List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
Jack had a few good moments on the weekend but just can't find the ball much anymore. It's frustrating because he's still seems to read the game and kick to the right spaces in glimpses but just can't put a full game together anymore..
I thought Jack was better on saturday than he had been prior to his injury, but maybe that's more my perception because we've been soooooo terrible the past two weeks.

I thought Jack was better on saturday than he had been prior to his injury, but maybe that's more my perception because we've been soooooo terrible the past two weeks.
No, I don't think so... He's nowhere near his best, but no clangers, 5 inside 50s and 5 tackles for 75% time on ground was pretty good for his first game back from injury. If he improves on that next week, I'll be happy.

With Jack you need to think that he knows where & when to run & he was very important for a few centre contests for when the other senior blokes needed a chop out. Yeah he may not be able to do what he used to but the old blokes need some help & the young blokes really do need some old tough heads around them & if we can get Hanners back in a few weeks, even if not at his best, we get more experience out there.2019 is another season so I like to see what we can do to get some momentum & make finals & take some scalps when last week it seemed all over red rover.

post 30 years old should be rolling 1 year contracts.
Probably are, unless your multi year contract finishes up at 31. I reckon there would be very few that are different, Jack being one of them.

I think that the trade ban may have influenced some of these contracts, together with the ongoing lack of early picks*. It's been clear for a while that we were going to be short of players in the 125-175 game range, and we needed to keep some experience to cover that.

EDIT: *Not to mention a few errant picks!

Jack does a lot of small things that help others and being them into the game. He can still quick enough and can dodge through a pack and delivers a nice ball inside 50. I hope his injuries are behind him and he can build from here. He's one of the guys who can help take us deep into finals and will be essential for our younger guys.

Our worst contracts

Jack- 2019- Yikes
Longmire 2020- why did he get so long
Rohan 2020- starting to look awful
Hannebery 2021- 2 subpar years and 3 years to run on his contract?
Reid 2021- missed 2 of the last 3 years and has 3 years left...

kennedy 2020 could look bad by next year but made sense at the time.
Too early to call on most of these but most made sense at the time. Only fairytale princes have crystal balls.

I'd like him to play but we've got a few weeks at least & as we found out only a month ago, plenty can change in a flash.
Definitely good enough & keen enough to go one more.

McVeigh is a tough decision. You always run the risk of going one year too long with senior players.

Part of what would factor in to the decision is the effect of retaining him on the list on our ability to make list decisions for the medium to long term. Does retaining McVeigh make it harder to retain Lloyd, for example. Even if he was able to go around again next year, is that worth losing a player who can be on the list for the best part of the next decade?

It feels like Hawthorn is a good example to follow here - Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell were/are all able to contribute at AFL level for a few years after they left the Hawks, but you would have to think that if they had stayed at the Hawks, taking up a fair chunk of the salary cap and blocking younger players from getting senior experience, then we would be coming up against a team out of the 8 in a major rebuild next weekend rather than a direct rival for a place in the top 4.

I'm inclined to say that with Lloyd, Jones, Mills, O'Riordan and Newman on the list we have some very good young options across the half back line. None can replace McVeigh and his experience directly, but it makes me feel that it is better for the medium term to place faith in the next generation, to free up the money and the spot on the list. I would expect McVeigh to continue to play on next year somewhere else, I think he still has something to offer, particularly a younger team that needs organisation and leadership.

It is a hard call on a club champion, but sometimes you need to make those, to be pragmatic rather than sentimental, if you want to be successful.

Can someone tell me does tippetts salary go on our cap in 2019. Please tell me no

I was listening to Sen earlier this week and they explained that Vickery's contract would not be included in Hawks cap this year because he retired before this current contract season (October 31st).

If you take that into account for Tippett then he is likely included in our cap this year since he retired after November 1st but should not be included in next years cap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They also mentioned that all free agents full contracts are included in the teams caps even if they retire early, so this is not just a Buddy rule.

I was listening to Sen earlier this week and they explained that Vickery's contract would not be included in Hawks cap this year because he retired before this current contract season (October 31st).
Tippett wasnt a free agent hes contract expired from the adelaide trade. We extented him from a clause. So was a contract extention

If you take that into account for Tippett then he is likely included in our cap this year since he retired after November 1st but should not be included in next years cap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They also mentioned that all free agents full contracts are included in the teams caps even if they retire early, so this is not just a Buddy rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vickery was still on the contract from when he signed as a free agent, that's why it gets carried over until the end of the contract. Tippett's last contract wasn't signed by him when he was a free agent so the end of the contract isn't as important

I am aware of that. It was just an interesting side fact they mentioned since I had never heard of any other players full contract being included in the cap

It depends on what the final payout negotiated between the player and the club is. If the player is retiring due to injury and the AFL through independent medical reports accepts this then a formula is used to determine whether the final payment is included in the year of retirement or into next years cap.

There are different rules in place for contracts singed under free agency such as Lance which means they are fully included in the cap even if the player leaves early and forgoes the final year(s) of salary.

What's the feeling on Lloyd? The media seems to be thinking he's gone which would be a massive loss in my opinion.

On the one hand, McVeigh is still playing great football, he is a very influential player across the backline and I'm pretty sure he can continue to contribute into next season. We are almost definitely losing Grundy, so this also means we are staggering that transition in defence. In the short term I think it makes sense and I'm happy we have him for 2019.

On the other hand, I don't think he realistically has much longer than that. All eyes turn to Lloyd now - does retaining McVeigh impinge on our ability to offer Lloyd enough money to keep him here? It probably means that there is an increase in the pressure on the Marsh/Fox/Robinson/Towers group too, Marsh in particular. Hopefully we don't come to see this as one season too far and a decision that cost us the ability to better plan for the future.

Decisions to be made with Grundy and AJ but I think the rest of the list barring some rookies will be delisted or traded.

How many can we delist? You have to have SOME depth.

Assuming Rose, Foote, Grundy, Tippett are off that's 4 draftees. We'll be spending a lot of points on Blakey (maybe Hannebery and/or Lloyd will pay for that).

Do you want to replace Marsh, Newman, Robbo, and Towers with Round 6 draftees?

I'd definitely be keeping Robbo and Towers. Newman and Marsh might find it hard with Stoddart, Ling, COR, and of course Mills waiting in the wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back