Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think McKay would be happy rotting in the 2s knowing he is good enough?

What about 2020?

Doedee stepped straight into levers shoes and hasnt missed a beat, but our kpds need 3 years of vfl lol

I just dont get it. Thommo has been a warrior for the club, it's time to go get his pension from the GC or Carltank.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Again, you're saying this like you know he won't play at all next year.

Playing Thompson means McKay another year in VFL. You want to lose him like Preuss?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Majak go up forward, BBB take on Waite's role and McKay slot down back in Majaks spot.

Again, you're saying this like you know he won't play at all next year.
How many games did he play this year bud?

Oh, that's right. * all.

Tipping history is on my side when it comes to Scott's and picking veterans over inexperience. You must be banking on a couple of kpd getting injured...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d like to see Thompson given a defensive coaching role next year. Very smart footballer and great shinboner.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Majak go up forward, BBB take on Waite's role and McKay slot down back in Majaks spot.

Don't mind this at all - Maj and BMac can play swing roles where needed, including ruck chop-outs.

EVW returning stabilises the back 6 and Marley is a given, leaving us with decisions to make on Wright, JMac and Lmac. Hopefully Luke builds his tank over the pre-season and plays up the ground.

We absolutely must extend Scotty. Imperative to be honest. If we land Gaff and Polec, we’re in for a real tilt next season. Scotty should stay around one a one year contract. He is still incredibly valuable in his intercept work and can perform a shutdown role on medium sized forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems to be pretty beaten up. Didn't make any announcement so I guess we will see how it plays out.

Personally I'd rather Nielson and McKay come in next year and Thommo retire even though he could play another. I think for the long term it is for the better....and I think today was probably his last game. But I guess we will know soon.

And if McKay picks up an injury? Or Tarrant or both?
EVW will be back, Murphy, Neilson and even possibly Hibberd and Junker. I think playing Thompson will not improve us. Quite possibly still in the best 22, but we have just seen again that the best 22 isn't quite good enough. If Durdin leaves then keep Thompson around for another year.

Well, choice to make here.

Scotty is still comfortably best 22. But he's keeping someone out. Big decision.

I think it's another case of a bloke that Scott can't help playing if he's on the list.

Absolutely love the bloke and he could probably go around again, but from a list management point of view I think he has to go.

EVW will be back, Murphy, Neilson and even possibly Hibberd and Junker. I think playing Thompson will not improve us. Quite possibly still in the best 22, but we have just seen again that the best 22 isn't quite good enough. If Durdin leaves then keep Thompson around for another year.
I'm all for giving the kids a go but Thompson is best 22. There are improvements that need to happen in the other 22 spots. The KPD positions are one of our last issues. EVW is one of my favourites but he's been able to play 14 games in 4 years thanks in large part to some unlucky shoulder and knee collision injuries - we can't rely on him. Personally I would be playing Neilson as he's one of my favourites but at the moment it appears that the coaches don't share that same sentiment.

Hibberd, Murphy, and Junker are more of those medium defender types and 2 of those aren't guaranteed to even be on the list next season.

Thompson has never played less that 19 games in a season since his debut year. That's a dependable player with a lot of versatility. Just like Firrito he keeps playing well and even managed to improve from his last season form. In my opinion he's given another year - it's up to McKay, Nielson, Durdin, and Watson to displace him in the pre-season. I'd start with EVW, Tarrant, and McKay with Thompson ready to step in when injury or form warrants it.

Scott Thompson is the least of our concern when it comes to best 22.

The fact that he and Taz played every game this year, despite all the talk about McKay being ready/how our VFL team allowed players to learn structure, perfectly demonstrates everything that's wrong with the current administration. Both have clearly been sore (or in Taz's case just straight injured) for the better part of half a year, out most promising KPP prospect has played 1 AFL game in 3 years and guess what? We still didn't make finals. He would have played at least 3-5 games in every other team in the comp this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back