The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I originally started this thread back in April 2013 when any minor good thing seemed something worth clinging to. It was an attempt to find some positives at a time when doom and gloom seemed very much the norm.

At the time I hoped the thread would one day run its course and die off because we would be overwhelmed with positive stories everywhere. It took much longer than I hoped and we are not quite there yet, but this season it feels like every week there has been another great positive story or two. This season there have been setbacks and disappointments, as there always will, but it feels like desperate hope has gradually transforming into real hope and begun to transform again into expectation.

April 2013 seems a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Love your words. I’d hope this thread stays up regardless, because with rising expectations we still would need a place at the end of the day to just appreciate the positives.

This thread has been like an old comfortable sofa that one gratefully seeks out when one is feeling tired and worn out and dejected

I dream of the day where we are so good that we chuck the old sofa on the footpath for the next Council collection

Until then.........carry on

Last edited:
Love your words. I’d hope this thread stays up regardless, because with rising expectations we still would need a place at the end of the day to just appreciate the positives.
Couldn't agree more. Well said Buttermuffs. This thread is the one thread that's always positive. (unlike the others) Please keep it going AFLQLD. Its the one thread that I read each week & enjoy the read each week.

Mitch made it over the first hurdle and wasn't delisted. Next hurdle is surviving the trade period in lions colours.

Feel for the guys delisted - they have done their very best for us and deserve our thanks. So, thanks Bewick, bell, paperone, beams and Barrett. You have seen us through some awful times. I hope you have more success in the next phase and you enjoy telling your kids that you were elite Australian professional athletes. Something very few of us can claim.

Think Higgins has got Goal of the Year in the bag, but Charlie would have to be a good chance for Mark of the Year. Would've helped him if BT didn't completely **** the call :mad:
Charlie’s goal was the best footballing effort. Hopefully enough people think Higgins’s goal was a throw, but it’s going to be tough - 100,000 Richmond supporters will vote for it.
For me the mark of the year is between Charlie and Heeney. A tough call - both very similar marks - Charlie’s was a bigger leap.

Can’t wait to see him in action again next season!

Edit: I hope everyone gets on board and votes for Charlie!

Charlie’s goal was the best footballing effort. Hopefully enough people think Higgins’s goal was a throw, but it’s going to be tough - 100,000 Richmond supporters will vote for it.
For me the mark of the year is between Charlie and Heeney. A tough call - both very similar marks - Charlie’s was a bigger leap.

Can’t wait to see him in action again next season!

Edit: I hope everyone gets on board and votes for Charlie!

If I'm being unbiased, I reckon most AFL footballers could kick the goal Higgins kicked. Charlie's goal is on another level imo. The effort leading to the shot and the shot itself - all incredible.

He should win goal of the year. Higgins will though

Surprised Higgins even won goal of the week

If I'm being unbiased, I reckon most AFL footballers could kick the goal Higgins kicked. Charlie's goal is on another level imo. The effort leading to the shot and the shot itself - all incredible.
This is why I like Charlie’s goal more than either Parker or Higgins goal. His effort and skill was immense.

For the record, I also like Rayner’s mark more than any of these too!

So many goals and marks from other teams (and Brisbane) didn't make it in, like that guy that bumped the umpire and apologized then kicked a goal.

Cameron has a good chance of getting both I reckon though.

Are the winners of the goal and mark of the year popularity competitions or voted by an impartial group, because if it is voted by the “fans”, then Higgins and probably Howe will win the respective awards, which really is farcical?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the winners of the goal and mark of the year popularity competitions or voted by an impartial group, because if it is voted by the “fans”, then Higgins and probably Howe will win the respective awards, which really is farcical?
Apparently 10 judges (same as AA voting I think?) vote 3-2-1 and the fans count as the 11 judge.

Apparently 10 judges (same as AA voting I think?) vote 3-2-1 and the fans count as the 11 judge.
So probably still heavily skewed to players playing for Vic clubs which even when I made my previous post I thought wouldn’t matter whether it was a popularity contest or otherwise.

Don’t mind me.

I'm as one-eyed as you get but I think Higgins' should win GOTY. Watching that game in a pub, I've never seen a crowd of people erupt like they did when he pulled that off. The unexpectedness and creativity of it makes it an absolute stand-out for mine.

I'm in the Higgins for GOTY camp. Charlie's effort superb and I loved watching him this year (or for half of it anyway) but I've never seen anyone kick a goal like Higgins did. That's one of the all-time for me.

Wasn’t Higgins like 5cm from the goal line; I don’t see anything special about it just like I still can’t believe Matthew Lloyd won GOTY from two metres out by kicking it with his heel.

Cameron’s by a mile, was very Andrew Bews-esque when he was a Catwhen he won GOTY before he joined the Bears.

I'm in the Higgins for GOTY camp. Charlie's effort superb and I loved watching him this year (or for half of it anyway) but I've never seen anyone kick a goal like Higgins did. That's one of the all-time for me.
I just cant quite get past the fact it looks like a throw to me

I just cant quite get past the fact it looks like a throw to me
I'm comfortable with it not being called a throw. We can't sanitize the game entirely. I'm sure if it had been a disposal (to another player) it would have been called, but to me it was just a freakish bit of play that was worthy of the GOTY runner-up. :D

I think Higgins is a throw. By definition to propel something upwards you need to throw it. Not discounting the effort needed to do what he did. Not to mention the smarts. But still IMO it's a throw.

I think Higgins is a throw. By definition to propel something upwards you need to throw it. Not discounting the effort needed to do what he did. Not to mention the smarts. But still IMO it's a throw.

It happens so fast in real time that you just can't tell. In real time I thought he handballed it. Higgins' and Cameron's still better goals than Parker's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back