Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a tough one but i think Franklin changes a game more than Brown. Brown is definitely more consistent this year (especially early) but i still sort of feel like his second half of the season really ruined his chances of AA.

I didn't think Franklin did much of anything until the last 3rd of the season... Maybe it's just the games I watched.

I love Ben Brown but he's not in Buddy's stratosphere as yet for turning games. Simply put, even a half fit Buddy can bob up an tear a side apart even now.
It's kind of hard to compare tall forwards to Buddy though, he's an absolute freak.

I love Ben Brown but he's not in Buddy's stratosphere as yet for turning games. Simply put, even a half fit Buddy can bob up an tear a side apart even now.
he did against us
And in every game hes played the past month
He single handedly dragged Sydney into finals at our expense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a tough one but i think Franklin changes a game more than Brown. Brown is definitely more consistent this year (especially early) but i still sort of feel like his second half of the season really ruined his chances of AA.

Sorry but that argument is utter bullshit. You change a game by doing what? Kicking goals. Ben Brown did that more than Franklin and Hawkins this year. There are some arguing for the inclusion of the key forwards who kicked the 1st, 3rd and 4th most goals this year but leaving out the second best key forward. If there are three spots for key forwards, Ben Brown gets in. If there are two spots for key forwards, Ben Brown gets in. If there is only one spot for a key forward, fair enough, Jack Riewoldt gets it.

Is it just me but after the bye was he concentrating more on getting a free kick rather than playing his natural game? Like crashing the packs and using his glove like hands to dominate in the air?

He never used to give a s**t before. I know he is getting almost triple teamed week to week but another pre season under his belt holy s**t he’s going to rip apart games

Being able to do it and consistently doing it at will are two different things.

I can kick a goal from 60m... every now and again.

Sorry but that argument is utter bullshit. You change a game by doing what? Kicking goals. Ben Brown did that more than Franklin and Hawkins this year. There are some arguing for the inclusion of the key forwards who kicked the 1st, 3rd and 4th most goals this year but leaving out the second best key forward. If there are three spots for key forwards, Ben Brown gets in. If there are two spots for key forwards, Ben Brown gets in. If there is only one spot for a key forward, fair enough, Jack Riewoldt gets it.

I love Brown, but if you compare his averages to Hawkins or Buddy, it doesn't look very good. Per game, kicked less than Riewoldt, Hawkins and Buddy. Even Tom MacDonald kicked more (although he's become quite a player).

Its never as simple as that and we all know it. You cant just pick the players who kicked the most goals because its just not an accurate reflection of the season. When Sydney were about to crash out of the finals race along comes Franklin who absolutely dominates and almost single handedly turned the next 4 games on their head to get them in a final game for a 4th placed finish.

Franklin played 18 games and Brown 22. Only 21 games are counted for AA selection.

Im not really one to use stats as the sole reason someone has had a better season than the next person but these are pretty obvious

upload_2018-8-27_17-9-3.png

Brown is not in the frame for CHF IMO - only FF and based on the fact Riewoldt had a better year - he will get in over Brown and CHF will be decided between Franklin and Hawkins

Its never as simple as that and we all know it. You cant just pick the players who kicked the most goals because its just not an accurate reflection of the season. When Sydney were about to crash out of the finals race along comes Franklin who absolutely dominates and almost single handedly turned the next 4 games on their head to get them in a final game for a 4th placed finish.

Franklin played 18 games and Brown 22. Only 21 games are counted for AA selection.

Im not really one to use stats as the sole reason someone has had a better season than the next person but these are pretty obvious

View attachment 550388

Brown is not in the frame for CHF IMO - only FF and based on the fact Riewoldt had a better year - he will get in over Brown and CHF will be decided between Franklin and Hawkins

Yet we’re about to see an All Australian team with both Gawn & Grundy so it negates the idea that the AA team is based on an actual side to play a game. No doubt we’ll see midfielders on the flanks too

If you don't have a feel for how Buddy changes games single-handedly, I feel sorry for you. Buddy running amok is one of the best things in football.

PS - I don't think that's the appropriate judgement criterion for AA. Coleman Medal is appropriate for picking the full forward, so Jack is a lock, and deservedly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back