Play Nice Sam Murray Under ASADA Investigation

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Because he did not test positive. There was no test to avoid

There was no positive test because he hid from testers.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/la...r/news-story/a12e8271f3ab41ffe8c3f4df98f03d64

Pretty obvious Whitfield did coke regardless of what the GF had to say.

Absolutely no way Whitfield would 'negotiate' to accept a 6 month ban if he was a clean skin. Just no way.

Whitfield missed the first 7 games in 2017.
No way he does that for no reason.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-greater-western-sydney-giants--lachie-whitfield?year=2017

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Murray's an idiot for using coke, and even more of an idiot for getting caught. I think if he was more important they might have tried to hush it up (like the AFL did for years with Bomber Thompson at Geelong), but since the sordid Essendon business ASADA might have actually tightened up, maybe they wouldn't get away with it these days.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-24/decision-imminent-on-gws-penalties-over-whitfield-affair

"...an incident last year where Allan and Lambert arranged for Whitfield to stay at Lambert's house in order to avoid the possibility of a drug test out of fear he may fail it."

BPikkers is spot on, not sure where you pulled your version of events from. Whitfield took drugs, and then failed to present for a possible test because of "personal issues" which were made up.
No BPikkers said he was supposed to be tested. That’s not true as there was no test they did not attend the club. No testers here. Assume away

Stumpy Pete

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2003
At the Butterfly Ball
AFL Club
Collingwood
No BPikkers said he was supposed to be tested. That’s not true as there was no test they did not attend the club. No testers here. Assume away

My understandig is that Whitfield had filed a whereabouts form which suggests he was in the registered testing pool, thereby increasing his chances of being randomly tested. It is worth noting that it may have been the club, not the player, facing penalties as, for team sports, clubs are responsible for providing whereabouts information.

I encourage you to read this and see if you concur. https://www.asada.gov.au/anti-doping-programmes/whereabouts

Regards

S. Pete

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Can I ask then why club and player were penalised? Regardless on how you want to spin it, the intention was for Whitfield to avoid any possible testing. If that was not the intention, he wouldn’t have been suspended, the club wouldn’t have been penalised and Gubby Allan wouldn’t have been given 12 months off from the AFL for assisting him in avoiding a possible test.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Feel real sorry for Sam Murray.
The dude is only 20 years old. A young fella from the country. Just at the start of his career.
A bit harsh if he cops 4 years for snorting a bit of coke.
I know there should be a punishment but sheesh. I think 12 months is fair in this kind of case.

The rules are very clear and all players are educated. Dozens of players must get away with taking coke and not having it in their systems on match day, can't be too hard.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Yes my man, always up for chipping in for some baggies over here!

I get how it all works, still find it suss though.
He didn't say that all mate. He said it doesn't matter if the club knew or not, and he's right.

Imagine losing a grand final where it's later found five members of the opposite team had all taken "recreational but also performance enhancing drugs" before a game. Club didn't know, so no penalties apply. Sounds s**t.

Wasn't said but it was speculated that it might be. That's just ridiculous to suggest that the highest profile sporting club in the country "may" have known and ignored it.

Also how do you know Murray took the substance on game day? Highly likely it was previous.

Also how much effect would it have if he had used in the previous days? The same as taking it just before the match? Highly unlikely.

Not sure if you are or not suggesting that taking a substance 2 or 3 days earlier than match day gives you enhanced performance is speculation at best and certainly drawing a long bow.

And you wanna sanction the club for something that they highly likely did not know about. How about we just sanction every club because of the likelihood.

It is fact that marijuana stays in your system for weeks if not months, so a month down the track after the last puff are you still stoned? Only if you think so.
C'mon mate time to take a reality pill.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The rules are very clear and all players are educated. Dozens of players must get away with taking coke and not having it in their systems on match day, can't be too hard.
Doesnt mean I cant think the rules are harsh.
If it is actual PH cheating - sure throw the book at them.
I also think his young age is a factor.
If it it is a senior player then stuff them.

Seems a bit off that lack of personal discipline is deemed to be the same as deliberate cheating.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Doesnt mean I cant think the rules are harsh.
If it is actual PH cheating - sure throw the book at them.
I also think his young age is a factor.
If it it is a senior player then stuff them.
They are very harsh. Yet the players know that and so it's even more stupid if you break those very rules....

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
They are very harsh. Yet the players know that and so it's even more stupid if you break those very rules....
Yeah the AFL are "goody two-shoes" about party drugs but as you say every player knows the rules.

Its a shame but I'd hate to see this argued down to a warning, or an attempt to sweep it under the carpet by the AFL like the Essendon thing.

gappa

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are you on drugs? Are you seriously questioning that there is a possibility that the club knew and endorsed this behaviour?

You do know that clubs are not informed of positive tests of their players until the 3rd strike right? In this particular case you do know that the club only learnt of the positive result late last week right?

To suggest that the club could possibly condone or turn a blind eye to this is absurd and frankly insulting.

Umm that’s exactly what I said???

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whitfield didnt skip an ASADA test. He had a coke fuelled paranoia attack and felt he was going to get tested so the club appeased him by hiding him.

Then proceeded to not inform the AFL.

ASADA had no interest in him which is why the AFL chose the penalties.

In this case someone stupidly took a drug which is considered game day performance enhancing and is in a lot of trouble.

gappa

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah nah, you questioned whether or not the club knew or even condoned it.

Nope just saying that even if they didn’t (why would the club condone cocaine use???) it’s still not fair on the opposition if one of our players performance was enhanced.

If it was an opposition club and it turned out one of their players was on PEDs when they played us I would be rightly upset regardless if their club knew/sanctioned it. It’s still an unfair advantage.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Nope just saying that even if they didn’t (why would the club condone cocaine use???) it’s still not fair on the opposition if one of our players performance was enhanced.

So I gather from that you want the club sanctioned even though the incident was completely out of their control and knowledge. If that's the case we could sanction all clubs because it's a likely assumption that there are players on coce on every list. Don't be so naive.

Also if you do your research you would've learnt that Murray did not use on game day but tested positive on game day, so to suggest he was still under the influence and therefore still "enhanced" 2 or 3 days later is speculation at best. Marijuana stays in your system for weeks or months, do ya reckon a month after punchin a cone you're still stoned? Obviously not.

Also I originally replied to your post that gave the impression that you weren't certain one way or the other whether or not the club knew, of course they didn't know!

Next time word your posts more definitively.

gappa

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unfortunately in a team sport the team can be let down by an individual.

I don’t know about the performance enhancing properties of cocaine. I assume that’s part of the ASADA investigation, determining when, how much, intent etc. Do you know if that mitigates the finding?

Back