Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmn ... who are our 5 best field kicks?

1 McVeigh
2 Franklin
3 Dawson
4 Reg
5 Mills

Would swap Mills for Lloyd.

Wish Heeney's kicking would come back.

People hear what they want to hear Punts. John stated facts.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/124c53b586ff5295fc6fdf45396c1d72

Coach John Longmire confirmed his star defender hadn’t approached the club about playing on after signing a one-year deal last year with a view to move into coaching in 2019.

“He’s been really good, at the moment he’s retiring at the end of this year, that’s what the plan is,” Longmire told SEN.

“We haven’t had any discussions contrary to that, but he’s been playing well, he’s really contributing every week, but we haven’t had any of those discussions yet.”

“The plan was set at the end of last year and we haven’t spoken about any adjustment to that at all at this point.”
Yep very poor by horse

Maybe it is a fitness issue with Heeney. In his first season he looked a terrific natural kick. Now he is playing a lot of time in the mids, maybe he is both under more pressure when kicking and exhausted.

Lloyd and Hewett (who I should have thought about) are more reliable kicks than top liners.

Yep very poor by horse

You say yep like that was my point, and it wasn’t?

Media asks him a question on the spot:
Horse, McVeigh still retiring?

Horse:
That was the plan, we haven’t discussed it since and Jarrad hasn’t indicated he wants to play on so unless other discussions are had, it is the plan

That pretty much paraphrases it. Don’t really see the issue with his comments or why it is poor. He didn’t say Yep, he is gone we don’t want him. He stated the known facts of discussion at that point in time, nothing more.

You say yep like that was my point, and it wasn’t?

Media asks him a question on the spot:
Horse, McVeigh still retiring?

Horse:
That was the plan, we haven’t discussed it since and Jarrad hasn’t indicated he wants to play on so unless other discussions are had, it is the plan

That pretty much paraphrases it. Don’t really see the issue with his comments or why it is poor. He didn’t say Yep, he is gone we don’t want him. He stated the known facts of discussion at that point in time, nothing more.
Yep

Sorry. I am on the other side.

This captain selected himself and was nearly the worst Swans player in the 2016 GF. Rohan and X were worse.

2 baulks and 3 great kicks and the rest 25m Lloyd sideway kicks doesn't make his games great but it does for a lot here.

I will never forgive McVeigh & Longmire for their 2016 GF selections.

We are and will always be safe and largely risk averse until the club changes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It feels like your anger overs 2016 is clouding your judgement of his current output. He’s valuable (not great) this year. The team is better with him there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't source it but I have a vivid memory of McVeigh at the start of 2006 saying he and Malceski were determined they would work doubly hard to ensure they experienced the same success of the 05 Grannie winning 22.

Over the last few years I've been critical of him, but this year he has been remarkable. I'm not sure how his defence has picked up, a few years back when he was defending on the wing he'd get targeted by the opposition to run off him. This year whatever he is doing is fantastic and his kicking one of the few positives from our 22 concerning hitting targets consistently. Quite glad he's playing on now.

His form demanded an extension, but can this be sustained?

Early this year a Hodge type deal at GoCo looked suitable.

If he is half as clever as reputed he will enter head coaching durin the next

His form demanded an extension, but can this be sustained?

Early this year a Hodge type deal at GoCo looked suitable.

If he is half as clever as reputed he will enter head coaching durin the next
Captain-coach when Horse is pushed out mid-season by a board uprising (not the actual Swans board, the Bigfooty Swans board).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-21/evergreen-swans-star-not-contemplating-2020-vision

Evergreen Swans star not contemplating 2020 vision

McVeigh told AFL.com.au his relationship with the coach was extremely strong and open, but they haven't spoken about 2020 at all.

"Those questions will always come (from the media), but that works itself out towards the back-end of the year or whenever that might be," he said.

"I'm just focused on having my best year ever and that’s all I've ever tried to do.

"I feel good at the moment, it's always nice to train hard and train well because that usually leads into a pretty good season.

"The number of games I've played doesn't bother me at all. It's all about how many games we're winning and how many premierships you get.

"The older guys I played with taught me so much and hopefully I'm doing the same thing to our kids coming through now."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-21/evergreen-swans-star-not-contemplating-2020-vision

I'm still not sure whether Macca pulled the right rein, saddling up for this season. In terms of his long term future I would have thought a year in a Hodge role at the GoCo may have served him better.

Still, it is great he seems in such fine fettle and is clearly fired up for 2019. He is such smart footballer and I hope all the kids (who he seems focussed on) listen deeply and learn both on the training track and in games.

I'm still not sure whether Macca pulled the right rein, saddling up for this season. In terms of his long term future I would have thought a year in a Hodge role at the GoCo may have served him better.

Still, it is great he seems in such fine fettle and is clearly fired up for 2019. He is such smart footballer and I hope all the kids (who he seems focussed on) listen deeply and learn both on the training track and in games.
This is exciting. Kept me up this afternoon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back