Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Win tomorrow and it's home to Melbourne not Cats (Cats smashing of Gold Coast put them above Melbourne on percentage). So, easy call, win & play Melbourne at home next week.
Two weeks (there's a bye) but yeah, no brainer. I'll be there, head in hands over umpiring I'm sure.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

dlanod you must be feeling good.

Some good players wanting into the Lions.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Surprised about this with the rumours about him wanting to go back to WA he could be a risk but maybe it is more about career opportunities with the Lions offering him greater opportunity
But a good get either way and hopefully he has a better run with injury than the last few years

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Apparently
Lions with Port: 5 + Mayes, get: 6 + 35 + Future 3rd - Not sure the Lions took full advantage of the desperate nature of Port.

Essentially 35 + future 3rd for Mayes (Bris to pay for part of his salary) + downgrade of 5 to 6.

Dont think it really affects us that much considering 5/6 was unlikely going to be on the table for Lobb + 14.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Melbourne get May and Kolodjashnij. Seriously good gets for a seriously competitive team next year.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, Demons looking really strong next year. Don't think they'll miss Hogan at all.

For all our (incuding my) angst over our list losses, and not wanting to throw rocks at Gold Coast, but their losses are pretty significant ...

Suns chumps.PNG

Tom Lynch moved to Richmond as a free agent this year
Kade Kolodjashnij and Steven May were traded to Melbourne
Aaron Hall was traded to North Melbourne
Adam Saad was traded to Essendon
Gary Ablett was traded to Geelong
Brandon Matera was traded to Fremantle
Charlie Dixon was traded to Port Adelaide

i.e. 8 of the top-10 from Gold Coast's 2015 best and fairest have since left the club.

GWS's top 10 were:

1st: Heath Shaw (117 votes)
2nd: Adam Treloar (98)
3rd: Callan Ward (91)
4th: Jeremy Cameron (82)
5th: Stephen Coniglio (75)
6th: Devon Smith (73)
7th: Dylan Shiel (72)
8th: Ryan Griffen (64)
9th: Shane Mumford (60)
10th: Toby Greene (59)
10th: Nick Haynes (59)

So, in comparison:
2018 - 1 retired, 1 likely to be traded
2017 - 1 retired, 1 traded
2015 - 1 traded

Last edited:

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Melbourne get May and Kolodjashnij. Seriously good gets for a seriously competitive team next year.
Cant see many weaknesses in their starting 22

Lever O.McDonald Jetta
Salem May Hibberd
Vandenberg Jones Brayshaw
Petracca Weidermann Melksham
Garlett T. McDonald Fritsch
Gawn Oliver Viney
Kolodjashnij Harmes Lewis Spargo

Also Hannan, Hunt, etc.

Probably other players I have missed...Very intimidating side to face next year.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Too many guns? Can't play as a team without role players! o_O
hahaha not wrong! though I would argue Jetta, Hibberd, Vandenberg, Melksham, Harmes, Fritsch, Garlett etc. are their role players. Albeit very good role players...Will take some time to find holes in that team but unpredictable things like injuries can tear a side apart.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
hahaha not wrong! though I would argue Jetta, Hibberd, Vandenberg, Melksham, Harmes, Fritsch, Garlett etc. are their role players. Albeit very good role players...Will take some time to find holes in that team but unpredictable things like injuries can tear a side apart.
They have great prospects, but they face the big risk all clubs do. That someone else will be better. Next year it just could be us that puts it all together.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
This year’s trade merry-go-round winner : Pick 6

Started at Freo - went (with a 2019 4th rounder) to Port Adelaide for picks 11, 23, 30 & 49

Then went to Brisbane (with pick 35 & a 2019 3rd rounder) for Sam Mayes and pick 5

Then went back to Freo (with picks 19 & 55) for Lachie Neale & pick 30

Then went to Melbourne (with pick 23) for Jesse Hogan and pick 65

And finally ended up at the Gold Coast for Steven May and Kade Kolodjashnij

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Although GC have had players pillaged over the last few years I think they could have done the best deal of the week with trading

GC give up
#19 + 2019 2nd + 2019 3rd Hawthorn
GC Receive
2019 1st Brisbane

I would say a pick in the 6-10 range and an opportunity for another top 10 talent next year

Back