Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Menegola would be well up there too.

Great mature recruiting Wells.
Watch the other clubs copy Geelong next year (not that what we have done is truly unique). But this could result in a shift in focus from speculative 18 year olds to mature aged recruits. Call it Gen Y football. Teams want premierships now and not in 5-10 years

Watch the other clubs copy Geelong next year (not that what we have done is truly unique). But this could result in a shift in focus from speculative 18 year olds to mature aged recruits. Call it Gen Y football. Teams want premierships now and not in 5-10 years

That permeates all the way down too. Because if teams don't deliver premierships, fans aren't going to wait around.

Its a good point but not the ideal year to do it... this draft has a better group of kids. .. ..

The story is about Tom Stewart, but so pleased to read that Casey Tutungi is going strong and the club is standing by him. We stick! :thumbsu:

Tutungi continues to fight, working hard on improving his range of movement and mixing work for Geelong with time with his wife and daughters, Asta and Louttit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will the AFL's ridiculous commitment to decide on the All Australian team last week cost Tom his spot? He looked quick and sharp on his feet, back to normal AA level yesterday. His injury came at a bad time for the premature selectulation schedule that I'd say no decent competition of the planet would even consider.

Will the AFL's ridiculous commitment to decide on the All Australian team last week cost Tom his spot? He looked quick and sharp on his feet, back to normal AA level yesterday. His injury came at a bad time for the premature selectulation schedule that I'd say no decent competition of the planet would even consider.

really? why am I even surprised ...
what possible rationale could there be for not including the performances of players in the final H&A round of the year?

as for Stewart, nice to see the club put his name forward for AFLPA MVP consideration (along with Hawkins and Blicavs)

I've seen 2 media "journo" AA teams this past week and shake my head reading through their justification.

This is Robbo's AA team:
99d1c151eb88a4959e443e69d6676f6b

The back half has Alex Rance and Jeremy McGovern as the key defenders, three attacking type defenders in Lachie Whitfield, Shannon Hurn and Rory Laird, leaving one spot for whatever type of player you favour.
I went with Port Adelaide’s Tom Jonas because he defends strongly and is powerful overhead.
He beat out Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton, Sydney’s Jake Lloyd (another running defender), Tom Stewart from Geelong, Richmond’s Dylan Grimes and Collingwood’s Jeremy Howe...
...If the All-Australian selectors can cut corners by picking the team, as they did, before Round 22 is played, then my allowance is Patrick Dangerfield on the other flank. He is a mid-forward who No.1 of any mid-forward for disposals, metres gained, contested possessions, inside-50s, clearances and score involvements.

No mentions of any other Geelong players, and reading through the public comments on the article the biggest criticism is the selection of Rance (I think only Richmond people agree with that) - https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/17ef4411ef47509158723204b599d5e8

Jake Naiall's AA team looks like this:

f5a6fcc4123785accda304effe8e273cd0ec766c

Another champion, Alex Rance, has become the easiest selection in these teams, because he’s a fair way ahead of the next best full-back. Rory Laird, too, isn’t a tough call in the back pocket, given his unmatched ability to win the ball as a small defender.
Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton ranks as one of the game’s most undersold guns. How many defenders can subdue Eddie Betts AND a key forward? He’s just pipped Grimes and Geelong’s Tom Stewart for a medium defender slot.
Seems he is underselling Stewart there, but his "justifications" do get better

In attack, I’ve opted for the contemporary game’s two key forwards, one hybrid, three smalls structure, which leaves no spot for Tom Hawkins or Ben Brown. Lance Franklin has been sore, on occasion he’s been subdued, yet without him, the Swans wouldn’t have a prayer of playing finals. Buddy’s had more scoreboard impact than anyone in the AFL.
I know the article was originally published yesterday but that last one is a joke - in 2018 Hawins kicked more goals than Buddy (58 vs 57), he had more goal assists (24 vs 18) and he had more score involvements (172 vs 160). If you like Buddy better then just say that, but to come up with some bullshit reason makes it a joke
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...he-best-against-the-best-20180825-p4zzre.html

I assume he’ll be in but I thinks rance has had a pretty average year, his one on one defending has slipped, back OT, Stewart is probably fighting it out with either the smalls or the intercepters, hard to have him in there over a Laird or Lloyd, or a McGovern type.

I've seen 2 media "journo" AA teams this past week and shake my head reading through their justification.

This is Robbo's AA team:

No mentions of any other Geelong players, and reading through the public comments on the article the biggest criticism is the selection of Rance (I think only Richmond people agree with that) - https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/17ef4411ef47509158723204b599d5e8

I know the article was originally published yesterday but that last one is a joke - in 2018 Hawins kicked more goals than Buddy (58 vs 57), he had more goal assists (24 vs 18) and he had more score involvements (172 vs 160). If you like Buddy better then just say that, but to come up with some bullshit reason makes it a joke
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...he-best-against-the-best-20180825-p4zzre.html

Damn straight on the bolded C09.

Cameron Ling better be all over this; he needs to present those very facts to the rest of the selectors and get Hawkins over the line.
CHF please.

AA has become a media profile prize and nothing more.
Rance shouldn't even be in the squad but no doubt he'll be starting FB, likewise Buddy for the above reasons.
Even Martin, he's had an ok year yet all the media continue to talk up his AA and Brownlow chances.
Fact and reality take a backseat.
Buddy is averaging more goals per game then any other player in the comp this year and by a bit of a gap too. He is also top in terms of goals plus goal assists per game combined narrowly beating Hawkins who is second. Riewoldt is a decent way behind those two. Franklin should be the first forward picked. Hawkins should be the second. They are the clear best two forwards this season.

This is Robbo's AA team:

Goals plus goals assists combined per game 2018.

1. Buddy 4.2
2. Hawkins 4.1
3. Riewoldt 3.8
4. Gunston 3.2

The buddy selection is right. He has been the best forward. Hawkins has been better then Riewoldt and way better then Gunston. The Gunston pick is the massive error. Not buddy.

Buddy is averaging more goals per game then any other player in the comp this year and by a bit of a gap too. He is also top in terms of goals plus goal assists per game combined narrowly beating Hawkins who is second. Riewoldt is a decent way behind those two. Franklin should be the first forward picked. Hawkins should be the second. They are the clear best two forwards this season.

o_O - it's not that much of a goal between Buddy in first place & Kennedy in 2nd place:
2018 h&a goals ave.jpeg

The 0.08 goals per game difference is just ahead of the 0.07 lead for combined goals & goal assists that Buddy has over Hawkins: 4.17 vs 4.1 - so if Buddy is only narrowly beating Hawkins he is also only narrowly ahead of Kennedy.

We could end up with a situation similar to the 2012 AA team where Riewoldt won the Coleman with 65 goals ahead of Pav & Hawkins (62 goals), and Buddy (59 goals), but it was Buddy & Hawkins selected for the AA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back