Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sier and Phillips both excellent returns for us given terrible draft and that we had no good picks.

Sier is going to be a gun and a moment of inspiration from the recruiters given he wasn't even considered good enough for his tac cup team (its pretty embarrassing that they missed him tbh given how obviously talented he is.)

Sammy Weideman showing tonight why these threads are a huge ******* joke any earlier than 5 years after the draft

I get what your saying, but I’ve gotta disagree. Weideman has got to have a bloody fantastic career if it takes him 5 years to get to his best, we’re as Oliver was given you gun production from pretty much day 1. Weideman could have a better year than anyone, but over a 10-12 year career, 1 year really means nothing.

I do know what your saying, KPP are always gonna be unfairly judged, but would be unfair on Oliver and other guys who have played (more) consistently for the first part of their career. Oliver a bit of an outlier, guys like Dunkley, Greenwood, Mills shouldn’t be pushed done because they’re smaller guys.

Before putting Weideman too far up the order you’d want to see some real consistency going into next year. But very happy with his last three games. Has stood up when we needed it and was BOG in a final in his 18th game.

My 2015 Re-Do of the Draft

1. Clayton Oliver (Pick 4)
2. Charlie Curnow (Pick 12)
3. Tom Phillips (Pick 58)
4. Eric Hipwood (Pick 14)
5. Josh Dunkley (Pick 25)
6. Sam Menegola (Pick 66)
7. Callum Mills (Pick 3)
8. Jade Gresham (Pick 18)
9. Hugh Greenwood (RD (Rookie Draft) Rick 48)
10. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (RD Pick 22)
11. Ryan Burton (Pick 19)
12. Daniel Rioli (Pick 15)
13. Tom Doedee (Pick 17)
14. Bailey Williams (Pick 48)
15. Tom Papley (RD Pick 14)
16. Wayne Milera (Pick 11)
17. Harry McKay (Pick 10)
18. Blake Hardwick (Pick 44)
19. Darcy Parish (Pick 5)
20. Harry Himmelberg (Pick 16)
21. Brayden Fiorini (Pick 20)
22. Matthew Kennedy (Pick 13)
23. Dan Houston (RD Pick 45)
24. Aaron Francis (Pick 6)
25. Jacob Hopper (Pick 7)
26. Mitch Brown (Pick 54)
27. Nathan Broad (Pick 67)
28. Sam Reid (GWS) (RD Pick 8)
29. Tom Cole (Pick 36)
30. Riley Bonner (Pick 37)
31. Jacob Weitering (Pick 1)
32. Callum Ah Chee (Pick 8)
33. Ryan Clarke (Pick 31)
34. Brayden Sier (Pick 32)
35. Jack Silvagni (Pick 53)
36. Mason Redman (Pick 30)
37. Sam Weideman (Pick 9)
38. Rhys Mathieson (Pick 39)
39. Darcy Macpherson (RD Pick 21)
40. Josh Schache (Pick 2)

List of Players that missed out (in order of their draft pick)

Ben McKay (21), Kieran Lovell (22), David Cuningham (23), Ben Keays (24), Darcy Tucker (27), Luke Partington (28), Alex Morgan (29), Mitchell Hibberd (33), Josh Schoenfeld (34), Marcus Adams (35), Brandon White (40), Matthew Flynn (41), Aidyn Johnson (45), Sam Skinner (47), Bailey Rice (49), Oleg Markov (50), Jordan Dawson (56), Kurt Mutimer (57), Declan Mountford (60), Matthew Allen (62), Rupert Wills (63), Ben Crocker (65), Michael Hartley (68), Wylie Buzza (69), Josh Wagner (RD 6), Will Snelling (RD 10), Brad Lynch (RD 11), Callum Moore (RD 12), Paul Hunter (RD 13), Josh Smith (RD 25), Daniel Lloyd (RD 26), James Parsons (RD 27), Cameron Hewett (RD 28), Mabior Chol (RD 30), Ryan Nyhuis (RD 34), Joel Smith (RD 41), Alex Keath (RD 58), Conor Glass (RD 62), Sam Murray (RD 66), Jesse Joyce (RD 67), Colin O'Riordan (RD 69)
Great list

Weideman has had some finish to the year, along with Francis.
Reckon both are a good chance for top 10 by end of next season
Sier looks a beast too.

So many gems coming out of this draft.

Redmans 2 games this year gave me hope he'll make it. Then got injured :(
But looked the right balance of aggression, awareness and ball use. Keen to see him put a good run of games together at AFL level, and hopefully the injury doesn't interrupt the continuity he had going from AFL level.

Lol some of these re-do's are pretty funny.

I'll have a go (Not current output. Who I would genuinely take in what order based on how I rate their talent and predicted output over their career):

Oliver
Curnow
Jade Gresham
Cal Mills
Hipwood
Mckay
Rioli
Menegola
Himmelberg
Hopper
Milera
Doedee
Burton
Weideman
Francis
Weitering
Dunkley
Ah Chee
Parish
Hardwick
Bonner
Cole
Fiorini
B. Mckay
Kennedy
Schache

Last edited:
Lol some of these re-do's are pretty funny.

I'll have a go (Not current output. Who I would genuinely take in what order based on how I rate their talent and predicted output over their career):

Oliver
Curnow
Jade Grasham
Cal Mills
Hipwood
Mckay
Rioli
Menegola
Himmelberg
Hopper
Milera
Doedee
Burton
Weideman
Francis
Weitering
Dunkley
Ah Chee
Parish
Hardwick
Bonner
Cole
Fiorini
B. Mckay
Kennedy
Schache

Cal Mills
Oliver
Curnow
Hipwood
Doedee
Burton
Dunkley
Parish
Williams
Himmelberg
Bonner
Jade Grasham
Mckay
Rioli
Menegola
Hopper
Milera
Schache
Weideman
Francis
Weitering
Ah Chee
Hardwick
Fiorini
B. Mckay
Kennedy

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will be arguing with Melbourne and Carlton supporters about pick 1 from next season.
Off the back of 1 good game. I love the off season.

Oliver is an All Australian and came 2nd in the Dee's B&F.

Waikikamukau V Winx

As strong as Sier is, his lack of athleticism will never see him reach Oliver heights.
Stamina or fitness is his issue. He is quick and his acceleration is also excellent. Sub 3 sec 20 metre if i remember correctly. He is still raw though and many pies fans overate his current performances imo.

The amount of redos that have Harry McKay above Jacob Weitering is quite staggering. Harry has played 15 games, Jacob 56.

Weitering had an excellent 2016, poor 2017, and reasonably good 2018 (especially the back half games).

Harry has done barely anything at all.
Jacob has been under siege down back for his entire career.

Actually in 2017, Brendon Bolton moved him up forward which was one of the worst decisions of his entire coaching career. Pretty much ruined the kids confidence, which has only come back in the last half of the season just gone.

Weitering is not a KPP bust, in the same way that Alex Rance was not a bust a that same stage. Note, Rance played 25 AFL games in his first 3 years. All those games Alex played in the VFL do not make him a bust once the career is fully taken into account.

Also, at the same age that Jacob Weitering is now, Jeremy McGovern had not played a single AFL game, he debuted at 22 (2 years older than Jacob is now). KPP backs take years to flourish; we don't know where Weitering will end up. He may be a bust, but I have seen enough to believe that we will be a very good KPP backman for us.

Note, I am not saying in a redo we would take Weitering again with Pick 1, obviously not. But it is way WAY to early to close the book on him, KPP guys simply take far longer to impact.

Lastly, in my redo I would take Jacob Weitering above Harry McKay, probably somewhere in the low teens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back