Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2017-18 - Dan Jordan (VFL coach) appointed to forward line - 12/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Members' email.
Members first email...

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce Ben Rutten will join the Bombers coaching department in 2019.

Rutten brings a wealth of football knowledge to the club after spending four years as an assistant coach at Richmond Football Club, and playing 229 games for Adelaide between 2003 and 2014.

“Ben is a quality person and coach who will complement our current coaching structure,” GM of Football, Dan Richardson said.

“We are respectful that Ben’s focus is on Richmond’s upcoming finals campaign and as a result we will provide a further update once these commitments are complete.

“We look forward to welcoming Ben, Kylie and boys – Jack and Bernie to Essendon
I often forget to read those.. cheers!

Considering how well he's doing with Richmond's defense you'd say that he's potentially a very good pickup. Was a damned good defender in his day too. I think our defense has a lot to work with too. Quality key position defenders, explosive rebounding smalls that can also defend and some good developing mid sized players.

I don't have any doubt that a good coach would make our defense epic in a good team.

:). He was a very underrated key defender, would rank him in the top 10 since the turn of the century comfortably, possibly top 5.

AFLCA encourage assistants to explore their options if they’re not signed up by about this time so I was fully expecting him to leave Richmond and we seemed like the most natural fit, but it’s still a surprise that it’s been announced so early and that they couldn’t keep him

Considering how well he's doing with Richmond's defense you'd say that he's potentially a very good pickup. Was a damned good defender in his day too. I think our defense has a lot to work with too. Quality key position defenders, explosive rebounding smalls that can also defend and some good developing mid sized players.

I don't have any doubt that a good coach would make our defense epic in a good team.

He is fantastic and you should all be stoked. He has an ability to get through the ego with players and get them all on the same page. He was chief among the coaches to get our back 6 to work together without all the bullshit ego stuff that can get in the way. In a way im happy he is going to another big club, will improve him as a coach and give woosha a rock solid coach who wont be afraid to push back if needed.

Also good for us to again bring in someone with fresh eyes to help us to keep innovating our game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is fantastic and you should all be stoked. He has an ability to get through the ego with players and get them all on the same page. He was chief among the coaches to get our back 6 to work together without all the bullshit ego stuff that can get in the way. In a way im happy he is going to another big club, will improve him as a coach and give woosha a rock solid coach who wont be afraid to push back if needed.

Also good for us to again bring in someone with fresh eyes to help us to keep innovating our game plan.

yeah Mark Neeld :)

:). He was a very underrated key defender, would rank him in the top 10 since the turn of the century comfortably, possibly top 5.
Easy, hes good but:

1. Scarlett
2. Rance
3. Fletch
4. Lake
5. Glass
6. Leppitsch
7. H.taylor
8. Leo Barry
9. Hurley
10. James Clement

Are all better KPDs than him and i would put the following on par with him:
1. Hooker
2. McPharlin
3. Mal Michael
4. Sam Fisher
5. Dale Morris (stiff not to be in top 10)
He was a handy full back, top 10 since 2000 is a stretch though

Outside our Twin H Towers Truck has a young exciting group to work with, which was probably a selling point.

Not sure if he was the reason behind it but the likes of Astbury and Grimes have turned from middle of the road plodders to 2 of the most reliable defenders in the comp, I can't wait to see what he does with the likes of Francis, Ridley and BZT.

Easy, hes good but:

1. Scarlett
2. Rance
3. Fletch
4. Lake
5. Glass
6. Leppitsch
7. H.taylor
8. Leo Barry
9. Hurley
10. James Clement

Are all better KPDs than him and i would put the following on par with him:
1. Hooker
2. McPharlin
3. Mal Michael
4. Sam Fisher
5. Dale Morris (stiff not to be in top 10)
He was a handy full back, top 10 since 2000 is a stretch though
Would have him definitely ahead of Taylor, Barry, Lake (you place him wayyyyyyyyyy too high) and Clement. Also placing Rance ahead of Fletch is sacrilege.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back