Autopsy Rnd 23 - The nightmare is over. Bring on trades & draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the need to be patient but all the green shoots are for nothing if there's no structure or gameplan coming from the top.

Even without a clean bill of health it doesn't excuse the fact that we have been completely destroyed in at least six games this year. That shouldn't happen if you have a coach who can adapt.

Not bad huh!

We had a great view of this grab. Silvagni was running in a straight line towards us. He had one of those footballer moments. As he started his run towards the contest it was about punching the ball away then just before he launched he thought “* this, I’m taking a hanger”. Thanks Jack for this highlight in a dismal night.

What should we do. Kick the dog. Slash our wrists?
That wont change anything. And as its the last game there is only hope for next year.
So who would you get as coach? Sack them all? Delist 20?
Or deal with the reality and keep a smile for the future? And celebrate the growth of young players and some forwards starting to show a bit.
44 more games these youth need. And we must get some that can play and already have those 44 plus games in them. That is very difficult and a snap of the fingers just wont do it.
The coach and List manager have said that repeatedly.
I seem to remember the club banging on about a ‘66 game rebuild’. Well those 66 games have now passed and we are in a far worse position than when we started.

The season is now over Soapy and i cant cop this anymore.
Rowe is absolutely finished at AFL level and must be farewelled.
We have Marchbank Weitering Plowman Jones and Macreadie on the list.
We will draft B.Silvagni and possibly trade for McGovern along with the option of taking Collins with a special assistance PP.
Rowe might be a lovely fella and all the rest of it but his time as a CFC player must surely have come.
Thankyou for your efforts Sam ,
Goodbye and good luck.

After losing ASOS to retirement, I have no real issue with a one year deal for him. Leader in the two's with Daisy. Neither should be walk up starts in the best 22 in 2019. We have to move on now. Murphy is also a question mark for me at the moment as best 22 next year.

I seem to remember the club banging on about a ‘66 game rebuild’. Well those 66 games have now passed and we are in a far worse position than when we started.

No, we’re not - rebuilt the list to actually have some young talent with potential to build from.
See what happens this off-season and then consolidate into playing a decent standard at AFL level.

That's just as worrying but in a different way.

All year we've shown in many games a complete lack of cohesion and players clearly not understanding what they're supposed to do in their role in the structure/gameplan.

It hasn't really improved at any point this year. This concerns me about our coaching group.

Yeah we have quite a lot of kids, but we still shouldn't be getting pumped by 100 points and 10+ goals this year so regularly.

Im less concerned about structure and game plan than I am about what seems to be a very worrying lack of basic skills levels of a lot of the list. I have been banging on about basic skill errors all season long. It is a serious concern IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im less concerned about structure and game plan than I am about what seems to be a very worrying lack of basic skills levels of a lot of the list. I have been banging on about basic skill errors all season long. It is a serious concern IMO.

Agreed. Many - dare I say most - of those that played for us this year would struggle to enact any gameplan due to lacking in the fundamental basics of getting the ball from A to B - and structures suffer as a result as well.

No amount of these sought-after 23-27 year-olds are going to address this unless they also happen to significantly improve our skill level. Skilled 18-19 year-olds from the draft would be of more benefit than bringing in more Kerridges, Mulletts and O'Sheas simply because they address the age imbalance.

I can’t believe the positivity in this thread.

We lost by 104 points to a team which had as much to play for as us.

Disgraceful effort and Bolton, Murphy and any other leaders at the club (bar Cripps) should be absolutely ashamed

It was clear halfway through the first quarter that half the team was simply going through the motions.

Agree, we can’t fit all our talls in the one backline, next year best backline would be:

Simmo, Jones, Marchy
Byrne, Weiters, Docherty

Willo is also in that mix, but just want him out on the park whatever! A battle b/w him and Byrne for that other hbf’er role.

Plowman, Macreadie are depth, and pretty useful depth at that. Re Plow, I think I read he played quite often as a mid in juniors, so why not try and convert him into one? Bigger body mids are what we desperately need! He can find the footy ok.

That's a nope for me in 2019.

No, we’re not - rebuilt the list to actually have some young talent with potential to build from.
See what happens this off-season and then consolidate into playing a decent standard at AFL level.
But minimum another 8 changes to go which I think will should happen

Awful end to an an awful year. In my time following footy I’ve never wanted a season to end so badly as I have this year. Richmond and Collingwood being in the top 4 certainly hasn’t helped.

Last night summed up the season. Deplorable skills, missed defensive assignments and opponents waltzing into goals as a result. Couple of positives but that’s it.

If we don’t start showing improvement in the skills department next year I’m going to be seriously concerned. AFL players should not be missing handballs and kicks to teammates close by as often as we do.

From my point of view the backline seemed more organised as the year went on, it was just poor skill errors that completely screw us time and time again.

Last edited:
Not the result but the way in which we lost last night is squarely on the coaches, and probably has been for most of the season.

Last year we were defensive in our game, but we stood for something and the players knew what their job was, we could clearly see the "growth in the team". This year, instead of incrementally introducing an attacking strategy we've implemented a confusing zone that the players clearly weren't ready for and when that didn't work we'd throw numbers behind the ball. The only growth I've seen has been individual contributors and that doesn't translate to team performance.

We had 7 more inside 50's than the Crows and lost by 104 points. I lost count the amount of times Cripps won a centre clearance, sending the ball forward to an empty Carlton forward line or our lone forward outnumbered 3 on 1. I know the injured players would have made a difference and given us more continuity, but we had an awful run with injuries all season and we should have adapted the game plan accordingly.

I'd love to see a Carlton side in 2019 in which it's obvious to point out what we stand for and what our strategy is.

After losing ASOS to retirement, I have no real issue with a one year deal for him. Leader in the two's with Daisy. Neither should be walk up starts in the best 22 in 2019. We have to move on now. Murphy is also a question mark for me at the moment as best 22 next year.
To early to strike out Murphy until we know what's happening with his foot and ankle. Wouldn't be be surprised to see a very different Murphy next season after he's had some time to recover.

Agree and has been for years its a constant at the CFC .
We seem to either recruit players with poor skills or develop them very poorly .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back