Good Friday Football Under Threat

After finally caving in and allowing North to play their much desired Good Friday fixture there is talk that the AFL will scrap it after just 2 years.

Low crowd numbers and supposed minimal impact on the appeal would appear to be the 2 reasons this is coming under question by the head office.

So what's the answer? Personally I dont think 2 years is enough to make a call on it and I think rotating Norths opponent will probably impact the "unique feel" of the day. Should just set 2 teams in and give them 5 years to build the clash into something special.

Thoughts? Should Good Friday footy stay? Should it be a set game?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually think the concept is a bit of a dud. You can see the thinking behind it and it was definitely worth a shot... but it’s not exactly like other public holidays. It’s the first day of the only four-day weekend most people have all year, and so many people go away or actually look to do something with the weekend. Far from the holy grail of marquee slots, I don’t know if it’s really that special.

But we’ll never know if it’s capable of a huge crowd while low drawing teams play. Sure they may deserve it - absolutely so, and let them have it - but it’s just a simple fact that they’re never going to draw huge crowds. The AFL need to accept that.

Apr 20, 2001
Limerick Hotel
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Should have just left it at us V the Dogs and let the rivalry build.

Totally agree. Playing against the Saints was a big mistake. Hardly any of there supporters turned up, at least there was a fair contingent of Bulldogs supporters there in 2017. North drew its usual numbers (about 20k), the crowd difference was in the opposition.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Totally agree. Playing against the Saints was a big mistake. Hardly any of there supporters turned up, at least there was a fair contingent of Bulldogs supporters there in 2017. North drew its usual numbers (about 20k), the crowd difference was in the opposition.
That's not necessarily the Saints fault. Their fans had to pay to enter, rather than the free entry of North Melbourne Members.

To make the blockbuster work the 2 clubs need to be set with a rotation of who the home team is. Away team members are more likely to pay to enter if they know they will get in for free the following year. Every other blockbuster does this except for QB.

If they decide to throw in the towel on Good Friday Footy after ignoring North over a decade of campaigning, after ignoring Carlton as a team to play even though they actually put effort into the proposal, after slotting the Bulldogs in after absolutely no effort from them before or after being selected, and after removing them the very next year for St Kilda, I'll punch Gil in the kidneys.

They wanted this to fail, and now they'll probably shitcan it even though it hasn't.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Low crowd numbers and supposed minimal impact on the appeal would appear to be the 2 reasons this is coming under question by the head office.

TV ratings would be the only thing they care about. If it's rating well they'll keep it as ammo when negotiating the next rights. If ratings are poor they'll scrap it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why get rid of it though? It's only good for 7 and it's going to get more money, crowd, and attention than North v Bullies/Saints in any other random Sunday timeslot. Not to mention a marquee excuse for the AFL to pontificate about how good and ethical it is by attaching itself to not just a charity, but a children's charity.

The main issue was upsetting religious sorts or... some weird antiquated s**t like that. You do it once and the issue's gone.

They won't axe it.

And therein lies the problem. If it's to be a big game, the home team really need to draw more than 'usual'.

That usual is only 20K is also a concern, but that's another debate.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Should have just left it at us V the Dogs and let the rivalry build.

Particularly given the unusual sequence of very close games we have had. Dramatic finishes and good for building a real interest in the outcome for both competing clubs and neutrals...

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'll be glad to see it canned. Like many other supporters, it's the one day of the year that I can't enjoy watching footy.

Very happy that my team didn't play on Good Friday, but I felt sorry for the many supporters who missed out on watching their teams play because their match was scheduled on that day.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
upload_2018-8-31_13-49-18.png

2017 - exciting finish before a decent sized crowd. Good 1st effort.

But then in 2018, it all went pear shaped....

upload_2018-8-31_13-50-42.png

9000 less, and a lop sided final score although North supporters would have been happier with the result.

Rather than scrapping it, try playing it between North and their long time bitter rival Essendon. Give the Pies a Thursday night game, so both teams will have a decent break before ANZAC Day 6 days later.

If they had brains they would have Essendon v Melbourne as easter in 2019 leads into anzac day and also it would be Richmond v Collingwood on the thursday, but that would require brains and we all know the AFL have none.
this man makes sense

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
When the two teams both had 2.10.22 at half time, you know that's going to be a hard argument to keep playing football on Good Friday.

It's up there with the worst game I've ever paid money to see. And I've seen a lot of dire games involving the Saints.

I'd be happy if the Saints weren't involved. It seemed like North v Bulldogs had potential.

Also, don't put it on such a garbage timeslot. I think it started at 3:20pm? Just make it a night game.

Back