Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really good point and we could debate this one for ever...but I think these kinds of lists are always an opinion at a moment in time. You'd say this time last year McGrath was clearly no 1 as he won the rising star...this year hes been very good but remember hes played more mid and stepped up in his roles. Much easier to get noticed when you run off half back. Ainsworth last year would also have been similar. He hit the ground running off half forward kicking some incredible goals next to Lynch and Wright in good form. Now he doest have that. Bowes has been given more tagging and defensive roles and again doesnt get noticed for his work. He will move up into the midfield maybe next year and we will see a different story. Brodie IMO is the type of player you can build a team around. Tough inside mid. Hes just had to build his running power and ball use... McCluggage, McGrath and Ainsworth wont get any bigger so the value of a Taranto and Brodie IMO longer term better suits the hardness of AFL requirements. Not saying others wont be good players but Brodes has shown he can develop quickly...All players fully developed, Id rather have him and Taranto in the mid come GF day, than anyone in your top 10, Setters will get there too.. McCluggage is all class but in time, as a mid, IMO the bigger bodies of Taranto, Setters, Brodie and Scrim will push the smaller mids aside so they need to have more strings to their bow...Ainsworth has that...hes a lethal forward. IMO if you look at Mark Murphy, his body is taking a battering against Dangerfield, Dusty, Kennedy etc. Buckenara described Scrim as the most talented player in that draft and given he was drafted skinny, then had injury setbacks its a longer pathway to get your GPS numbers and body up to standard. Each club drafts based on what they need. Petr-Seton had played regular WAFL and the Blues needed a mid but AFL is a different story, another level physically so hes probably taken too much too early but arguably has more class than anyone. Even Sam PP was no surprise. AFL academy captain at 17/18yo, he had hammy or maybe calf, issues I believe, in his draft year so it pushed him back a little. English also a good example, was drafted with the full understanding it would take time to build his body. Had his body been fully developed like McGrath, Taranto and Sam PP on draft day, he would most likely have gone pick 1. Talent and height like that dont come around every day. This time next year he might be 1 on your list. You left out Adelaides Jordan Gallucci. He can play and like Ainsworth, playing half forward is arguably the games hardest position and trying to break into Adelaides mature side isnt easy. Gucc can do it all but brings another thing...leadership. Co Vic Metro Captain with McGrath, he is up there. ..IMO I still reckon the clubs including GC got it pretty well right depending on what their options were and what they needed at the time...After 3-4 years in the system, all bodies developed, with the exception of English and maybe Marshall (most underdeveloped at the draft) I wouldnt be surprised if your ranking was similar as the draft order. Interesting subject right?
Fair points, however I think you are exaggerating the difference in body size between Taranto and Mccluggage. Taranto is 187cm/87kg, Mccluggage is 185cm/83kg, not a lot of difference at all there. Mccluggage is starting to win plenty of contested ball and stand up in tackles this year, as well as being a very strong tackler himself. Taranto is better in that area at the moment but I don't think it will be an issue for Mccluggage going forward.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Really good point and we could debate this one for ever...but I think these kinds of lists are always an opinion at a moment in time. You'd say this time last year McGrath was clearly no 1 as he won the rising star...this year hes been very good but remember hes played more mid and stepped up in his roles. Much easier to get noticed when you run off half back. Ainsworth last year would also have been similar. He hit the ground running off half forward kicking some incredible goals next to Lynch and Wright in good form. Now he doest have that. Bowes has been given more tagging and defensive roles and again doesnt get noticed for his work. He will move up into the midfield maybe next year and we will see a different story. Brodie IMO is the type of player you can build a team around. Tough inside mid. Hes just had to build his running power and ball use... McCluggage, McGrath and Ainsworth wont get any bigger so the value of a Taranto and Brodie IMO longer term better suits the hardness of AFL requirements. Not saying others wont be good players but Brodes has shown he can develop quickly...All players fully developed, Id rather have him and Taranto in the mid come GF day, than anyone in your top 10, Setters will get there too.. McCluggage is all class but in time, as a mid, IMO the bigger bodies of Taranto, Setters, Brodie and Scrim will push the smaller mids aside so they need to have more strings to their bow...Ainsworth has that...hes a lethal forward. IMO if you look at Mark Murphy, his body is taking a battering against Dangerfield, Dusty, Kennedy etc. Buckenara described Scrim as the most talented player in that draft and given he was drafted skinny, then had injury setbacks its a longer pathway to get your GPS numbers and body up to standard. Each club drafts based on what they need. Petr-Seton had played regular WAFL and the Blues needed a mid but AFL is a different story, another level physically so hes probably taken too much too early but arguably has more class than anyone. Even Sam PP was no surprise. AFL academy captain at 17/18yo, he had hammy or maybe calf, issues I believe, in his draft year so it pushed him back a little. English also a good example, was drafted with the full understanding it would take time to build his body. Had his body been fully developed like McGrath, Taranto and Sam PP on draft day, he would most likely have gone pick 1. Talent and height like that dont come around every day. This time next year he might be 1 on your list. You left out Adelaides Jordan Gallucci. He can play and like Ainsworth, playing half forward is arguably the games hardest position and trying to break into Adelaides mature side isnt easy. Gucc can do it all but brings another thing...leadership. Co Vic Metro Captain with McGrath, he is up there. ..IMO I still reckon the clubs including GC got it pretty well right depending on what their options were and what they needed at the time...After 3-4 years in the system, all bodies developed, with the exception of English and maybe Marshall (most underdeveloped at the draft) I wouldnt be surprised if your ranking was similar as the draft order. Interesting subject right?

You really need to learn how to utilise paragraphs

Gromma

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers.
Fair points, however I think you are exaggerating the difference in body size between Taranto and Mccluggage. Taranto is 187cm/87kg, Mccluggage is 185cm/83kg, not a lot of difference at all there. Mccluggage is starting to win plenty of contested ball and stand up in tackles this year, as well as being a very strong tackler himself. Taranto is better in that area at the moment but I don't think it will be an issue for Mccluggage going forward.
Yeah youre probably right, McGs a star I probably havent seen enough of him this year and it does look like hes built up a lot...

Gromma

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers.
I think it's fair to say none of them have lived up to expectations so far. Brodie, Ainsworth and Bowes have all shown glimpses at the top level and should all be good players in the future but they haven't yet justified being a top 10 pick in a strong draft like this. Many others have outperformed them. If the draft were redone I think all 4 of them would have slipped considerably.
Gee Im not sure GC would agree there...but I agree as at today to some extent but Im not sure clubs expect to see much until yr 3-4. Remember GC top 4 2016 all signed 4yr deals when the entire comp were signing kids for 2...pretty good indicator and initiative from GC on how long it takes to settle a kid into the AFL system.

Hicksey

Rookie
Oct 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can you honestly say English is number 2?
Super tough obviously biased as a dogs supporter but im looking at who can be elite players i think English can be his skills for a ruckman are A+ needs work on his size and his actually tap ruck work isnt the best. He flies at the ball nicely in contests just needs more size and strength and some experience i expect him in the next few years to really take off. Also the news that WCE are going to go hard at him isnt a suprise and lets just see what they offer i think they will go hard because they know his value

Schods

Senior List
Apr 21, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
My 2016 Draft Re-Do

1. Hugh McCluggage (Pick 3)
2. Tom Stewart (Pick 40)
3. Andrew McGrath (Pick 1)
4. Alex Witherden (Pick 23)
5. Tim Taranto (Pick 2)
6. Zac Fisher (Pick 27)
7. Luke Ryan (Pick 66)
8. Jarrod Berry (Pick 17)
9. Sam Petrevski-Seton (Pick 6)
10. Brandan Parfitt (Pick 26)
11. Sam Powell-Pepper (Pick 18)
12. Oliver Florent (Pick 11)
13. Will Brodie (Pick 9)
14. Will Hayward (Pick 21)
15. Sean Darcy (Pick 38)
16. Jy Simpkin (Pick 12)
17. Jack Graham (Pick 53)
18. Harry Morrison (Pick 74)
19. Ben Ainsworth (Pick 4)
20. Callum Brown (Pick 35)
21. Ben Ronke (RD (Rookie Draft) Pick 17)
22. Todd Marshall (Pick 16)
23. Jack Henry (RD Pick 16)
24. Willie Rioli (Pick 52)
25. Jordan Ridley (Pick 22)
26. Tim English (Pick 19)
27. Jack Bowes (Pick 10)
28. Will Setterfield (Pick 5)
29. Oscar McInerney (Pick 37)
30. Rowan Marshall (RD Pick 10)

Players who missed out (Draft Number in brackets)
Jack Scrimshaw (7), Griffin Logue (8), Daniel Venables (13), Harry Perryman (14), Jordan Gallucci (15), Isaac Cumming (20), Cedric Cox (24), Ben Long (25), Patrick Lipinski (28), Shai Bolton (29), Sam McLarty (30), Josh Begley (31), Joe Atley (32), Willem Drew (33), Declan Watson (34), Josh Rotham (37), Josh Battle (39), Brennan Cox (41), Kobe Mutch (42), Esava Ratugolea (43), Myles Poholke (44), Jack Maibaum (45), Mitch Hannan (46), Harrison Macreadie (47), Darcy Cameron (48), Lewis Young (49), Kayle Kirby (50), Elliott Himmelberg (51), Lachie Tiziani (54), Jacob Allison (55), Ed Phillips (56), Josh Daicos (57), Cameron Polson (59), Quinton Narkle (60), Tom Williamson (61), Matthew Signorello (62), Dylan Clarke (63), Dion Johnstone (64), Patrick Kerr (65), Brad Scheer (67), Timm House (68), Ryan Abbott (69), Fergus Greene (70), Corey Lyons (71), Ryan Garthwaite (72), Nick Larkey (73), Ben Davis (75), Mitchell Lewis (76), Jake Waterman (77), Sam Draper (RD 1), Taylin Duman (RD 3), Kym Lebois (RD 5), Tyson Stengle (RD 6), Lachlan Filipovic (RD 8), Peter Ladhams (RD 9), Cameron Zurhaar (RD 11), Oliver Hanrahan (RD 14), Mitchell Hinge (RD 20), Luke Strnadica (RD 21), Tim Smith (RD 25), Zach Guthrie (RD 33), Robbie Fox (RD 34), Jarrod Lienert (RD 42), James Cousins (RD 46), Jamaine Jones (RD 48), Max Lynch (RD 51), Sam Simpson (RD 53), Toby Pink (RD 54)

Last edited:

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
My 2016 Draft Re-Do

2. Tom Stewart (Pick 40)
5. Tim Taranto (Pick 2)
6. Zac Fisher (Pick 27)
7. Luke Ryan (Pick 66)
13. Will Brodie (Pick 9)
15. Sean Darcy (Pick 38)
16. Jy Simpkin (Pick 12)
22. Shaun McKernan (RD Pick 19)
23. Todd Marshall (Pick 16)
24. Jack Henry (RD Pick 16)
25. Willie Rioli (Pick 52)
26. Jordan Ridley (Pick 22)
27. Tim English (Pick 19)
28. Jack Bowes (Pick 10)
29. Will Setterfield (Pick 5)
30. Oscar McInerney (Pick 37)

Jack Scrimshaw (7), Griffin Logue (8), Daniel Venables (13), Harry Perryman (14), Jordan Gallucci (15), Isaac Cumming (20), Cedric Cox (24), Ben Long (25), Patrick Lipinski (28), Shai Bolton (29), Sam McLarty (30), Josh Begley (31), Joe Atley (32), Willem Drew (33), Declan Watson (34), Josh Rotham (37), Josh Battle (39), Brennan Cox (41), Kobe Mutch (42), Esava Ratugolea (43), Myles Poholke (44), Jack Maibaum (45), Mitch Hannan (46), Harrison Macreadie (47), Darcy Cameron (48), Lewis Young (49), Kayle Kirby (50), Elliott Himmelberg (51), Lachie Tiziani (54), Jacob Allison (55), Ed Phillips (56), Josh Daicos (57), Cameron Polson (59), Quinton Narkle (60), Tom Williamson (61), Matthew Signorello (62), Dylan Clarke (63), Dion Johnstone (64), Patrick Kerr (65), Brad Scheer (67), Timm House (68), Ryan Abbott (69), Fergus Greene (70), Corey Lyons (71), Ryan Garthwaite (72), Nick Larkey (73), Ben Davis (75), Mitchell Lewis (76), Jake Waterman (77), Sam Draper (RD 1), Taylin Duman (RD 3), Kym Lebois (RD 5), Tyson Stengle (RD 6), Lachlan Filipovic (RD 8), Peter Ladhams (RD 9), Rowan Marshall (RD 10), Cameron Zurhaar (RD 11), Oliver Hanrahan (RD 14), Mitchell Hinge (RD 20), Luke Strnadica (RD 21), Tim Smith (RD 25), Zach Guthrie (RD 33), Robbie Fox (RD 34), Jarrod Lienert (RD 42), James Cousins (RD 46), Jamaine Jones (RD 48), Max Lynch (RD 51), Sam Simpson (RD 53), Toby Pink (RD 54)

Is that you Callum? Hi

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My 2016 Draft Re-Do

2. Tom Stewart (Pick 40)
5. Tim Taranto (Pick 2)
6. Zac Fisher (Pick 27)
7. Luke Ryan (Pick 66)
13. Will Brodie (Pick 9)
15. Sean Darcy (Pick 38)
16. Jy Simpkin (Pick 12)
22. Shaun McKernan (RD Pick 19)
23. Todd Marshall (Pick 16)
24. Jack Henry (RD Pick 16)
25. Willie Rioli (Pick 52)
26. Jordan Ridley (Pick 22)
27. Tim English (Pick 19)
28. Jack Bowes (Pick 10)
29. Will Setterfield (Pick 5)
30. Oscar McInerney (Pick 37)

Jack Scrimshaw (7), Griffin Logue (8), Daniel Venables (13), Harry Perryman (14), Jordan Gallucci (15), Isaac Cumming (20), Cedric Cox (24), Ben Long (25), Patrick Lipinski (28), Shai Bolton (29), Sam McLarty (30), Josh Begley (31), Joe Atley (32), Willem Drew (33), Declan Watson (34), Josh Rotham (37), Josh Battle (39), Brennan Cox (41), Kobe Mutch (42), Esava Ratugolea (43), Myles Poholke (44), Jack Maibaum (45), Mitch Hannan (46), Harrison Macreadie (47), Darcy Cameron (48), Lewis Young (49), Kayle Kirby (50), Elliott Himmelberg (51), Lachie Tiziani (54), Jacob Allison (55), Ed Phillips (56), Josh Daicos (57), Cameron Polson (59), Quinton Narkle (60), Tom Williamson (61), Matthew Signorello (62), Dylan Clarke (63), Dion Johnstone (64), Patrick Kerr (65), Brad Scheer (67), Timm House (68), Ryan Abbott (69), Fergus Greene (70), Corey Lyons (71), Ryan Garthwaite (72), Nick Larkey (73), Ben Davis (75), Mitchell Lewis (76), Jake Waterman (77), Sam Draper (RD 1), Taylin Duman (RD 3), Kym Lebois (RD 5), Tyson Stengle (RD 6), Lachlan Filipovic (RD 8), Peter Ladhams (RD 9), Rowan Marshall (RD 10), Cameron Zurhaar (RD 11), Oliver Hanrahan (RD 14), Mitchell Hinge (RD 20), Luke Strnadica (RD 21), Tim Smith (RD 25), Zach Guthrie (RD 33), Robbie Fox (RD 34), Jarrod Lienert (RD 42), James Cousins (RD 46), Jamaine Jones (RD 48), Max Lynch (RD 51), Sam Simpson (RD 53), Toby Pink (RD 54)
If given the choice, noone in AFL (apart from delusional brisbane supporters) would take Witherden over Taranto, Powell-Pepper, Florent on potential...

Even players like Jack Graham and Partfitt has him well covered in current performance

Schods

Senior List
Apr 21, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
If given the choice, noone in AFL (apart from delusional brisbane supporters) would take Witherden over Taranto, Powell-Pepper, Florent on potential...

Even players like Jack Graham and Partfitt has him well covered in current performance
He was touch and go with Taranto but would rather him over the other two you mention.

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tom Stewart the first AA winner from the group.
Geelong drafting does it again.

Reckon this draft is going to be looked back on as a super draft. the kids all the way up to the latter parts of the RD are looking very solid.
The bloke is 5 years older than the rest of the draft which helps him out. In 5 years time there will be many that have overtaken him I reckon. Very good player though and a steal at where they got him.
I agree it is looking like a super draft.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tom Stewart the first AA winner from the group.
Geelong drafting does it again.

Reckon this draft is going to be looked back on as a super draft. the kids all the way up to the latter parts of the RD are looking very solid.

Parfitt was a smart pick. Our draft expert Quigley had big wraps on him in his draft year

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
It looks like Geelong will have Stewart, Parfitt, Abbott, Henry and O'Connor (cat B rookie) from this draft playing in the first final along with Ratugolea who would be a certain starter but for injury and Narkle who is a chance to come in. Not bad for 2nd year players with no pick in the top 25. In total we've had 10 players from this off season debut with Zach Guthrie, Simpson and Jones being the others who are unlikely to be picked.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My 2016 Draft Re-Do

2. Tom Stewart (Pick 40)
5. Tim Taranto (Pick 2)
6. Zac Fisher (Pick 27)
7. Luke Ryan (Pick 66)
13. Will Brodie (Pick 9)
15. Sean Darcy (Pick 38)
16. Jy Simpkin (Pick 12)
22. Todd Marshall (Pick 16)
23. Jack Henry (RD Pick 16)
24. Willie Rioli (Pick 52)
25. Jordan Ridley (Pick 22)
26. Tim English (Pick 19)
27. Jack Bowes (Pick 10)
28. Will Setterfield (Pick 5)
29. Oscar McInerney (Pick 37)
30. Rowan Marshall (RD Pick 10)

Jack Scrimshaw (7), Griffin Logue (8), Daniel Venables (13), Harry Perryman (14), Jordan Gallucci (15), Isaac Cumming (20), Cedric Cox (24), Ben Long (25), Patrick Lipinski (28), Shai Bolton (29), Sam McLarty (30), Josh Begley (31), Joe Atley (32), Willem Drew (33), Declan Watson (34), Josh Rotham (37), Josh Battle (39), Brennan Cox (41), Kobe Mutch (42), Esava Ratugolea (43), Myles Poholke (44), Jack Maibaum (45), Mitch Hannan (46), Harrison Macreadie (47), Darcy Cameron (48), Lewis Young (49), Kayle Kirby (50), Elliott Himmelberg (51), Lachie Tiziani (54), Jacob Allison (55), Ed Phillips (56), Josh Daicos (57), Cameron Polson (59), Quinton Narkle (60), Tom Williamson (61), Matthew Signorello (62), Dylan Clarke (63), Dion Johnstone (64), Patrick Kerr (65), Brad Scheer (67), Timm House (68), Ryan Abbott (69), Fergus Greene (70), Corey Lyons (71), Ryan Garthwaite (72), Nick Larkey (73), Ben Davis (75), Mitchell Lewis (76), Jake Waterman (77), Sam Draper (RD 1), Taylin Duman (RD 3), Kym Lebois (RD 5), Tyson Stengle (RD 6), Lachlan Filipovic (RD 8), Peter Ladhams (RD 9), Cameron Zurhaar (RD 11), Oliver Hanrahan (RD 14), Mitchell Hinge (RD 20), Luke Strnadica (RD 21), Tim Smith (RD 25), Zach Guthrie (RD 33), Robbie Fox (RD 34), Jarrod Lienert (RD 42), James Cousins (RD 46), Jamaine Jones (RD 48), Max Lynch (RD 51), Sam Simpson (RD 53), Toby Pink (RD 54)
Totally your opinion so no issues but for the sake of debate theres some very fishy non-inclusions.

Obvious inclusion thats very odd is Jordan Ridley - played 3 games..... and 24 VFL games...

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It looks like Geelong will have Stewart, Parfitt, Abbott, Henry and O'Connor (cat B rookie) from this draft playing in the first final along with Ratugolea who would be a certain starter but for injury and Narkle who is a chance to come in. Not bad for 2nd year players with no pick in the top 25. In total we've had 10 players from this off season debut with Zach Guthrie, Simpson and Jones being the others who are unlikely to be picked.
Geelong board.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights

Powell-Pepper didn't have a good year at all did he. I thought the consensus was that he peaked early because he was built well but has plateaued. Don't think it would be close if you put it to a public vote as to who the better player is/will be.

Edit - also I missed those 3 in the 22 under 22 side. Maybe it's not only delusional Brissy fans that would pick witho over those three?

Back