The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just realized we've won twice as many games against top 8 sides than Collingwood have this year..

Geez they've had an easy run as far the fixture went though... played top 8 sides only 8 times, travel interstate only 5 times, 11 & 10 respectively for us. Free kick's paid to them against PA last round was absolutely disgusting again, the count was 19 to 11. Looking forward to seeing them crash & burn come September..
Didn't Collingwood finish 13th last season? So they had the same level of draw that we did in 18th.

Report required please Dlions..

oh and enjoy!!
The little tour this morning was great, the facilities are small but workeable.

A couple of notes from the morning:

All Coaching and fitness staff have been re-signed and will be retained. No extras will be brought in other than maybe adding to the Well-being side of things.

Looking at Expanding the Academy and better the coaching.
Craig Starcevich will now be at the club on a full time basis with an extra role of Coaching Director of the Academy. A new role basically as a coaches coach for the Academy. As well as coaching the Women’s team.

How hard they go at the draft will depend on how the Trade period Pans out.
Talk of bringing in 3-4 via trade if they can get who they are after. If not they will go hard at the draft.
Both Nobes and Swanny seems confident of getting some mature talent in???

In relation to Springfield - wait and see approach, but are moving ahead with plans, and have employed Architects for official design etc. Hoping to get moving before the end off year.

Got to sit in on the Press Conference this morning for Fages re-signing. Very unexpected but fantastic to see.
Fages entered the room to claps all round and looked quite embarrassed. Bloody Good Man We Have There!

That’s about all I can remember at this stage.

The little tour this morning was great, the facilities are small but workeable.

A couple of notes from the morning:

All Coaching and fitness staff have been re-signed and will be retained. No extras will be brought in other than maybe adding to the Well-being side of things.

Looking at Expanding the Academy and better the coaching.
Craig Starcevich will now be at the club on a full time basis with an extra role of Coaching Director of the Academy. A new role basically as a coaches coach for the Academy. As well as coaching the Women’s team.

How hard they go at the draft will depend on how the Trade period Pans out.
Talk of bringing in 3-4 via trade if they can get who they are after. If not they will go hard at the draft.
Both Nobes and Swanny seems confident of getting some mature talent in???

In relation to Springfield - wait and see approach, but are moving ahead with plans, and have employed Architects for official design etc. Hoping to get moving before the end off year.

Got to sit in on the Press Conference this morning for Fages re-signing. Very unexpected but fantastic to see.
Fages entered the room to claps all round and looked quite embarrassed. Bloody Good Man We Have There!

That’s about all I can remember at this stage.
Oh yeah! Matty Eagles will be retained for next season.:thumbsu:
Will be announced soon, that’s a good story.

It was also mentioned that hodgey is loving his time up here, will play on next year as we already know and that there a chance he will consider staying on after that.
How that will look is likely to be discussed throughout next year.
Possible assistant coaching role.

It was also mentioned that hodgey is loving his time up here, will play on next year as we already know and that there a chance he will consider staying on after that.
How that will look is likely to be discussed throughout next year.
Possible assistant coaching role.
Hodgey could start his own sub branch of the Personal Excellence and Wellbeing department ie. The Culture and Troop of Good Blokes Guild.

I couldn't think of a more suitable thread than this one, to post this.

I've just watched the interview with Claye and Dayne on Fox Footy......you blokes are so blessed to have 2 absolutely beautiful human beings on your list with those 2 blokes...and they can play footy too! I love the way they go about it...hats off to them....

At the conclusion of the season I'd like to thank guys like Dylan12 , Jivlain and all the preview writers for their efforts through the season to keep our board ticking over, whether it be Roster Watch, Inexperience Watch, or the previews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I've seen the light, maybe it's taken me a bit longer but there is a boy amongst men who wears 13 that is the club's future. The talk of building/trading around Zorko and Beams whilst they're competitive is so short sighted it's ridiculous. If the club can't see it then they're silly, Jarrod Berry is going to be so good it's ridiculous. He reminds me of a man who wore 3 and took us to 3 premierships. Berry is the one that we should build around and it will be for longer term not for shorter (hopeful) term success.

Well, I've seen the light, maybe it's taken me a bit longer but there is a boy amongst men who wears 13 that is the club's future. The talk of building/trading around Zorko and Beams whilst they're competitive is so short sighted it's ridiculous. If the club can't see it then they're silly, Jarrod Berry is going to be so good it's ridiculous. He reminds me of a man who wore 3 and took us to 3 premierships. Berry is the one that we should build around and it will be for longer term not for shorter (hopeful) term success.
Too much stats jj and not enough eye work with Bez? Good to see you on board. At the game today he was immense. Showed up some of the more senior players. By the way your weekly team stats is the most interesting post of the week - every week.

At the conclusion of the season I'd like to thank guys like Dylan12 , Jivlain and all the preview writers for their efforts through the season to keep our board ticking over, whether it be Roster Watch, Inexperience Watch, or the previews.
I think the guy who looks after the player of the year thread is something special.

Bezza. Has balls and takes the game on.
Clugg. Great hands and vision.
Rayner. X factor. Is drawn to and demands the footy. Like!!!!
Bundy - might have found his niche at HBF as Rich and Hodgy are too slow to have there.
Hodgy - Great investment. Maybe play a Baguley type role next year?
Harris Andrews - Took plenty of scalps and should be AA and possibly captain.
Bails - Works hard both ways. I like the boy.
Cuts - Went up a level this year. Needs to work on his finishing.
Darcy - Was having a career year until injured. Worked hard and reaped the rewards.
Charlie - Mr Excitement and a wizard around goals.
Beamer - For playing well despite everything that happened off the field. Hope he stays.
Witho - bloody outstanding. Cool head.

Wooller, Ballenden, Lyons and Payne still yet to debut. Excited about Lyons with a pre season and filling out a bit.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, we only used 34 players for the entire season.

In the 22 year history as a merged club, we have only used fewer players in 3 other years - 2002 (30), 2003 & 2004 (32).

I guess you could look at that in a number of ways:

- confidence in a core group of players (24 players played 11 games or more (including 18 players playing 18 games or more)), with a further 12 players playing 6 games or less (and some more disappointing than others (Mayes (6), Barrett (5), Cox, Starcevich, Eagles (4 each), Bewick & Allison (3), Keays & Bastinac (2) and Bell (1);
- lack of injuries; and
- lack of faith by the coaches in a number of players (that didn't play a game, including Skinner (returning from injury) / Paparone, Dawson, Smith, Frost / Wooller, Ballenden, Lyons, Payne, Hinge (first / second year players yet to play a game).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back