Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sugar kills more people than anything.
Very very true.
Time to rake CCA over the coals.

The sugar debate is a good one. The Liberal Government gave the beverage industry an out.
Instead of legislation to reduce the absurd levels of sugar in their individual product, they are allowed to average it out across the product range.
So no sugar water reduces the content of full strength Coca Cola.
Mates looking after mates.

If course I prefer that none of our players get exposed as druggies.
But as the majority of the posters here want Murray banished from the club for taking a simple recreational drug, I’m more than happy that this reinforces my view that those CONVICTED of consuming performance enhancing drugs should have never been welcomed back.
A lot of those posters have been in support of the performance enhancing druggies return.
Now they’ve flipped.
Popcorn time.
No there is a fundamental difference here. Sam seems to have gone down on the WADA match day system having knowingly taken a drug that was proscribed. Most people know if you take a proscribed drug on or hear match day you are dicing with a big sanction. He will get his penalty like Thomas and Keefe did and the club will support him and assess whether that support consists of keeping him on the list. As he may be facing 4 years that seems a little unlikely. I feel sorry for the kid even in his stupidity and I would say that majority of posters here are saddened by this day.

It's not a time for self satisfaction.

If course I prefer that none of our players get exposed as druggies.
But as the majority of the posters here want Murray banished from the club for taking a simple recreational drug, I’m more than happy that this reinforces my view that those CONVICTED of consuming performance enhancing drugs should have never been welcomed back.
A lot of those posters have been in support of the performance enhancing druggies return.
Now they’ve flipped.
Popcorn time.

Not really.

Sure, it’s well known that you have a puritanical attitude towards drug taking - as is your right. That has typically meant that you take every opportunity to have a crack at JT. Most folks (if any) don’t see it your way - JT did the crime, he’s done the time, so let’s move on.

In Murray’s case he’s possibly done the crime and he’s yet to do any time.

Different stages.

Possibly something along the lines of compassion for a kid who has done something stupid, likely not an attempt to cheat, but who will cop a massive penalty.
Comes with the territory of being an AFL footballer.

I feel zero compassion for him. The no recreational/performance enhancing drug rule is very basic rule to follow, you know, considering you get paid to do what you love.

Murray didn’t take the drug to cheat.
This may never be known.
Our, (my) assumption is he took it earlier and it was still in his system when he was tested.
I believe JT & Lachy were caught up in the illicit drug scene as was Sam.
Sam got done game day which makes a world of difference.

Murray didn’t take the drug to cheat.
Murray, like every AFL player, is given a lecture at the start of every pre season about illicit drugs, performance enhancing drugs and the responsibility of athletes in our competition to be responsible for everything they consume.
They know the consequences because they are reminded on a yearly basis.

No there is a fundamental difference here. Sam seems to have gone down on the WADA match day system having knowingly taken a drug that was proscribed. Most people know if you take a proscribed drug on or hear match day you are dicing with a big sanction. He will get his penalty like Thomas and Keefe did and the club will support him and assess whether that support consists of keeping him on the list. As he may be facing 4 years that seems a little unlikely. I feel sorry for the kid even in his stupidity and I would say that majority of posters here are saddened by this day.

It's not a time for self satisfaction.
Proscribed drug? What did he take?
I thought it was an illicit drug. Now I’m really confused.

Murray, like every AFL player, dips given a lecture at the start of every pre season about illicit drugs, performance enhancing drugs and the responsibility of athletes in our competition to be responsible for everything they consume.
They know the consequences because they are reminded on a yearly basis.
Explicit instruction does not always get through to long term memory. Trust me on this.

I understand that. But he didn’t take the drug to enhance his performance. He took it to feel good.
I think thats very likely but it would also appear he took it near match time and should have known the risk. Feel sorry for him if that's the case but its a really big mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any difference between what he did and what JT did ? I haven’t been keeping up with it today

Not really.

Both (allegedly) took illicit drugs.

One was laced with PED (JT)

The other was considered a PED on competition day (Murray)

Not much good looking back.
The drug policy is always chasing those who want to cheat.
And will also be so.
sideswipe is a student of these things and he could educate me. Lasse Virens 5000-10000 doubles were big news because both Olympics there were big spikes in his performance. He claimed the benefits of Reindeer milk others reckoned blood doping which may not have been illegal but was certainly questionable.

Morals. There is nothing wrong with Murray’s morals. He’s not a cheat.
He stuffed up though, and will probably pay a hefty price.
I suspect you will be right but there is the possibility he was doing it to stimulate performance thus knowingly cheating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back