Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow Buzzasto DaSilva that sounds frightening. Also ran Boston and you’re right, it was as close to a blizzard as I’ve ever run in. Freezing freezing cold, rain that was either torrential or very heavy and enormous headwinds almost blowing you backwards. I was just happy to finish! The Wellesley girls were amazing with their support and kiss requests, the volunteers awesome (the girl at the end who put on my thermal blanket was a life saver, and she asked me where in australia I was from, and she reckons Melbournians are the best people as she has friends from there ) and the nice bling.

Nice Aussie Joe

I imagine it's a fairly hilly place to run in general over there.

Yeah how good is that result for Farah? 2.06 mara - wow huge. And Kipchoge is just a legend.

I have the 13.5km Puffing Billy run against the train in the Dandenongs this Sunday. Never done that before so looking forward to it.

Beyond that I have Wonderland 20km trail run in August and just entered the Melbourne Marathon last week (October). Will be my second mara after doing Melbourne in 2016. Hoping I can make a considerable improvement.

Did the 20km Skyrun at Bright at last week's Buffalo Stampede. That was an eye opener. Love the trails but my knees don't manage the steep and slippery descents well at all. Outside of Wonderland I think I'll concentrate on road running for a bit to give the knees a break.

Good luck with all this mate, you’re in cracking form!

Yeah, Canberra was a disaster for me.

I went in with a few niggles and had barely run in the 3 weeks prior. Anyway, I decided to give my first marathon a crack and it starter off well enough. I went through half way in about 1.26 and was on track for sub 2.55 when my leg started to play up and I came to a grounding halt at the 30k mark. After a day in hospital, a wheel chair through the airport, xrays and MRIs it looks life I have a stress reaction in my right femur. That's the same injury I had in my left leg after Melb half in 2016 when I was kept out for 3 months.

After having such high hopes for 2018, including my first marathon, the injury is a major disappointment and clearly I'll need some further investigations to check bone density etc as I shouldn't be coping these stress related injuries so often.

Anyway, hope everyone else is on track. Sounds like some great events coming up - I'll be there in spirit!

Hopefully you weren't like those who were in the 50km who were sent the wrong way after 4km. I went an extra 1.5km but others ran up to 6km! Finished in 5:39 which if not for the detour and the winds could have easily been 5:25. Still everything reasonably on track for Comrades in 39 days. Got Wings for Life this Sunday Night which will be for me likely be a one off just to see what it's like, then another 2 reasonably hard weeks on the track before easing up.

Ive signed up to do the 30km at Mt.Macedon trail run in about a months time. i did most of the middle section of the course today (about 14km of a section i hadnt run before), and oh s**t i am gonna be in a world of pain come race day.

Not sure if its a good or bad thing that im now familiar with what ill be up against!

w00t! my first ever 100 kilometre week, 103 to be exact. its not something i was really aiming for and i've hit high 90's a few times before but its still nice to see it roll over into 3 figures.
mileage came from 6 runs total that included...
- 34k long run
- 6 x 1k with 2 minute recovery
- 20 x 1 minute on, one minute off (this was a lot harder than i thought it would be)
- the rest of it was just jogging
not a lot of quality in there but i'm old and the faster i run the faster my body falls apart.

i had to write off October through to April this year due to achilles related problems (tendon in one leg, bursa in the other) so i'm slowly getting back to where i was. the endurance is just about there but the speed side of things needs more work.

i hope things are tracking well for everyone running Melbourne. not long now until the taper starts.

happy trails everyone.

i hope things are tracking well for everyone running Melbourne. not long now until the taper starts.

happy trails everyone.

Melbourne prep was going OK, or at least better than previous years, until a planned 20km run was curtailed by a spill and nasty loss of skin on the right knee. Case of strap it up and get back on the bike tomorrow.

Doing a very short backup too as I'm also doing Auckland a fortnight later. Basically hoping to use either to get back to Comrades to try to get that elusive finishers medal (got to 66km this year, time had expired to reach the cutoff at 69km. I cried).

Geez - haven’t visited this thread in a while. Lots has happened since my last post!

Got really fit. Was ready to attempt a 64min half Mara. Moved to the other side of the world. Got out of routine. Since then have run the best part of 40-50km/week max.

Started running just to explore and doing a fair bit of trx work to keep trim - ended up putting on a bit of muscle and now it feels weird as I’m used to being a lean distance runner.

This last 3 weeks I’ve run twice, but riding to work every day around 20km in total - so around 100km a week. Starting to feel strong on a bike - is this what happens when you turn the wrong side of 30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is this what happens when you turn the wrong side of 30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. I've just turned 45 and have never run more. Just clocked my first 400km month in August and have done close to 2700km for the year (which is already my largest ever and surpassed the goal for the year).

Have set 5 & 10km PBs this year even though the majority of the training has been based around tagging along my run buddies GOR Mara (April) and GOW 100 (October) training plans. Haven't managed to squeeze in a competitive half mara but I'm sure I could do a PB there and go sub 90 minutes for the first time. I'll pencil that in as a goal for 2019.

In the final few weeks lead up to Melb mara now. One only previous mara at Melbourne in 2016 where I went about 3hr 40min. Hoping to eclipse that this year. Under 3hr20min would be great but hoping to be closer to 3hr10min.

Beyond that 56k at Two Bays in January to break my ultra virginity.

Running gets better at 40! Just turned 50 myself, but had PBs as a 49 year old (5km @18:39, full mara @ 2:58, and 100k @ 10:50). Maybe it is having a bit more free time to train properly and less of the worries a 20/30 year old has, dunno. Looking forward to being a 3:30 official pacer at this years Melb Mara, nice change from racing it. Then Hut 2 Hut 100k in Feb and UTA 100k in May.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome Jonnoo ... sub 3hr mara is fantastic. I don't have it in me for Melbourne but the fact I think it might be achievable in the next year or so is amazing to me. May or may not got there but I remember busting my ass not that long ago trying to break 20:00 for 5km. Now I've run an 18:30 - 5km (and plenty of sub 20s and sub 19s along the way) and a 39:00 - 10km.

It's amazing how much you get back and where you can get to if you put the work in.

Agree MB, and I reckon you have a sub 3 in you this year for sure at MM. Your strava efforts have been unbelievable in 2018. Positive mindset is a massive part of getting sub 3... Yep you can't hide in a marathon, your result absolutely reflects the training put in.

Did my first marathon at Sydney last week in a time of 4h41m. Estimated about 4h30m so still really happy with the time and at the end the day, my goal was to finish.

I was cramping up for about the last 12kms so the back end was a real grind. Learnt a lot from the experience and it's given me a lot to think about re: preparation.

Did my first marathon at Sydney last week in a time of 4h41m. Estimated about 4h30m so still really happy with the time and at the end the day, my goal was to finish.

I was cramping up for about the last 12kms so the back end was a real grind. Learnt a lot from the experience and it's given me a lot to think about re: preparation.

Congrats mate!

How does one increase distance? I can easily do the tan plus some more but my desire after 5km just stops.

I also get incredibly tight calves which gets me wanting to stop early.

How does one increase distance? I can easily do the tan plus some more but my desire after 5km just stops.

I also get incredibly tight calves which gets me wanting to stop early.

Add distance gradually.... 1-2km at a time. If motivation is an issue try different routes or some trails or find some people/group to run with. Much easier to get through some longer kms with some company. Once you start following others on Strava too it can also be motivating seeing what is achievable and seeing what other routes/programs people are doing.

Did Sydney Mara too. Great fun with a few mates. Really enjoyed running with a mate for the race who got an 11 minute PB after 8 attempts to go sub 3:30. I went into the race a little under done & have been carrying a niggle in my knee for a few months now. Think it might have caught up with me & hoping not to be slowed down for too long.
Struggling with the work/life balance at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back