Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
interesting to note that Gov stirling school won the eagles cup on the weekend. PSA schools don't enter this comp. GS beat Emmanuel and a few weeks ago I heard that Aquinas (Year 9's I think) played Emmanuel as a one off and Aquinas accounted for Emmanuel easily in the end. And not even sure if Aquinas year 9's are the best of the PSA schools. These other schools have football specific programs etc but still fall a little short of PSA schools. I guess playing footy each week against other PSA schools in a proper competition is very beneficial.
It was year 8s and yeah Aquinas did them easily. There wasn't much comparison.
Watching the 1st XVIII AC verse Hale two weeks ago was an excellent standard by both sides. Aquinas winning well in the end and going undefeated. From what I have seen if AC were given a wild card into WAFL colts finals I reckon they would go deep into the series.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watching the 1st XVIII AC verse Hale two weeks ago was an excellent standard by both sides. Aquinas winning well in the end and going undefeated. From what I have seen if AC were given a wild card into WAFL colts finals I reckon they would go deep into the series.

Sorry and the Aquinas year 8's are in the top two sides in their comp.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

maybe the Year 8's played as well? the year 9's definitely did and the game went Aquinas's way. yes the PSA comp is alive and well and id like to see how many WA draftees come from these schools. the fact is you can't manufacture a weekly competition between other schools and I think that is where the strength comes from. albeit at the expense of club footy from about year 10 onwards I would think??

Last edited:

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guildford Grammar school seems to have a few getting drafted the last few years. But don’t seem to win to many PSA first games. Apparently they have a lot of strong young one coming through I was told.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
maybe the Year 8's played as well? the year 9's definitely did and the game went Aquinas's way. yes the PSA comp is alive and well and id like to see how many WA draftees come from these schools. the fact is you can't manufacture a weekly competition between other schools and I think that is where the strength comes from. albeit at the expense of club footy from about year 10 onwards I would think??
If other schools wanted to they could start other comps, there just isn't enough people who want to drive it.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guildford Grammar school seems to have a few getting drafted the last few years. But don’t seem to win to many PSA first games. Apparently they have a lot of strong young one coming through I was told.
Guildford have the odd standout player but as a collective they are generally weak. However that may change in the coming years now that they are co-ed

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry and the Aquinas year 8's are in the top two sides in their comp.

The WAFC have been trying to get the PSA schools back into the schools comps (Eagles Schoolboys Cup, RediMed Cup etc) for years with little interest. The current schools manager for the WAFC is a former PSA student himself and I know he is driving hard to get the interest up.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The WAFC have been trying to get the PSA schools back into the schools comps (Eagles Schoolboys Cup, RediMed Cup etc) for years with little interest. The current schools manager for the WAFC is a former PSA student himself and I know he is driving hard to get the interest up.
But why would PSA schools need to enter what is an inferior competition? Firstly they wouldn’t have the time. PSA sport is compulsory and already takes up much of student time out of school hours. I can’t see this ever happening. And that current WAFC manager knows exactly how PSA works and the extra time parents and PSA teachers and kids alteady put in and while he might say he wants it he knows it won’t happen.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
If other schools wanted to they could start other comps, there just isn't enough people who want to drive it.

Yeah and also it depends on what ‘association’ or whatever the school group belongs to. (As in PSA etc). Having an interschool carnival or even a mini comp run over a few weeks in your school group is one thing- incorporating a year round weekly competition in various sports is a whole other kettle of fish. And that’s where PSA is so much better. And that’s some of the reason why parents send their kids to PSA schools.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
But why would PSA schools need to enter what is an inferior competition? Firstly they wouldn’t have the time. PSA sport is compulsory and already takes up much of student time out of school hours. I can’t see this ever happening. And that current WAFC manager knows exactly how PSA works and the extra time parents and PSA teachers and kids alteady put in and while he might say he wants it he knows it won’t happen.
Yeah I can certainly see why PSA wouldn't be interested in it. There is no value in it for them.
In the eighties the year 10s would go into CIG cup competitions and more often than not the GF was played between PSA schools anyway.
I think the PSA comp would be even better if it played finals. At present every game is a final but sides who have academy players struggle to get their best side in every week as they are endeavouring to help players develop. Having finals at the end of the season while there are no academy commitments will find out who the best side really is, give the Alcock Cup a better profile and create more interest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett1974

Rookie
May 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jack Allen will be one GG player to watch next year. Relatively new to footy and getting noticed.

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
They must be doing something right at Guildford, seems to be the school a lot of boys are getting drafted from last year sam Taylor and the year before griffin Logue.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
They must be doing something right at Guildford, seems to be the school a lot of boys are getting drafted from last year sam Taylor and the year before griffin Logue.
Nat Fyfe, Elliot Yeo, Patrick Cripps and Liam Baker are from Aquinas.
Jason Carter, Tom Joyce, Jarrad Cameron and Kody Eaton from Aquinas all look like getting drafted this year.
2019 probables are Jeremy Sharp and Deven Robertson. Possibles are Trey Ruscoe and Tarkyn Brogan Henry.
2020 Logan McDonald

Hale have a few out there and some up and comers as well. Guildford are doing okay but I don't reckon they are number 1. IMO other schools are out producing them.

Last edited:

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Nat Fyfe, Elliot Yeo, Patrick Cripps and Liam Baker are from Aquinas.
Jason Carter, Tom Joyce, Jarrad Cameron and Kody Eaton from Aquinas all look like getting drafted this year.
2019 probables are Jeremy Sharp and Deven Robertson. Possibles are Trey Ruscoe and Tarkyn Brogan Henry.
2020 Logan McDonald

Hale have a few out there and some up and comers as well. Guildford are doing okay but I don't reckon they are number 1. IMO other schools are out producing them.
4 from one school in this year's and next year's draft? Really? that would have to be some kind of PSA record surely?

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
4 from one school in this year's and next year's draft? Really? that would have to be some kind of PSA record surely?
Dunno but Kody Eaton is a late bloomer and someone may take him as project player. As for next year Ruscoe and Brogan Henry are only possibles.
AC have been exceptionally strong last year and this year. Last year their 1stXVIII had 9 state reps. 3 in the 18s, 5 in the 16s and 1 in the 15s.
This year they had 2 boys, who graduated last year, in the 18s while Joyce has been injured. Robertson and Sharp played 18s also as underagers with Sharp making AA. Robertson was AA last year in 16s and Ruscoe was part of the 18s academy as an underager, but didn't get to play.
McDonald lead the 16s academy forward line and was leading goalkicker for the carnival and Named All Australian full forward.
So their draft prospects are real.
I would say this year Joyce, Carter and Cameron (All graduated last year) are definites and Eaton is a competitive beast still learning the game but I know clubs have been enquiring.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Dunno but Kody Eaton is a late bloomer and someone may take him as project player. As for next year Ruscoe and Brogan Henry are only possibles.
AC have been exceptionally strong last year and this year. Last year their 1stXVIII had 9 state reps. 3 in the 18s, 5 in the 16s and 1 in the 15s.
This year they had 2 boys, who graduated last year, in the 18s while Joyce has been injured. Robertson and Sharp played 18s also as underagers with Sharp making AA. Robertson was AA last year in 16s and Ruscoe was part of the 18s academy as an underager, but didn't get to play.
McDonald lead the 16s academy forward line and was leading goalkicker for the carnival and Named All Australian full forward.
So their draft prospects are real.
I would say this year Joyce, Carter and Cameron (All graduated last year) are definites and Eaton is a competitive beast still learning the game but I know clubs have been enquiring.

sounds like they keep producing the goods! it certainly appears that all U18 AA do get drafted. Late bloomers are the interesting ones aren't they. peaking too early isn't always a good sign.

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
sounds like they keep producing the goods! it certainly appears that all U18 AA do get drafted. Late bloomers are the interesting ones aren't they. peaking too early isn't always a good sign.
I reckon you're right. Being in the Academy is a great way to get drafted but does not ensure success, Tom Lamb prime example. Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I reckon you're right. Being in the Academy is a great way to get drafted but does not ensure success, Tom Lamb prime example. Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard.

tough career that kid. I think he played the first round after being drafted and no more after that? was he traded or delisted? success as a junior (and especially a young junior - like 14-16 year olds) is nothing. when I hear junior footy coaches bang on about them having multiple AFL players in their team of u14's I do have a chuckle. Every path is different and everyone peaks at different ages. being the best kid in your club team/school team/even development squad is no sign of anything if you don't work hard and have the pure luck of genetics and size on your side.

Match22

Draftee
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s really hard to say how good a kid will end up being,as some kids dominant from day one and continue to dominate ie Chris Judd. And others do come on later but hard work and dedication play a big part. I think by 15s and 16s you start to get a good indication if the kids got any talent.

Brett1974

Rookie
May 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
PSA schools have different resourcing, and different connections, but, I think at the end of the day, if the talent is there, good players find a way of playing good footy. Technology has allowed scouts to watch most games so that has removed the old "had a great game nobody saw it".
I think it's an understanding that players develop at a different rate, especially talls and that exposure to good training and the right mindset can have a massive impact on a developing player. It's not always the showy kid or the F&B kids that make it. It's those that work and develop their skills over time. PSA and Academies provide these opportunities (sometimes more than WAFL exposure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back