I can't prove that simply because they are in the Dome for keeps but I am convinced of it.

80,000 members operating out of the Dome a couple of years after druggie gate and with no success for a decade or more........ Remarkable.

Collingwood needed a flag to do it.

Richmond? Remarkable ability to actively engage the base. Truly remarkable. The famous "Army" is about atmosphere and noise rather than simple numbers. However nationally we are way behind. Perhaps that is changing a bit with the current success but that underlying reality will remain. Of all the great Melbourne clubs Richmond remains closest to its suburban roots in terms of fanbase.

Interesting that it suggests Hawthorn has more supporters than Richmond.

I doubt we’d have more. I used to argue that but Richmond’s drawing power is self evident...

That said if you look at the social media channels Hawthorn is typically amongst the top end of clubs when it comes to reach.

Hawthorn’s success came extremely late in the VFL era so it’s likely our support and membership base is much more national then the majority of the traditional clubs.

It’s also possible that our 20 year investment in Tasmania is starting to bare fruit among the younger generation of north / east Tasmanians

Unsubscribed members aren't counted and yet pets are. Pets have no free will and don't technically support anything.

I think that's the great hypocrisy this poll shows that clubs don't. Clubs are happy to count animals but not supporters that won't pay them. Their membership numbers are from a financial perspective. Whereas the research poll is from a perspective of actual supporters.
Pets are not counted towards membership tallies. It amazes me that some people still actually believe that myth.

There are "pet memberships" all clubs sell, but it is really more "pet merchandise" and as mentioned, not counted towards the membership numbers.

Last edited:
Aren't all membership numbers self reported? That would mean any clubs number is a claim.

Unless you've personally contacted every member to ensure the numbers are accurate?
The AFL does an audit of club memberships. That's why you sometimes see a drop from the clubs 'claim' after the audit. Like when Collingwood once claimed over 80,000 but got bumped back to something like 79,000 after the audit, or Adelaide claiming over 80,000 this year but got bumped back to something in the 60's this year. Even Richmond got bumped back one year.

So according to Roy Morgan,
Melbourne Storm are a bigger club than any Victorian afl team!

Yeah right!

This poll is just something gopies uses to help him sleep better at night after knowing the fact richmond have absolutely dwarfed Collingwood.
The poll even has Sydney as the team with the biggest supporter base. This pretty much indicates it is asking people who don't even have an interest in football.

Lol if Richmond were no.1 you would be boasting how big Richmond are.

Just proves that if Collingwood and Essendon are win a premiership they would easily over take Richmond as having the most members
Collingwood won a premiership in 2010. Couldn't even crack the 80,000 mark, let alone get anywhere near 100,000.

I really should set up a bingo for this thread which pops up every year.

- Victorian teams fight about who is the biggest.
- People like try to act intelligent by pointing out that ACTUALLY the Swans don't have 1.2 million supporters because they just ask Sydney people and they say the Swans because that's all they know. Thanks for that genius, I actually thought the Swans were the most supported club in Australia! Glad you set me straight.
- People act as if 'membership conversion' actually means something.
- My favourite: guy who has literally no clue about statistical polling thinks he's clever by saying "bubub they only surveyed this amount of people how could it be accurate?!"

Guarantee you can go through this thread every year and get all those posts.

I really should set up a bingo for this thread which pops up every year.

- Victorian teams fight about who is the biggest.
- People like try to act intelligent by pointing out that ACTUALLY the Swans don't have 1.2 million supporters because they just ask Sydney people and they say the Swans because that's all they know. Thanks for that genius, I actually thought the Swans were the most supported club in Australia! Glad you set me straight.
- People act as if 'membership conversion' actually means something.
- My favourite: guy who has literally no clue about statistical polling thinks he's clever by saying "bubub they only surveyed this amount of people how could it be accurate?!"

Guarantee you can go through this thread every year and get all those posts.

and another hardy annual guaranteed to recur year on year is the Swans inability to convert their million fans into members.

The poll is what it is. It measures soft support. It does no more or less than that.

It's less about support and more about name recognition.

If they called me and asked what NRL team I support I'd say Storm....never been to a game, never bought any merch, think I watched them play in finals a few years back (more because my housemate was a NRL fan), but that would have been down the pub, so interest might have been more on the pool table.

But for Roy Morgan, that's 'support'.

If they'd actually added some reasonable minimum criteria (go to a game, watch on TV...hell, even knowing how they're going this year and/or who they're playing next week), these numbers would change a lot, and not just for Sydney....All the bigger name clubs with bigger media presence (Eddie McChins...) would get a big adjustment from this.
:DYou'd share a house with an NRL supporter? It's not like there aren't options in Melbourne.

Lol if Richmond were no.1 you would be boasting how big Richmond are.

Just proves that if Collingwood and Essendon are win a premiership they would easily over take Richmond as having the most members

Use your brain do you really think Sydney is the most supported club, the poll is rubbish, they ask about 14k people who their favourite AFL club is then extrapolate that out to cover all Australians, if I was forced to answer a similar survey about FFA I would probably pick Perth Glory as I live in Perth but I would never buy a membership go to a game or purchase a single item of thiers so it's a nonsence survey, that has no real value for a club.

Why are you so jealous that Richmond is currently number one, it was the same in the 60's and 70's Richmond were huge and in 1980 we were the first club to get a million through the gates, when Collingwood or Essendon win their next flag they will probably be no.1 for a year or two again, until one or the other of us win a flag again, thats how its been for years.

Membership and attendance the only thing that matters when measuring a club's support. Tigers then daylight to the rest. We've played one less home game than Collingwood, West Coast and Essendon and still have more through the turnstiles. Collingwood probably not even the second biggest and Swans way down the list. Lol morgan poll :tearsofjoy:

upload_2018-8-21_10-37-36.png

upload_2018-8-21_10-40-7.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Essendon were operating out of the MCG and won a flag they would comfortably outdraw every Vic club including Richmond and Collingwood.

I can't prove that simply because they are in the Dome for keeps but I am convinced of it.

80,000 members operating out of the Dome a couple of years after druggie gate and with no success for a decade or more........ Remarkable.

This has already been proven not to be the case after the 93 flag. Couldn't outdraw pies playing out of Vic park. The "if they were playing out of the G" thing is an excuse. The druggie gate actually worked to increase their membership as so often happens with adversity - look at Hawthorns membership and attendances after they nearly merged with Melbourne. It creates an us against them mentality. Tigers are the trendsetters when it comes to attendance and membership.

lies etc and statistics. Interesting trends though.

My understanding as a Vic WC member (nothing available for me locally) is that full WC membership is limited to seats available -but then again there are many other forms of membership for different clubs - I have been a 3 game member with the Swans but don't support them, It was cheaper than the entry price so why not. Even got a free cap to wash the car with.

What is a supporter?

Sydney 4.5 million people that's why.

Yeah but how many in Sydney even follow afl? I guess many support the Swans simply cos they're the Sydney team, if asked what team they support. Like I might support the Glory or Wildcats. Bit different from following. But many who support the Eagles or Magpies probably don't even follow them.

I know a few people who say they go for Collingwood but never or rarely watch games or know what's going on in footy.

Yeah exactly. Sydney are only first as it's a large city with 1 club (before GWS). Qlder's obviously don't give a **** about AFL, but NSW people do somewhat.

Sydney is firm rugby league territory. It's mostly southwest NSW like the Riverina, and towns like Wagga to some extent that are into Aussie rules. If anything the Gold Coast has a more active aussie rules presence, just not enough people to really support the Suns. Sydney's size could still be enough though even if say 10% followed footy.

Not necessarily. I'm not an Eagles member but still buy merchandise, memorabilia, occasionally buy tickets, follow and view their social media (they'd get money from sponsored posts), watch most games on TV. Fans who aren't members still contribute a lot of money to clubs.

Exactly. Not to mention making noise at games lol. I don't necessarily thinks being a member makes you more of a diehard fan, though most diehard fans would want to be. Maybe 'more' of a supporter financially but it's not all about that.

Membership and attendance the only thing that matters when measuring a club's support. Tigers then daylight to the rest. We've played one less home game than Collingwood, West Coast and Essendon and still have more through the turnstiles. Collingwood probably not even the second biggest and Swans way down the list. Lol morgan poll :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 546669

View attachment 546670
Lol at Morgan polls? Do you know how they work? You may be able to dismiss one of them but considering every poll they have done clearly puts Collingwood no1 in Victoria you simply can't dismiss that, it's ******* maths dude.

Lol at Morgan polls? Do you know how they work? You may be able to dismiss one of them but considering every poll they have done clearly puts Collingwood no1 in Victoria you simply can't dismiss that, it's ******* maths dude.

They take a small "diverse" sample and extrapolate out to 25 million :drunk: I don't care if they do a thousand of them still **** on a bull unless they take a full sample.

TIC TOC!!

View attachment 546669

View attachment 546670
Why can't Richmond break any of our attendance records even with more members?

IMO Richmond sold a heap of 3 game memberships on the back of winning their first flag since 94BC, but the pain endured in the 5 previous years helped as well, not winning a single final, losing a final to 9th, Richmond were the laughing stock of the AFL, Carlton fans laughed at them FFS.

Then they win a flag and most every one of their fans wants a piece of it so they go an buy a membership, it explains why their crowds don't quite add up to their membership base, with 100k members they should be smashing every attendance record in the book, this year they'll break our 7th all time record, 7th. Lol.

Mogan polls say Collingwood are bigger.

Every Social media platform says Collingwood are bigger

Crowd records say Collingwood are bigger.

Benny Gale says Collingwood are bigger.

Last edited:
Why can't Richmond break any of our attendance records even with more members?

IMO Richmond sold a heap of 3 game memberships on the back of winning their first flag since 94BC, but the pain endured in the 5 previous years helped as well, not winning a single final, losing a final to 9th, Richmond were the laughing stock of the AFL, Carlton fans laughed at them FFS.

Then they win a flag and most every one of their fans wants a piece of it so they go an buy a membership, it explains why their crowds don't quite add up to their membership base, with 100k members they should be smasing every attendance record in the book, this year they'll break out 7th all time record, 7th. Lol.

Lol fire up Franky! Why can't a top 4 Collingwood outdraw the Tigers? Why can't the Pies even get 80K members even with your pet memberships?

upload_2018-8-21_12-3-3.png

And why do you only draw crowds 32K and 34K against GWS and Freo when you have over 70K members? :drunk:

5 days until you go on holidays franky boy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back