Some MCC seats to be avilable to club members Prelim & GF - Caroline Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there's any issue with MCC members having to be at the Grand Final say 60 minutes before the first bounce.

Get the public to queue up and anyone who misses out has time to get to a pub, home or somewhere to watch it

Or gives a lot of people enough time to buy tickets online and head into the game

Being an MCC member myself (Provisional), I can't understand why the MCC doesn't allow provisional members the chance to attend finals once all full and restricted members get a chance to purchase tickets. I know I'm not entitled to, but bums on seats are better then empty areas. I'm still a paying member and would purchase and additional ticket to attend finals so the MCC and still profiting off me.

Same goes for Boxing Day Test. Provisional members should be allowed entry on day 1 for example if Aus are playing less attracting teams, Pakistan, South Africa etc. instead of only getting 60,000, I'm sure a lot more would attend if they opened it up to provisional members once attendance estimations were done.

Being an MCC member myself (Provisional), I can't understand why the MCC doesn't allow provisional members the chance to attend finals once all full and restricted members get a chance to purchase tickets. I know I'm not entitled to, but bums on seats are better then empty areas. I'm still a paying member and would purchase and additional ticket to attend finals so the MCC and still profiting off me.

Same goes for Boxing Day Test. Provisional members should be allowed entry on day 1 for example if Aus are playing less attracting teams, Pakistan, South Africa etc. instead of only getting 60,000, I'm sure a lot more would attend if they opened it up to provisional members once attendance estimations were done.
They only want people who are part of their exclusive club. Bunch of campaigners

Don't the MCC let restricted members into the GF if the reserve isn't full? I thought they announce it late morning or something? Unlikely to be any left over after doing that, unless it was Freo v Port or something of the sort.

And how many competing club members actually miss out on prelims? Tigers last year and maybe Pies v Cats 2007 are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head, but the MCC was full for them too so it wouldn't have made any difference. In fact for the 2007 prelim the MCC ended up letting their members go into the public part of the ground because the MCC reserve was full.

Sounds like a good idea on the surface but in reality I don't think it will do much.

Don't the MCC let restricted members into the GF if the reserve isn't full? I thought they announce it late morning or something? Unlikely to be any left over after doing that, unless it was Freo v Port or something of the sort.

And how many competing club members actually miss out on prelims? Tigers last year and maybe Pies v Cats 2007 are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head, but the MCC was full for them too so it wouldn't have made any difference. In fact for the 2007 prelim the MCC ended up letting their members go into the public part of the ground because the MCC reserve was full.

Sounds like a good idea on the surface but in reality I don't think it will do much.
Yes they do, highly unlikely though.

MCC members have always been allowed to enter in gate two then go out and sit in any GA areas.

This idea would be a fair bit easier in finals compared to normal season though, cos IIRC they give little tickets to people for each seat that isnt reserved prior to the day, so attendants would know how many seats are left and they would be able to communicate that

Yeh, I thought they allowed restricted members access after a certain time too.
Will come more in to effect for prelims than GFs where there is less neutral attendance filling up the MCC.

MCC members have always been allowed to enter in gate two then go out and sit in any GA areas.
Normally yes, for the 2007 prelim there was no GA. MCC reserve was at capacity with people locked outside booing whilst the national anthem was playing. I remember they ended up sorting some of them out with left over scraps reserved seats in the public section. I think it was 98k that night. I think they also let them in on the condition they don't come in the MCC reserve, so they could have stood in the public section.

Last edited:
Another little known fact is the MCC open up 3 or 4 bays of seats on level 4 to the public for big games where they know the reserve won't be close to full.
On the ponsford stand side? I've noticed their two lines of fences.

Another little known fact is the M14/M15 is normally apart of the Public allocation but converts to the AFL reserve for the finals series due to Medallion club allocations taking L2a bays away from members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they do, highly unlikely though.

This idea would be a fair bit easier in finals compared to normal season though, cos IIRC they give little tickets to people for each seat that isnt reserved prior to the day, so attendants would know how many seats are left and they would be able to communicate that

This is true on the first point, but there aren’t really any GA areas for finals like there is in the home and away season (except for the standing areas), so it’s hard to sit outside of the reserve for finals.

You are correct, they do give tickets to the first 3 levels once all seating is exhausted, but not level 4. I think what would be fair if they aren’t expecting the reserve to be near capacity, would be to release the 3 bays closest to the Ponsford stand to club members.

Another little known fact is the M14/M15 is normally apart of the Public allocation but converts to the AFL reserve for the finals series due to Medallion club allocations taking L2a bays away from members.
Yep that's it, you can see it at the ground.
Yeah I've also mentioned the AFL fence moving from M16 to M14 for the GF quite a few times on here and also 2 bays on the other levels, sneaky pricks.

This is true on the first point, but there aren’t really any GA areas for finals like there is in the home and away season (except for the standing areas), so it’s hard to sit outside of the reserve for finals.

You are correct, they do give tickets to the first 3 levels once all seating is exhausted, but not level 4. I think what would be fair if they aren’t expecting the reserve to be near capacity, would be to release the 3 bays closest to the Ponsford stand to club members.
Ah yes... appreciate the response - last year was my first year as a restricted member (what a time to get it) :p
Thanks!

Yes, they can split off those 3 bays and give them back to the public for games like Carlton v Essendon when the reserve won’t go close to capacity, but there is decent public demand. There is also an additional fence in the concourse that they use to block off MCC members from that part of the stand when it’s been released to the public.

I found that my views on privilege tend to change once I attain it.

Needless to say that now I am a member, I spat a fine Port all over my cravat once I heard this.

Yes, they can split off those 3 bays and give them back to the public for games like Carlton v Essendon when the reserve won’t go close to capacity, but there is decent public demand. There is also an additional fence in the concourse that they use to block off MCC members from that part of the stand when it’s been released to the public.
Lol I didn't know about the concourse fence. So they keep the peasants from coming into the nicer bars/food joints and pissing on the floor in the toilets?

Lol I didn't know about the concourse fence. So they keep the peasants from coming into the nicer bars/food joints and pissing on the floor in the toilets?

Yes, if you know where the tab outlet is on level 4, that’s where the fence is. MCC members lose the David Neitz terrace, some toilets and maybe an outlet that’s rarely open. In fact it’s probably the only time those toilet blocks on the MCC side of the Ponsford Stand fence have seen a que other than the Grand Final.

It's a new membership category so they're probably still figuring out how to best implement it without inconveniencing the full and restricted members.

^^This. Only about half of the total MCC members get initial access to the GF. If they get concerned about filling the reserve, they start letting the restricted in, so it's an empty gesture on GF day. Their current system on that does suck though, so maybe this will provide them with the motivation to improve that system.

Plus if there's a prelim that will likely leave vast sections of the MCC unused (North/Dogs vs interstate side), it's unlikely there'll be that huge demand from elsewhere either.

You can see the difference in the AFL members between weeks 1-3 of finals
1_3.png

and the Grand Final
gf.png

Two additional bays on Levels M, N, P and Q.

Logical choice. Why was this not enforced for the past 50 years?

Because it’s utter bullshit?

The next upgrade of the MCG is fully funded by the MCC.

The MCC has a waiting list of 25 years and is $500+ a year. It’s another 10+ years for full membership and a grand final ticket.

We wait and pay for the privilege to sit there, rubbish that single year club members could be eligible to sit there whilst restricted members who could of been on the books for 30 years miss out.

If i had a spare 5 billion, Id build a 110,000 seater and have a section called the MCC - Melbourne Cooked campaigners and itd only be open to members who agreed to turn up in attire that took the piss out of the MCG MCC. Youd also have to show your last tax return that earned under 110ka year.

Anyone who is a member of the MCG MCC still gets their own special section when they visit though to make them feel at home with fences and everything. Except that the scoreboard will pan to them periodically throughout the game and lead the rest of the crowd through a "you are a w***er" chant. And we would throw poo at them.

Seriously, as someone who has been to the MCC upwards of 100 times through my uncle being a member (oh lala) there is nothing special at all about it to justify the fees. And the ******* dress code. Get ****ed, Im wearing my colours (sorry Sir, I didnt realise blah blah ead).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back