Play Nice Sam Murray Under ASADA Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not too hard to point the finger at a poor Collingwood culture. Now potentially 3 players in recent years if Murray proven to have taken illicit substance. It can be just a few bad eggs but the club would be monitoring other players in his social circle.
Typical of the age group not the club culture.

He tested positive on gameday.
No report that he used on gameday.

It may not be relevant to ASADA's finding of guilt - but does make a big difference to the context of the story.

Still buzzing on game day. How much more context do you need.

It's a shame because Pies having SUCH AN UP YEAR AND SO HIGH ON THE LADDER.

If true there should be penalties against the club as well as the player.

Yes the club may not have endorsed or even known about it but if it gives the team an unfair advantage how is it fair for their opponents?

What those penalties are I don’t know, I assume there is an AFL policy? Can’t strip points from a lost game.
I wonder if stripping points from other games he played in is possible? Can that happen with no evidence of performance enhancement for those games? Integrity issue?

Definitely not something we need just before our first finals tilt in a while.

Worked out so well for Benny.

Indeed - works out the same for many individuals

But something like 60% have taken drugs. An absolute position of national abstinence is ridiculous.

However we are talking not only about criminality - we are talking about a career

There’s one thing risking the courts (albeit minor punishment) v losing your career

20 yr old made a mistake.

2+2=5 is a mistake.

This player would have attended meetings where the drug code would have been rammed down his throat. He knew he was doing something wrong, but did it anyway. A player taking cocaine with finals just around the corner isn't a mistake, it's negligence and stupidity.

2+2=5 is a mistake.

This player would have attended meetings where the drug code would have been rammed down his throat. He knew he was doing something wrong, but did it anyway. A player taking cocaine with finals just around the corner isn't a mistake, it's negligence and stupidity.
Yep , stupid , dumb , idiotic even which has derailed his career but it's not like he assaulted someone .
But as far as the negligence and stupidity , many a premiership team has partied to the dream .
Not saying it is right but have a look through the last 10 years premiers .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2+2=5 is a mistake.

You would have thought that after the last few years every player is aware?

they cut with clen and other stuff to make more money?
pretty obvious isnt it? clen cost a sh@tload less then coke does.

You're not wrong, I just find it much less likely that they had clen in their coke (would that really be your first option for cutting cocaine? I doubt it) than getting pinged for actually using clen. I had a look at some match photos from the time that the two of them apparently got unlucky and Josh Thomas was extremely lean, if he stepped on stage at a natural bodybuilding competition at the time that he did coke that was laced with clenbuterol, he'd smoke the competition. Seems pretty likely to me that Magpies with their influence in the media spun it hard, and the media being invested along with the AFL in selling the image of the AFL as a clean competition, let it die fairly quickly. Jon Ralph in his article on Murray referred to Collingwood's explanation as fact. If someone blew the whistle on use of drugs of all kinds in footy and could prove it, it'd be a disaster for the league. As pointed out earlier in this thread, this news has been intentionally buried underneath the events in parliament this week

Yeah and with the Richmond players’ links to bikies, they probably just deal the s**t.
and didak rode in a car with a boy scout?
oh wait, that's right, it was an armed crim who murdered someone a few days later

20 yr old made a mistake , unlucky compared to Whitfield who had a chance to bunker down .
Let's not point the finger , all clubs have many drug users be it players , coaches , CEO's .
The AFL industry is absolutely powdered to the gills , let's not hang the kid , shaming punishment is severe enough .
enough with the 'mistake' bullshit
he knew exactly what he was doing

I have no idea why this is being spun up into a tornado and none of the other 100s of AFL players that use drugs flat out arent called out.

Ive personally seen more afl players off their heads on narcorics than i can count on my hands, both during season and off season and ive also seen and heard of current afl players being heavily involved in drug trafficking. Media and the AFL turn a blind eye constantly and then randomly go down hard on a bloke every so often. Disgusting.

These are young blokes with more money than they know what to do with, hanging out in a boys club culture that encourages pushing the limits of substance abuse. Local footy clubs all around the country are a classic example of this.

Just because someones an AFL player doesent take away their innate desire to do dumb stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back