Rank in order the teams chances of winning the premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
So in order from best chance to worst chance of winning the premiership. Here's mine:

1. Richmond
2. Hawthorn
3. Collingwood
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. West Coast
7. Sydney
8. GWS

Purely opinion based so try to keep it mature and not have a go.

Richmond clearly the team to beat in my opinion, deserved favourites. Hawks you can never rule out with Clarko at the helm, master coach. I think Collingwood could have a chance if we get Howe, Treloar,Moore and Goldsack back which at the moment is looking likely.

Geelong i still think can give it a good shake, i have them beating Melbourne, i think they have an elite midfield and very good defence, they are good, but a little behind a few at the minute. Melbourne will push Geelong but just fall short, will have a good crack next year i reckon.

West coast i dont think can win it, no Gaff and nic nat, whilst they are a good chance to beat my boys, even IF they make it to the granny, i can not see them getting close to Richmond at the G.

Sydney i think will beat GWS, but cant see them progressing further than that. GWS way to many injuries to key players.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
1. Richmond - Best team in it
2. Hawthorn - Brilliant balance and coaching
3. West Coast - Massive home ground factor and aerial threat
4. Sydney - Star factor & hard at it approach
5. Geelong - Star factor & ability to damage quickly
6. Collingwood - Team balance
7. Melbourne - Offensive potential
8. GWS - Star factor

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
So in order from best chance to worst chance of winning the premiership. Here's mine:

1. Richmond
2. Hawthorn
3. Collingwood
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. West Coast
7. Sydney
8. GWS

Purely opinion based so try to keep it mature and not have a go.

Richmond clearly the team to beat in my opinion, deserved favourites. Hawks you can never rule out with Clarko at the helm, master coach. I think Collingwood could have a chance if we get Howe, Treloar,Moore and Goldsack back which at the moment is looking likely.

Geelong i still think can give it a good shake, i have them beating Melbourne, i think they have an elite midfield and very good defence, they are good, but a little behind a few at the minute. Melbourne will push Geelong but just fall short, will have a good crack next year i reckon.

West coast i dont think can win it, no Gaff and nic nat, whilst they are a good chance to beat my boys, even IF they make it to the granny, i can not see them getting close to Richmond at the G.

Sydney i think will beat GWS, but cant see them progressing further than that. GWS way to many injuries to key players.
Just abt right though Id swap eaglez and melbourne.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Richmond - obvious
Eagles - should make the GF
Geelong - experience and star factor
GWS - could explode with their ins
Hawks - similar to geelong but think they could go out in straight sets
Melbourne - scoring power
Pies - only beaten 1 top 8 side
Swans - don’t think the rope a dope gameplan will work against experienced sides

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond - (They are the best team in it and have nearly a full list to chose from)
Hawthorn - (Clarkson, he is quite simply the best at what he does)
Sydney - (Because they are Sydney, they are like cockroaches, hard to get rid of)
Big gap
Collingwood - (Fight to the end and some players may return but to many soldiers down)
West Coast - (No Nic Nat, No Gaff, No chance of beating Richmond or Hawthorn at the G)
Melbourne - (Not just yet. Don't trust them this year, good experience for them and look out next year)
Geelong - (How can you go wrong with GAJ, Danger, Selwood Bros, Duncan and Kelly in the middle? Easy when they are good with the ball but not so good without it)
GWS (The simple answer is injuries. You can have all the talent in the world on your list but if they are not on the park, they can't help you.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
So in order from best chance to worst chance of winning the premiership.

1. Richmond 18.5% chance
2. West Coast 18.5% chance
3. Hawthorn 18.5%
4. Collingwood 18.5%
5. Melbourne 6.25%
6. GWS 6.25%
7. Sydney 6.25%
8. Geelong 6.25%

First week is key. If West Coast lose the winner of Melbourne and Geelong I truly believe could go all way despite starting with only a small chance of winning 4 knock out finals. If GWS get through the tough first few weeks I'd almost back them in from there as long as Greene and Zac Williams are back by then but if West Coast and Richmond win week one going to be dull finals imo and end like the dull Hawks v Fremantle grand final year.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Richmond - obvious
Eagles - should make the GF
Geelong - experience and star factor
GWS - could explode with their ins
Hawks - similar to geelong but think they could go out in straight sets
Melbourne - scoring power
Pies - only beaten 1 top 8 side
Swans - don’t think the rope a dope gameplan will work against experienced sides
I believe the Swans have more wins this year against top eight sides this year than any other team...

That said, I give us close to no chance of winning the flag this year. I think we are some chance of beating pretty much every side on any given day (except maybe be Richmond) but I don’t think we have enough experienced, fit and in form players to win four weeks in a row.

Although I think we are a modest chance to beat the Giants next weekend, if they win I think they could go deep. They were unlucky with in game injuries against us a couple of weeks ago, plus get to add Kelly, Greene and probably Williams to their side. That said, they were very insipid against the Dees last weekend and I question their MCG ability/ belief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Richmond 18.5% chance
2. West Coast 18.5% chance
3. Hawthorn 18.5%
4. Collingwood 18.5%
5. Melbourne 6.25%
6. GWS 6.25%
7. Sydney 6.25%
8. Geelong 6.25%

First week is key. If West Coast lose the winner of Melbourne and Geelong I truly believe could go all way despite starting with only a small chance of winning 4 knock out finals. If GWS get through the tough first few weeks I'd almost back them in from there as long as Greene and Zac Williams are back by then but if West Coast and Richmond win week one going to be dull finals imo and end like the dull Hawks v Fremantle grand final year.
Given we've beaten WCE in Perth this year and lost to Collingwood at the MCG I'd say WCE losing lowers our chances of getting to the GF.

1. WCE (first part of winning is getting there, and with their HGA, they're near certainties)
2. Richmond (recent form hasn't been great, and as we've learned the past few years, September form is huge)
3. Hawthorn (If they can win next Thursday, they'll be in a very good position)

4. Collingwood
5. GWS
6. Melbourne
7. Sydney
8. Geelong

Leaving a 1% chance that WWIII breaks out and footy gets cancelled.

Richmond makes the GF, and as a result of the ensuing riots by the 'neutrals' of Big Footy, the game gets cancelled.

Flag gets awarded to the minor premiers.

ScarlettFever

Senior List
Sep 14, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Richmond - best team in it. I am not overly worried about their somewhat patchy, albeit, still winning form. They have had the top spot sown up for weeks and have been coasting since. Though, they will need (and I expect them to) hit another gear come finals.

West Coast - I am not bullish on West Coast being able to actually win on Grand final day but they will take some beating at home. They have put themselves in a good position to make the GF and from there anything can happen. I just think they are a few stars short (due to injuries/suspensions) to get the job done on the MCG.

Hawks - complete pack of crabs, but have to begrudgingly respect what they have been able to achieve. Clarkson and the recruiting department must be giving plaudits for the ability to regenerate so quickly. Top 4 gives them a good platform to have a crack and they have enough premiership stars left on the list to add to the flag list. Though, they could really do with a Rioli roaming around the MCG...

Melbourne/Geelong - I'm also a believer that the winner of this game could do some serious damage. Both are in form (although Geelong's could turn out to be a façade) and both have more than enough talent to take it up to all of the other teams. If Melbourne can keep their composure and get a win over us, they will be well and truly in the hunt for a GF berth. Geelong have been competitive in every game this year, but our finals form over the past few years has been mediocre to terrible, so it will be interesting to see how we go.

Pies - Done a great job to finish top 4 and pretty much beat all the teams that they should beat (which is no mean feat). I just feel that, when push comes to shove, the list they currently have available isn't quite good enough to match it with some of the other teams this year.

Sydney/GWS - both seem to be limping to the line and that isn't where you want to be at this stage of the season. Can never write Sydney off and GWS have the talent but I just don't think they are in a position to challenge this year. However, the bye may give them the rest needed to turn it all around.

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
1.Richmond - Finished top of ladder, highest % and great record at the MCG. Though slight downside in only scraping a win against non-final sides on the last two rounds. Hopefully not an indicator of drop of form or game plan figured out.

2.Geelong- They have the holy trinity. If they fire and their role players all 'click', they will be a very hard side to beat.

3. West Coast - Their tall forwards will be hard to stop if they return. Finished top 2 to have the double chance and home finals so a good chance to make the GF. Though if they play Geelong or an MCG home based side then may be disadvantaged for the GF.

4.Collingwood- They are a strange one to rate. I think of all the teams they are the best chance to knock off Richmond, but there are better teams than them who they are vulnerable to. They match up to Richmond well because Richmond's strength (a very good tall defence) is nullified because their forward line is all small except for Cox who is way to tall for even our tall defenders, and Richmond can't take advantage of their obvious weakness of a poor defence because we don't have a tall forward to take advantage of it (Jack is around 193cm and plays more like a medium forward). However, Collingwood would need to win against other teams who are a good chance to knock them off before they play Richmond (if Richmond are still in it).

5.Melbourne- they have a lot of talent on their list, but they struggled to put it all together to win against the top teams with exception of the last few rounds. The question is wheather those last few rounds is an indication they have finally put everything together or just a blip on the radar.

6.Sydney

7. Hawthorn

8. GWS

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back