How seriously do you take football?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll be 45 soon. I reckon if the tigers salute with a back to back, that will just about do it for me. Footy will just be something i take the kids to.
Footy used to be awesome because it was that release you could have after a long week at work. The beauty of it was it was the peoples game. It wasn’t about politics, messages, anything, it was just footy.
Now, every round has a theme, they keep tinkering with the game, it’s big business, it’s about branding, gambling ads, s**t so loud blaring at every break at the venues you can’t even talk to the person next to you ect etc.
I don’t go to the footy to have pc messages rammed down my throat, I don’t really care for any of the themed rounds except for womens round, anzac day and the dreamtime game. It doesn’t resemble a thing i grew up with which was just footy. We didn’t have *******s like Razor Ray prancing about. In fact the umps used to give the players a spray back. It was a mans game. Now we have Brooooooce and co telling us what to think at the AFL’s behest. Womens footy, isn’t it great. Actually no, it’s ******* terrible. Womens cricket is a far superior game skill wise.
So, in short, I don’t really take it seriously at all because it’s so unrecognisable from what i used to see years ago. Truth be told, i enjoy local football possibly more than the AFL now (except for my beloved tigers).
#endoldmanoldendaysrant

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower
If Tigers go b2b footy will just be something you take the kids to? No way brah. You're an adrenaline junkie. A spiritual Tiger. It will only be a matter of pre pre-season until you're itching for you next fix. NZ, Perth, Brisbane, Bells Beach Australia. You'll go anywhere to watch your beloved Tigers. Jump out of an aeroplane, even rob a bank to fund it all. You'll take your kids to the edge man. And beyond. Even if you don't know it, I do. You got that kamikaze look in your eye. I can smell it a mile away.

It's amazing how a result can affect your week, nothing worse than losing on a Thur/Fri night, flattens your weekend, a win on the other hand can really get you up and about, at least that happens with me although losing is almost expected now days ;(
This aged well.

I'm not sure how I compare, but it tends to fluctuates. I have to admit I can be a bit of a fairweather supporter, and i think that's the case for most. Like when we're doing well I take a keener interest, games mean more. I guess I can divide my Eagles fandom into 3 specific periods:

As a kid growing up in Perth in the 90s the Eagles were the hot new thing. They represented WA and WA footy on a 'national' (still at that basically Victorian) level, so state/city pride was a part of it. I was pretty into the footy but also really into basketball too, it seemed bball was much bigger in Australia in the 90s. During the early 90s both the Eagles and Wild Cats were doing really well. Would play at school with mates, kick around, but oddly never went to a live game. Watched some Eagles games on telly, and wouldn't have minded seeing them in person, but not enough to beg my folks who weren't that into footy.

During high school my interest was more casual. I'd occasionally watch on tv, watched the grand finals, but that was about it.

Got back into the Eagles in 2004, and only saw my first live footy game at AFL level then, the Derby. Would see maybe 2 or 3 home games a year. Was of course pumped when we made the gf in 05, watched it at Burswood. Losing was of course deflating. Got pretty emotional after winning in 2006. Never felt such a sense of relief in a sporting context.

Continued to follow semi-casually, watching some home games on tv, and interesting matches. Moved to Melbourne in 2013, which meant being able to watch more matches. Joining Bf has been great to discuss the game with others as few of my friends follow footy.

I do get pretty into it barracking (which surprises some as I'm usually quiet and mild mannered), whether live or on tv. Whether the Eagles or another team. I probably cheered as hard for the Bulldogs in 16 as I have ever done the Eagles lol. Never been to a granny but did see the 05 prelim.

It does lift my mood after a win, especially a good or important one, and a loss can be deflating, but I move on pretty quickly. I just enjoy the footy and competition regardless of how the Eagles are doing, but enjoy it more when we're up and about lol.

During the season footy gives you something to look forward to, but during the off season I kinda forget about it. I'm not that interested in the whole business side of footy, off field scandals etc, I just love the game itself. As a spectacle, as a drama, as something that brings people together (or divides them in (hopefully) friendly rivalries), there's nothing like sport.

If Tigers go b2b footy will just be something you take the kids to? No way brah. You're an adrenaline junkie. A spiritual Tiger. It will only be a matter of pre pre-season until you're itching for you next fix. NZ, Perth, Brisbane, Bells Beach Australia. You'll go anywhere to watch your beloved Tigers. Jump out of an aeroplane, even rob a bank to fund it all. You'll take your kids to the edge man. And beyond. Even if you don't know it, I do. You got that kamikaze look in your eye. I can smell it a mile away.

Nah, I really mean it. I have two years left for cricket (finally retired from A grade and gonna play B’s with my kid before he starts playing up), and footy is just gonna be a noise in the background.
Just other stuff i’m gonna start doing. I tried to explain as best as I could in my original post, it’s like a candle burning slowly, and the flame is nearly gone.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Even after last year still passionate as ever and will continue to attend games and buy 11 game membership, however i don't get as worked up when we win (except for beating port) or lose nowadays, still love the game through and through.

I take finals seriously. That is clearly the best time for footy. I take the big ticket Friday night games seriously. And I thought Thurs night this year was decently fruitful. More Thurs night games for the season next year, please!

Like I've said before, though, I am definitely less amped for footy each year passing. I really thought after 2012 finals series the Dockers were set for a premiership window that would get one. That surely might finally snag ONE... But, no. And now so much of the raw excitement of that period, which was no more or less overall exciting footy broadly than now, is a memory, a sad one :'(

How serious is serious? I used to be serious. Couldn't think of anything else. Footy, footy, footy.

Then I found God..... (not the Footy gods. The one true God.)

Do you want to know what he said?

Do you like footy? Seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 game membership type serious.
If I miss a live game, will watch a replay if we win.
If the surf or snow is on then footy a distant back seat.
If it's a day game I'll likely listen on radio whilst doing whatever else.

Love the game and the pies, but it's not the be all.

I love the game, I will watch all 9 games a week. I have a tigers membership and an AFL membership so I can go as a neutral.
I love the Tigers just as much today as I did when I was a kid in the 90s and I didn't understand that we were a basket case. I just thought the Tigers were the best thing in the world. I still get really defensive if people give me s**t about the Tigers. The only thing I would say that is different now is that I don't get as damn depressed when we lose like I used to when I was a kid/Teenager. I ain't happy about it and losing on a Friday night puts a damper on the weekend, but it doesn't eat me alive anymore.

But yeah, my passion and love of the game has never died or weaned. I don't think it ever will. Footy is just my thing.

I love the game, I will watch all 9 games a week. I have a tigers membership and an AFL membership so I can go as a neutral.
I love the Tigers just as much today as I did when I was a kid in the 90s and I didn't understand that we were a basket case. I just thought the Tigers were the best thing in the world. I still get really defensive if people give me s**t about the Tigers. The only thing I would say that is different now is that I don't get as damn depressed when we lose like I used to when I was a kid/Teenager. I ain't happy about it and losing on a Friday night puts a damper on the weekend, but it doesn't eat me alive anymore.

But yeah, my passion and love of the game has never died or weaned. I don't think it ever will. Footy is just my thing.
Wowy... that's a serious time commitment. Do you do nothing else on the weekends but watch afl?

In all honesty, I dont give two shits. I laugh at my own teams woes, its all just total junk when you put on the scale of all things in life.
Quit my membership in 2014, for nearly 10 years I never missed a game in Melbourne, now Ill go to 3-5 a year max.
It has absolutely nothing to do with how s**t my team is, and everything to do with reasons already mentioned. Particularly the rubbish pre game/during garbage that goes on etc. The Bullying and propaganda that comers from the halfwits at AFL house. The list goes on and on and thats before you even get to on field issues. The game post 2000 has been dying a slow death , and as of next year Im basically checking out with the 9mtr goal square and other rubbish they are bringing in. Up until now, I have been quite happy just to watch other teams games on a weekend, next year thats being taken from me by the campaigners at the AFL. Hears a hearty * you to you Gil you prissy pleb.
I hope people realise this is not older blokes yelling at clouds, we ARE ACTUALLY losing our game down a different path now and that more than anything probably just makes me ******* sad.

Last edited:
As the game I grew up loving, playing and then coaching no longer exists I still take an interest in how the Eagles are going but my days of watching all the games are over. I dislike what they have done to this sport and think the sport itself is in a horrible state.

Funny reading the last couple of posts, i too was coaching up until this season (at a junior level). The AFL pumps out numbers about the health of the game, participation etc and how they are growing the game. I can tell you, the game is dying. Kids are walking away from it. If you reckon the standard of the comp has dropped in the last couple of years with 18 teams etc, just wait another 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to read and watch anything footy related. A win would make the week a loss would ruin it.

But as time has gone on, I realised that supporting a sporting club and having its performance dictate your mood really is ridiculous. I have no control over what goes on at my club so why should I let it impact me so greatly?

it doesn't mean that I never get carried away any more, just not as much as I used to. I try to worry about things I can control. Sometimes easier said than done but I'm getting there. I reckon going cold turkey on all the over the top analysis on the game has helped. No fox footy for me unless I am watching a game.

Funny reading the last couple of posts, i too was coaching up until this season (at a junior level). The AFL pumps out numbers about the health of the game, participation etc and how they are growing the game. I can tell you, the game is dying. Kids are walking away from it. If you reckon the standard of the comp has dropped in the last couple of years with 18 teams etc, just wait another 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AFL numbers are nonsense. Clubs in WA are struggling to field under 17's sides now. Many clubs can't at all. There has always been a drop off but it is much more substantial now as these idiots at AFL house are telling young boys at an early age whether or not they could be on a possible draft radar. the ones that are not told just walk away.

Playing seriously, watching not so seriously. Except for bombers games against rivals. Think football games are great, the sideshow gets annoying (trade talk all year, MRP, politics etc). Finals round the corner and the focus is changing the game, Tom lynch and priority picks. Talk about this year firstly.

I was born into a football family, Dad, Siblings, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and friends we are all members, Our reserved seats are in the same section we have 50 year members right through to 1 year members. (I'm 27 years I think, Turn 30 next week yay). It's awesome being part of it all it's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends, Wouldn't change a thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back