Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

In which case he might have a legal argument and avoid punishment. This is not an open and shut case as some are assuming.

Will depend on the letter and the spirit of the law and the findings as to when exactly this drug was taken and whether it could reasonably be assumed to not have had an effect on game day.

Club punishment/list management decisions are a seperate issue for later.
I think there is a chance that could mitigate the punishment but not the guilty charge. PED in your blood on matchday is your responsibility, doesnt matter when you took it is my understanding.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think there is a chance that could mitigate the punishment but not the guilty charge. PED in your blood on matchday is your responsibility, doesnt matter when you took it is my understanding.

Sounds that way. Jeremy Howe didnt say much but what he didnt say was pretty pointed. I think the club knows he is toast for at least the minimum (2 years) and that will almost certainly end his career, at least at Collingwood.

Hyakutake

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a little surprised at some of the stuff in this thread about conspiracies and media.

He was tested as part of a normal testing regime.

The time to provide the result from the A sample was about normal. It appears he was informed as per normal. Its not greatly surprising something leaked, and in this case appears to trace back to his home town, which is kind of normal, predictable and so on.

Nothing here is some great conspiracy, its banal, its exactly what would happen if a player was dumb enough to get on the gear too close to a game and didn't realise they could get caught and then told people. Its banal, its stupid, it doesn't need a conspiracy, and any self respecting media type would run with it if they could confirm the story. It's news, s**t its big news. How many times has it happened in the history of AFL? How many of those times are us? Given those two numbers, is it odd that it is both getting attention, and we come under scrutiny? If it were any other club with their third of these would we not be sticking the boot right in hard and proper?

If the charge is proven, nobody has done anything to our club in this case but Sam. Nobody has done anything to Sam but himself. Thats it, its all there is, and looking for others to blame makes the proponents sound as deluded as the hard right Liberal fanatics on Sky late at night.

We aren't victims, we are volunteers in this one, and if we want things to change, we would have to address that fairly blunt equation.

In which case he might have a legal argument and avoid punishment. This is not an open and shut case as some are assuming.

That argument didn’t help JT & Keeffe.

Despite them having no intent to ingest a PED, they copped the maximum penalty at the time.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
No big name players have tested positive on gameday.

I’m not talking about players testing positive on GameDay. I’m speaking generally.

The AFL knows about the big name players who do recreational drugs. They knew about Swanny, they know about Franklin, they knew about Cousins.

But when it’s the big names, it’s always kept under wraps. I find it unfair for players like Travis Tuck and Murray and Keefe and Thomas.

Very simple, goodbye and good riddance, same goes to any other player on the list. Zero tolerance.

Out of interest, what do you believe there should be zero tolerance of?

Breaking the code for PEDs? Or the implied taking of illicit substances?

Aug 18, 2010
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
That argument didn’t help JT & Keeffe.

Despite them having no intent to ingest a PED, they copped the maximum penalty at the time.

Different issue. The drug in their system was only considered a PED, there was only one possible scheme under which they could be punished. This drug is governed by a different policy except when taken on gameday, so the argument would be under which policy he should be judged.

It's a pretty rough penalty to potentially lose your career (if found guilty) over a positive recreational drug test.

This is not some off-season random drug test. Murray chose to do drugs before a game. Just a stupid decision.

I'm a little surprised at some of the stuff in this thread about conspiracies and media.

He was tested as part of a normal testing regime.

The time to provide the result from the A sample was about normal. It appears he was informed as per normal. Its not greatly surprising something leaked, and in this case appears to trace back to his home town, which is kind of normal, predictable and so on.

Nothing here is some great conspiracy, its banal, its exactly what would happen if a player was dumb enough to get on the gear too close to a game and didn't realise they could get caught and then told people. Its banal, its stupid, it doesn't need a conspiracy, and any self respecting media type would run with it if they could confirm the story. It's news, s**t its big news. How many times has it happened in the history of AFL? How many of those times are us? Given those two numbers, is it odd that it is both getting attention, and we come under scrutiny? If it were any other club with their third of these would we not be sticking the boot right in hard and proper?

If the charge is proven, nobody has done anything to our club in this case but Sam. Nobody has done anything to Sam but himself. Thats it, its all there is, and looking for others to blame makes the proponents sound as deluded as the hard right Liberal fanatics on Sky late at night.

We aren't victims, we are volunteers in this one, and if we want things to change, we would have to address that fairly blunt equation.
Why did the AFL break the story and then delete it from their website 5 minutes later?

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The terms “illicit”, “recreational” and and “PEDs” don’t apply. The only WADA term is Prohibited Substance. One list is “in competition”. The other is “outside of competition”. That’s that. The AFL’s illicit drugs policy is a different beast and is of no relevance here. So the talk of players going pos to “illicit” drugs in the off season is of no relevance.

Hope Sam is going ok. Terrible mistake. Massive penalty. And all you holier than thou types can GGF.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why did the AFL break the story and then delete it from their website 5 minutes later?
The article was changed from saying Afl media understands to Barrett understands. May have had something to do with the confidentiality provisions of the AFL Anti-doping policy.

Bored_Pie

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kane Cornes trying to tie this as a cultural issue and that it will derail our season...

Wish the bloke got knocked out. He's an absolute stain.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not talking about players testing positive on GameDay. I’m speaking generally.

The AFL knows about the big name players who do recreational drugs. They knew about Swanny, they know about Franklin, they knew about Cousins.

But when it’s the big names, it’s always kept under wraps. I find it unfair for players like Travis Tuck and Murray and Keefe and Thomas.

Tuck is the only one of those to actually have a third strike for illicit drugs. And his third strike was a freaking overdose!!!!

Murray Keeffe and Thomas are very different situations to your theoreticals on Franklin Cousins Swan etc.

Kane Cornes trying to tie this as a cultural issue and that it will derail our season...

Wish the bloke got knocked out. He's an absolute stain.
Agree with you in this. He’s a piece of crap.

Exclusive look at the meet-up of people posting in this thread:

HHbvt1D.jpg

Not so sure about that. Some of us had a great time in the 70s.:D

The article was changed from saying Afl media understands to Barrett understands. May have had something to do with the confidentiality provisions of the AFL Anti-doping policy.
It still stinks.

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Send a message....sack him and no payout.

Absolutely no excuses for this crap.

We don’t need to sack him. If found guilty his contract will be voided as all afl players have clauses in their contracts re drugs.

We just need to let this play out and then simply delist. Cut our losses and move on.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
The Murray story was initially first reported on the AFL website before being taken down for a period and McLachlan explained why that action was taken.

“It’s not a mistake, there’s independent journalists [at AFL Media],” McLachlan said.

“We weren’t aware of it clearly when it went up and the editorial team made that decision.

“It was taken down for a while ... my head of legal rang me early doors, and I said ring the head of the thing, and they pulled it down and changed the wording to satisfy the lawyers.

“But that’s what happens when you hire independent journalists.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-of-murray-investigation-20180824-p4zzjt.html

Aug 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a pretty rough penalty to potentially lose your career (if found guilty) over a positive recreational drug test.
Why? He turned up to work with drugs in his system. I would lose my job if I turned up with drugs in my system.

I’m tipping there’s more posters on this forum in the same situation. Players constantly tell us this is a work place. Work places have professional standards, I would imagine turning up to work drug free would be considered a professional standard and one that would be easy to adhere too.

Back