2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you mean who in the named goal scorers and best are Swans boys? If so, yep, Swans boys from the 17s in those names include:
Josh Rayner
Jacko Barling
Sam Thorne
Luke Parks

From the 16s:
Errol Gulden
Sam Eynaud
Cooper Wilson
Pierce Roseby
Hamish Dunstan
Mark Dignam
Kyle Pfrengle
Kale Gabriela

Thanks. Gulden and Rayner kicked bags each. What sort of players are they?

Thanks. Gulden and Rayner kicked bags each. What sort of players are they?
Josh Rayner is a Willoughby Wildcats and now North Shore Bombers boy. He got in the AIS Academy this year and consequently is in the Allies squad. He usually plays as CHB and likes to float across the half-back line taking intercept marks. His man on man play varies a bit. I’ve seen him dominate against class opposition on occasion but also get well beaten on others. His kicking is usually pretty good, certainly gets good distance and is a fairly good user but could do a little better selecting the best target. He does sometimes play as a forward where his marking and long kicking is valuable and he can kick a nice goal. Certainly in the top handful of boys in our Under 17s.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about Gulden as there’s only a few U16s that I’ve seen much of. Maybe some others on here know more about him.

Just a bit of news on one of our academy players. I care more than most probably because I coached him a couple of years back, but he's a great guy and a gun. Lachlan Price from the Cardiff Hawks won the rising star award in the Black diamond competition, placed tenth in the league B&F, and will be eligible for the draft next year I believe.
The reason it's impressive is that he's not the typical style young player to impress in seniors.
Usually you see early developers, who can match it physically with grown men playing senior football, but I would say Lachlan would be lucky to tip the scales at 60kg. What he has is blistering pace and footy smarts. Against kids his own age he would dominate in the midfield to the point where at times as his coach I would move him to a forward pocket to try and stop him destroying other teams single handedly, at which point he would often kick three or four goals in a quarter. The big question mark has always been his size and whether he would ever be big enough to compete physically, so it's very promising to see him acquitting himself so well against grown men.

For reference, as far as I can ascertain Henney won the "outstanding young footballer" award in the same leagu at the same age, then just missed out on winning the league B&F the following year (only played 6 games though) before the Swans drafted him, so it will be interesting to see if Lachlan can lift to the next level in the same way.

Last edited:
Just a bit of news on one of our academy players. I care more than most probably because I coached him a couple of years back, but he's a great guy and a gun. Lachlan Price from the Cardiff Hawks won the rising star award in the Black diamond competition, placed tenth in the league B&F, and will be eligible for the draft next year I believe.
The reason it's impressive is that he's not the typical style young player to impress in seniors.
Usually you see early developers, who can match it physically with grown men playing senior football, but I would say Lachlan would be lucky to tip the scales at 60kg. What he has is blistering pace and footy smarts. Against kids his own age he would dominate in the midfield to the point where at times as his coach I would move him to a forward pocket to try and stop him destroying other teams single handedly, at which point he would often kick three or four goals in a quarter. The big question mark has always been his size and whether he would ever be big enough to compete physically, so it's very promising to see him acquitting himself so well against grown men.

For reference, as far as I can ascertain Henney won the "outstanding young footballer" award in the same leagu at the same age, then just missed out on winning the league B&F the following year (only played 6 games though) before the Swans drafted him, so it will be interesting to see if Lachlan can lift to the next level in the same way.

He sounds promising. How tall is he? If he is above 175cm you would think he would have a real chance of being drafted, even under that he would be worth considering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard the SEN interview. Among other things he reflected on playing with Heeney and mentioned that he showed Isaac's mark of the year to Seahawks team mates. They were suitably stunned.

Our academy is now also an NFL punter factory.
https://thebrag.com/aussie-nfl-seattle-seahawks/
Michael Dickson is punting it 61 yards and he can tackle!

“He has turned the most mundane act in football into performance art,” the Times wrote.
Dickson leads the NFL in net average with 48.1 yards per punt in the pre-season but it is also what he does with ball in the air, the placement and ability to control how a pointy NFL ball will bounce.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/au...l/news-story/355d1c5d8262e9c55952be3551ce64be

Michael Dickson is punting it 61 yards and he can tackle!

“He has turned the most mundane act in football into performance art,” the Times wrote.
Dickson leads the NFL in net average with 48.1 yards per punt in the pre-season but it is also what he does with ball in the air, the placement and ability to control how a pointy NFL ball will bounce.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/au...l/news-story/355d1c5d8262e9c55952be3551ce64be

Easily the highest paid and highest profile player to ever come out of our academy! Well done to him

Josh Rayner is a Willoughby Wildcats and now North Shore Bombers boy. He got in the AIS Academy this year and consequently is in the Allies squad. He usually plays as CHB and likes to float across the half-back line taking intercept marks. His man on man play varies a bit. I’ve seen him dominate against class opposition on occasion but also get well beaten on others. His kicking is usually pretty good, certainly gets good distance and is a fairly good user but could do a little better selecting the best target. He does sometimes play as a forward where his marking and long kicking is valuable and he can kick a nice goal. Certainly in the top handful of boys in our Under 17s.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about Gulden as there’s only a few U16s that I’ve seen much of. Maybe some others on here know more about him.
Congratulations 32. Joshua Rayner (Swans Academy) selected in U17 curtain raiser to the grand final
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-04/teams-named-for-u17-futures-gf-curtainraiser
PS the only Swans Academy player

I note that Lachlan is a good player.
But can you really compare him to Aidan Watling for speed and accuracy? Reed Van Husteid for size, skill and tank? Not to mention the Grand Final medal winner.
Lachlan Baliss from the Panthers will out run and out skill him.
All boys missed most of the BDAFL games due to rep honours.
Ky McGrath's tank, game sense and ferocious defence was also missed due to a broken collar bone and u17 Rams games.
Lachlan is a talented player, but you would seriously consider putting him in front of these BDAFL under 17 Swans Academy players??

But can you really compare him to Aidan Watling for speed and accuracy? Reed Van Husteid for size, skill and tank? Not to mention the Grand Final medal winner.
Ky McGrath's tank, game sense and ferocious defence was also missed due to a broken collar bone and u17 Rams games.
Lachlan is a talented player, but you would seriously consider putting him in front of these BDAFL under 17 Swans Academy players??

I don't think he did. I think he alerted the board to a young prospect who it's worth keeping an eye on, with some background.

I'm grateful for that.

I'd also be grateful for some more detail on these players you mention to get me through these dark times (finals where we're not in it).

I don't know, I don't know those boys, they sound like quality players to me from what you say, and like Bruce I'm keen to hear more about them.
All I have to go on (having been overseas all year) is the best and fairest results. I note that Aiden Watling finished equal 92nd in the voting (1 vote), the same as Lachlan Bayliss, which is one vote more than Reed Van Husteid. I don't know how many games each of them played, and I wasn't there to watch it, but obviously the umpires had their own views. Given they are bigger / faster / fitter / more skilled than Price though it's disappointing they couldn't impress more.
Having checked the numbers for this exercise though I do need to correct myself, Lachlan Price finished 13th with 12 votes, one vote off a top 10 finish (which is where I incorrectly had him placed in my original post).

I don't know, I don't know those boys, they sound like quality players to me from what you say, and like Bruce I'm keen to hear more about them.
All I have to go on (having been overseas all year) is the best and fairest results. I note that Aiden Watling finished equal 92nd in the voting (1 vote), the same as Lachlan Bayliss, which is one vote more than Reed Van Husteid. I don't know how many games each of them played, and I wasn't there to watch it, but obviously the umpires had their own views. Given they are bigger / faster / fitter / more skilled than Price though it's disappointing they couldn't impress more.
Having checked the numbers for this exercise though I do need to correct myself, Lachlan Price finished 13th with 12 votes, one vote off a top 10 finish (which is where I incorrectly had him placed in my original post).
Fair call.
My point wasn't derogatory to Lachie.
I too, rate him.
I was simply pointing out that there are 4 players who played very little BDAFL, and are the same age as him, but stats dont take into account the u18 div 2 games they played, nor the u17 futures games, nor the NEAFL games they have all played except Lachie Baliss.
I realise that being a NSW kid in a southern dominated scene is hard, but being from a League town is even harder.
I applaud any effort to get kids noticed, and you should keep an eye on these 3 boys from the Newcastle area, as well as Lachie Price.
As I said, Van Husteid was best on ground in BDAFL GF, Watling was 2nd best on ground, and while McGrath didn't play due to dogs being beaten by Terrigal, he was called into the NEAFL side for the prelim finals.
The u17s Academy squad have been described as having the most depth of any that has been through, and to have 3 Newy boys performing and being selected in top grade footy stands the area in good stead!
Again, keep a close eye on this space. They are real prospects.
I hope Lachie can again move into top end with great results at the end of the year.
4 is always better than 3 ;)
Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back