Player Watch #23 Bernie Vince - Retired - Thanks Bernie

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Bernie. He came to our club when we were genuinely struggling, and put up with being part of a losing team for so long until the tide eventually started turning last year. I’d say there’s a lot of players on our list now looking forward to the positive future that didn’t experience the dark days that Bernie did, and a lot of players who can thank Bernie for being around to pass on his experience and knowledge of playing at the highest level.

In the clubs lowest points Bernie was one of those guys who gave us hope for the future. Well done.

Thanks Bernard, at time when it def wasn't fashionable to come to Melbourne, you did, probably knowing that you wouldn't be round for a premiership tilt, here we are though and despite the injury know that you've played a massive part in us being here. You've done gods work for this club my friend. I tip my cap to you on a great career.

Personal Melbourne favs;

Your battles with Danger always were fantastic.

Loved how you genuinely brought maximum effort everytime you played against the Crows, like you had something to prove, even in the twighlight of your career, this year. Love players who take a trade personally. :hearts:

The win vs the Cats as massive outsiders at KP in 2015 my personal fav Bernie Vince game, if you guys get the chance to rewatch that game (and why wouldn't one?? especially this week) sit back and admire a clinic by #23. He was massive that day, and that goal in the last quarter still gives me shivers, kicking on both sides of the body is a lost art today, Bern was one of the absolute finest.

Last edited:
Oh and responsible for one of all time fav paragraphs in supermercado's book "The Great Deepression" via the loss to St.Kilda the previous round to the win against the Cats above:

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 4.13.43 pm.png

:tongueclosed::tearsofjoy::tongueclosed:

Bernie really helped the club get back on it's feet. Was quite a shock when it happened but very glad it did. Probably my favourite memory was the joy on Bernie's face when we knocked off Adelaide in Adelaide in 14. Probably because it was a sign we were back on track. Thanks for your time Bernie.

Well Bernie. Thanks for being here when things were at there direst. I hope you can be around in the coaches box. Who knows.

I imagine Bernie will be siting on a throne with a red and blue toga around himself.

What ever you do Bern, I hope you are successful.

Godspeed
MarcMaverick.

Speculating here but the language used in Nathan Jones instagram tribute to him ("so many good times on and off the field and she's not done just yet!") and Gawn's instagram story ("Terrific innings. Couple more still to come ;)" ) has me wondering if we may see him one more time in the red and blue this year :think:

Speculating here but the language used in Nathan Jones instagram tribute to him ("so many good times on and off the field and she's not done just yet!") and Gawn's instagram story ("Terrific innings. Couple more still to come ;)" ) has me wondering if we may see him one more time in the red and blue this year :think:

So you’re saying that they can see the future and he will play in a GF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legend of a bloke and a great player. Very tough, highly skilful and just loves the game.

Thanks for coming to the Dee’s Bernie and giving us your all. We’ll miss you.

Oh and responsible for one of all time fav paragraphs in supermercado's book "The Great Deepression" via the loss to St.Kilda the previous round to the win against the Cats above:

View attachment 551863

:tongueclosed::tearsofjoy::tongueclosed:

Gus kicks on both sides but Bern was better on both, crazy how few players could execute that now if given a 100 attempts

Well hopefully the ultimate prize is around the corner. And it is players like Vince that will have worked in the background to make that happen.

All the best for him, and congratulations on playing OVER 200 games that is an amazing personal achievement.

I don’t think there’s any better indicator of how important he’s been to us than how well we’ve gone against Adelaide since 2014. We’ve had no right to be beating them in that period, especially at AO, and he’s been a massive part of the improvement that’s allowed us to compete with his old club

Love you Bernie. Great player and one of the good ones that brings some joy and fun to the contest. Fans are always grateful for those moments.

The best Demon off both sides. Though that bastard is responsible for my second blood nose in a lifetime when I tried to see if I could kick off my left in Bernie style (God knows why, I’d already failed dismally on my purported dominant side) and drilled the ball into my face.

I’ve decided to drink a million or so assorted toasts tomorrow. Thanks Bernie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back