Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to believe we won last week as im told Aliir was an absolute mess at Q time as was his two closest mates in Newman and Cunningham . By AJ going out at the break ,he told them to get on with it and win. What a legend.
Newman in particular looked absolutely devestated. He has since put together two of his best games IMO.

There is conjecture whether he is predisposed to these injuries as some genetic influence. He has now had each knee with ACLs and both from what I understand involved no physical player contact- change of direction only. That is highly suggestive of inherent genetic weakness. Bad luck maybe but unlikely IMO. The swans should seriously consider not offering another contract. Wonderful and sad story and heart wrenching but we shouldn't tie ourselves to any player with injury predisposition. I know that opinion won't be popular

Fairly unpopular I would imagine and you are entitled to have that opinion of course. My argument would be that you' re putting two and two together with outsider view. Quite possible (my opinion) that the extra strain on that side of his body in favouring it for so long could have played a part rather than a genetic issue.

At this point rather than both of us guessing we should let it play out. I would imagine that his injury is something the Swans have to consider very seriously but that would be done with Alex's input and the medical reports.

His actions have been team focused whilst also keeping his dream alive (who would begrudge him) he will make the right call if it's time and if not his name on the list whilst he rehabs could mean a lot to the culture of the Swans in keeping that as a place you want to get drafted to. In a brand sense it has been seen as a big positive the Swans backing Johnson for so long, rather than delisting. He must have value way beyond a name on an injury list, most likely in things we never get to see.

Fairly unpopular I would imagine and you are entitled to have that opinion of course. My argument would be that you' re putting two and two together with outsider view. Quite possible (my opinion) that the extra strain on that side of his body in favouring it for so long could have played a part rather than a genetic issue.

At this point rather than both of us guessing we should let it play out. I would imagine that his injury is something the Swans have to consider very seriously but that would be done with Alex's input and the medical reports.

His actions have been team focused whilst also keeping his dream alive (who would begrudge him) he will make the right call if it's time and if not his name on the list whilst he rehabs could mean a lot to the culture of the Swans in keeping that as a place you want to get drafted to. In a brand sense it has been seen as a big positive the Swans backing Johnson for so long, rather than delisting. He must have value way beyond a name on an injury list, most likely in things we never get to see.
Really well considered post BB. Spot on

It's hard to believe we won last week as im told Aliir was an absolute mess at Q time as was his two closest mates in Newman and Cunningham . By AJ going out at the break ,he told them to get on with it and win. What a legend.

Might have saved our season right there in that case.

I'm like an elephant on this sort of thing when it comes to our great club. I'll never forget :thumbsu:

Every part of a body affects every other part certainly. Your gait affects your hips and in turn you vertebrae. Muscle weakness can develop as it did with me inside thigh re my knee ligament injury and those weaknesses can mean your knee is less protected by muscle mass. But he would have had specific leg and knee strengthening exercises which would have been done for both legs. The medical people will navigate the appropriate course as they should and that may or may not cut across my opinion. Sure. Accepted.

The public relations benefits are unquestioned.....perhaps even the team culture aspects too. But all players have dreams not just ones with multiple knee reconstructions as courageous as his dream has been. I doubt Brandon Jack wanted his dream to end as it did. His dream wasn't popular like AJs for obvious reasons but likely still as precious to him

What I hope for all players is that it is always a level playing field in listing decisions. Hard to take a step back from sentiment sometimes but ALL players deserve that I feel.

Every part of a body affects every other part certainly. Your gait affects your hips and in turn you vertebrae. Muscle weakness can develop as it did with me inside thigh re my knee ligament injury and those weaknesses can mean your knee is less protected by muscle mass. But he would have had specific leg and knee strengthening exercises which would have been done for both legs. The medical people will navigate the appropriate course as they should and that may or may not cut across my opinion. Sure. Accepted.

The public relations benefits are unquestioned.....perhaps even the team culture aspects too. But all players have dreams not just ones with multiple knee reconstructions as courageous as his dream has been. I doubt Brandon Jack wanted his dream to end as it did. His dream wasn't popular like AJs for obvious reasons but likely still as precious to him

What I hope for all players is that it is always a level playing field in listing decisions. Hard to take a step back from sentiment sometimes but ALL players deserve that I feel.
Best post I’ve seen in quite a while!

Might be a long time ago but he was almost best afield in the 2012 GF a lot different to Brandon Jack who never quite made it. Not an argument to have though as I agree nobodies dream should be anymore important. What you show during your dream is where the reality is probably drawn from. I don't know of course but I'm assuming there is something pretty positive about AJ off field as much as when he was on. I will leave it there Puke. I'm not here to derail your opinion or counter your every point. I think you probably have verbalized a viewpoint that has crossed peoples mind but perhaps it's a bit unfair to bang on about it yet. I will let it rest until The club or Alex make their decisions

Might be a long time ago but he was almost best afield in the 2012 GF a lot different to Brandon Jack who never quite made it. Not an argument to have though as I agree nobodies dream should be anymore important. What you show during your dream is where the reality is probably drawn from. I don't know of course but I'm assuming there is something pretty positive about AJ off field as much as when he was on. I will leave it there Puke. I'm not here to derail your opinion or counter your every point. I think you probably have verbalized a viewpoint that has crossed peoples mind but perhaps it's a bit unfair to bang on about it yet. I will let it rest until The club or Alex make their decisions

BB let me be clear. I'm totally fine with you positing a counter opinion to mine. Were any opinion I hold capable of being derailed by simple counter then it probably should be. Are you suggesting me raising my opinion (banging on as you put it) is poorly timed and therefore disrespectful to AJ? I definitely would't disrespect AJ because he is a loyal swan who has endured a lot and is presently heartbroken. I'll show greater discretion and not speak until medical staff, the club and AJ decide a path. Ok?

BB let me be clear. I'm totally fine with you positing a counter opinion to mine. Were any opinion I hold capable of being derailed by simple counter then it probably should be. Are you suggesting me raising my opinion (banging on as you put it) is poorly timed and therefore disrespectful to AJ? I definitely would't disrespect AJ because he is a loyal swan who has endured a lot and is presently heartbroken. I'll show greater discretion and not speak until medical staff, the club and AJ decide a path. Ok?

When I write I'm not always clear sorry. In saying "bang on about it" I am referring to me going on about it not directed at you. I was trying to say that I am going to leave the subject be until I hear more. You can discuss as much as you like, not telling you to do anything (I have no right) just felt that I should leave the discussion alone for the moment.

I'm sorry that it has come across as me suggesting anything disrespectful. I think you raise a thought that has been on people's mind, at the moment I don't agree with that but I have no evidence to say you're wrong either. Hence after discussing with you I thought it better that I leave it at that until I know more rather than countering your argument. You are also right that I look at things with a healthy dose of sentimentality which therefore clouds my opinion.

Appreciate the respectful discussion.

Such a hard thread to read. Whatever happens I will never forget him staggering out at quarter time to offer a word and pat on the back every one of his team mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but my reasoning is that if he goes the traditional route then we won't see him until 2020 pre-season if he goes on. And it's not unreasonable to suggest that he will be at risk doing his knee again at any point during 2020. As much as I want there to be a fairytale and see Johnson go around again. I think 6 knee reco's might be enough to say his body won't be reliable enough to play AFL at the highest level for a sustained period.

Don’t disagree at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back