Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Extraodinary !, if he was he'd be AA. He has been very good and steady , but he's one calf off the end.
It's a selfish decision and we can only hope we don't lose a young player like Dawson.

I used to worry about the injury factor but then I took Sam Reid, AJ, etc into account & realised that we have had great value from Macca & if you go into seasons worrying about that then we need to get rid of all injury prone players no matter what age.
Apart from the collarbone which was an impact injury, Macca has been quite resilient this season.

Now that I have said that, he'll pop his calf getting a coffee at the same cafe that broke Mills' foot.

What I find remarkable about him is that he has somehow managed to go from looking just about finished for a significant portion of last year to looking far from it for the vast majority of this year. I'd love to know what if anything he has changed about his training or preparation to have made such a strong bounce back.
He said today that this year was his first full pre season in 3-4 years

Extraodinary !, if he was he'd be AA. He has been very good and steady , but he's one calf off the end.
It's a selfish decision and we can only hope we don't lose a young player like Dawson.

That's the thing I'm worrying about, we better not have another situation post season with Dawson leaving.

Why would either of you think that retaining McVeigh for one more year would push Dawson out? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Why would either of you think that retaining McVeigh for one more year would push Dawson out? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Has happened before with us though with Membrey leaving.

We better not be losing good players. If we aren’t playing Dawson round 1 next year I’ll lose it.

In terms of position, I would say Dawson is mid or a forward, McVeigh in back. But salary is another :huh:
In 2019 ,down back we have contracts expiring for Jones, Rampe, Smith and McVeigh. Possibly also Grundy he he also re-signs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has happened before with us though with Membrey leaving.

We better not be losing good players. If we aren’t playing Dawson round 1 next year I’ll lose it.

Dawson is contracted for next season. I don't see why McVeigh signing on would force him out.

Lloyd, Newman and Marsh on the other hand... I suspect one or two of them won't be on the list in 2019, in part at least because of us retaining McVeigh.

Lloyd, Newman and Marsh on the other hand... I suspect one or two of them won't be on the list in 2019, in part at least because of us retaining McVeigh.
There has been rumours and talk on here for the last three months that one or all of them will be gone next year, now all of a sudden its because we re-signed McVeigh for another season?

Sheeesh, talk about make it up as you go....

Off topic, but when was hanneberrys last full one?

And the McVeigh re-signing is great news. He's earned it.
I was wondering the same, thinking about Hanners moving on then with a full pre season under his belt....could be Mitchell all over again!!!

There has been rumours and talk on here for the last three months that one or all of them will be gone next year, now all of a sudden its because we re-signed McVeigh for another season?

Sheeesh, talk about make it up as you go....

Making it up as I go? All of a sudden?

I don't think that is a particularly accurate or fair reading of what I just said.

I have been saying for a while now that the the McVeigh decision is going to have an impact on our ability to retain other players - we take him on for an extra season, we take up a spot on the list, we take up salary cap space, and that potentially will force our hand on a player who could be around for longer. I first made this point in a post back at the start of July.

You are right, there has been a lot of speculation about McVeigh, Lloyd, Newman and Marsh for a while. The speculation around each of those players feeds in to the others - they are all senior players competing for the same few positions in the same or at least similar roles. Any one of them getting a contract for next year was going to have a knock on effect to the others. Any of them getting cut, or retired or traded increases the likelihood that we would want to retain one or more of the others. We probably don't need all four of them competing for two positions in the back six, but I'd say we wouldn't want to lose more than two of them at the same time too.

If you re-read what I just said, I noted that in relation to Lloyd, Newman and Marsh "I suspect one or two of them won't be on the list in 2019, in part at least because of us retaining McVeigh".

So, I'm not blaming McVeigh if any of the other players are traded or delisted, but you would be foolish to think that the decision on keeping McVeigh was made without an awareness of what is happening with Lloyd, Newman and Marsh. McVeigh being on the list will impact on our ability to offer these players money or a position on the field. It also impacts on how much we would feel their absence too. There are other factors in play, what we might get offered in trades for Newman or Lloyd, other players we might be keen to trade in who would fill similar roles, our assessment of whether or not there is more improvement to be found from Newman or Marsh, how much money they are looking for and how much we have to spend...

So, as I said, keeping McVeigh on for 2019 in part, not completely, shapes our decisions on these other players. After months of speculation about all these players we are starting to see the final decisions being made. Had today's announcement been that McVeigh was retiring or seeking opportunities at another club a la Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis, I would have said that it seemed a little more likely that Lloyd, Newman and/or Marsh would be on the list next season. Instead, with McVeigh signing on for another year, it makes sense to think that losing one or more of those players is a little more certain. I wouldn't have though that was anything too controversial or nonsensical.

Last edited:
Had a fantastic year and no reason why he doesn’t deserve an extension. By the time 2019 rolls around though, he’ll be that 6 months older so I’d be using as depth/leadership/coaching and anything else is a bonus (because his form would warrant it).
I tell you something, he is a shitload better than our current depth players if that is what his role boils down to.

Ha Ha ! You can't help yourself Old Mate. Look at it this way. If you think him extending could cost Dawson then your memory is short. Goodes may have kept Membrey out of a game for his last 2 seasons and I would argue that McVeigh's last 2 seasons may be more productive than Adam's. Not comparing their playing career's or ability of course just sayin. You do see where i'm coming from don't you ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back