Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

He has definitely made an arssssssssssse out of himself.....

To be honest it always felt rather odd that family bereavement could have been the reason for his personal issues as that is something that a player and club would normally be open about and people understanding of.

In the back of my mind I was worried that it could be alcohol or drug related but not in the context of a positive match day drug test for an illicit substance.

Silly man.

The reality is Murray remains a fringe player currently and while we can hardly afford to lose players in this circumstance when injuries have taken enough of a toll his availability or not wont make or break our Premiership chances.

I'd like to think the group that'll run out tomorrow is strong enough to overcome any mental burden it may have caused and we'll push through it as a club.

It’s also public record that Brisbane gave their players blood transfusions during games. Why aren’t they being investigated?
Wasn't illegal at the time.

EDIT: It was hydration wasn't it, not blood transfusions?

Watch Cousins in that match mate.
Maybe he had some clean pee on hand, bribed a tester, maybe they only tested a few back then & he was lucky, who knows.

No point in looking elsewhere it won't change a thing, Sam is to blame.

Maybe he had some clean pee on hand, bribed a tester, maybe they only tested a few back then & he was lucky, who knows.

I agree he is to blame. I don’t agree that illicit drugs are performance enhancing, particularly if taken days before the game.
I’ll wait to hear the full details.

Here's the answer...
11.2 Consequences for Team Sports
If more than two members of a team
in a Team Sport are found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation during an Event Period, the ruling body of the Event shall impose an appropriate sanction on the team (for example, loss of points, Disqualification from a Competition or Event, or other sanction) in addition to any Consequences imposed upon the individual Athletes committing the anti-doping rule violation.
What is defined as the Event Period? A specific match or the length of a season?

Here's an old article, (2009) from Patrick Smith and he was on the money back then...
The AFL says it has a code that governs illicit drugs (tests and analysis conducted by an independent company) and another one which tests for drugs that could enhance performance under a code overseen by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

As we said, that sounds neat. However, the codes are not mutually exclusive and fatally so. Let's take cocaine. If a player tests positive to that drug on any day other than match day, he will be treated under the three strike AFL illicit policy.

In simple terms, that means he will continue to play even if he tests positive to the drug a second time.
Yes, he will be counselled, but, yes, he will still play senior AFL football for premiership points, Brownlow Medal votes, All-Australian selection and all manner of betting types.

Presently, the AFL says it has six players who have all tested twice to illicit drugs. The AFL will never discover a player using illicit drugs on match day under its own privately operated policy because it says in its latest document that it does not test on days of competition.

But ASADA does because the World Anti-Doping Authority treats cocaine as a stimulant
and therefore a drug capable of enhancing a player's performance. Therefore the Australian government agency tests for it on match day. A positive under ASADA for cocaine can see a player suspended.
https://www.news.com.au/news/contam...e/news-story/c35dad7f020543c12fde5901caab1593

I agree he is to blame. I don’t agree that illicit drugs are performance enhancing, particularly if taken days before the game.
Sorry Jmac it doesn't matter if you don't agree.

It's clear as *, if you get caught with illicit drugs in your system on gameday, you're rooted.

See above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that. Given what is now known about the drug taking behaviour of members of that West Coast team, surely their samples should be tested again. This happens in other sports, why not ours?

They probably were not dumb enough to get on the gear with in a couple of days of the match.

Sam was.

Watch Cousins in that match mate.

Former ASADA boss Richard Ings has come out in defence of the West Coast Eagles in the wake of renewed claims of a tainted premiership.
Ings, who was in charge of the anti-doping authority from 2005 to 2010, said no Eagles players returned positive match-day tests during the 2006 season.
He told 3AW the grand final against the Sydney Swans was the most tested game of the year.
“There would have been a significant number of tests conducted on both teams after that grand final and there were no players who were tested who returned positive tests for any banned substance,” Ings said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...-former-asada-boss-richard-ings-ng-b88423776z

He will be sacked Frankie no doubt about that.

Honest question to everyone...…..do you honestly think sacking him is going to change anything?

He will be replaced with somebody who isnt banned so it will change the list. And thats all Collingwood needs to consider. Its not the moral arbiter of anything beyond that.

Former ASADA boss Richard Ings has come out in defence of the West Coast Eagles in the wake of renewed claims of a tainted premiership.
Ings, who was in charge of the anti-doping authority from 2005 to 2010, said no Eagles players returned positive match-day tests during the 2006 season.
He told 3AW the grand final against the Sydney Swans was the most tested game of the year.
“There would have been a significant number of tests conducted on both teams after that grand final and there were no players who were tested who returned positive tests for any banned substance,” Ings said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...-former-asada-boss-richard-ings-ng-b88423776z
He would say that though wouldn’t he? Have they published any findings?

He will be replaced with somebody who isnt banned so it will change the list. And thats all Collingwood needs to consider. Its not the moral arbiter of anything beyond that.

You missed my point...….but I am not getting into a drug discussion with you again.........sorry Timmy.

As a Club we have learnt nothing.

We probably do same thing as we did with JT and Keeffe

No way Dave......he is finished at Collingwood if his second sample is positive.

Do we have any details of whether the positive test means that they think he actually was taking it on gameday? Or whether the test measured the standard 2-4 day window (assuming it was a urine test). Does the 2-4 day window count as 'matchday' under ASADA rules? If it doesn't, you'd think it wouldn't be too hard to argue that the substance wasn't ingested on matchday.

In any case, I wouldn't be against getting rid of him for getting high in the lead up to a match, that is just crazy behaviour

Remove this Banner Ad

Back